Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:22 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,939 times

Advertisements

That is jacket weather in DV!

I assume the op will be driving a car, as long as he sticks to pavement, he will be a happy camper. If he goes off onto the dirt, all bets are off. so, OP, stick to pavement, your undercarriage clearance and your tires will get you into trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 09:28 AM

158 posts, read 332,249 times
What's the big deal about DV?

I vaguely remember hearing about it in the past. In late June, I met two Dutch guys who had spent about 10 days in California and Las Vegas, and they were going on and on about Death Valley. I couldn't understand why someone would come all the way from Europe to go there. Especially a first time visitor to the US?

Enlighten me please.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:24 AM

559 posts, read 1,379,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsIzzy View Post
What's the big deal about DV?

I vaguely remember hearing about it in the past. In late June, I met two Dutch guys who had spent about 10 days in California and Las Vegas, and they were going on and on about Death Valley. I couldn't understand why someone would come all the way from Europe to go there. Especially a first time visitor to the US?

Enlighten me please.
I'd imagine that Death Valley would be especially fascinating to Europeans since it would be so different from what they'd normally experience. Deserts don't appeal to everyone, but a subset of humans are absolutely enthralled by them. I knew a Spaniard who really enjoyed experiencing the 120+ degree temps of the DV summer.

If your conception of DV is just baked nothingness, you're dead (heh) wrong. DV is vast and very diverse, with all kinds of weirdness and unexpected sites like a waterfall.

That famous rock formation at Zabriskie Point looks like a gigantic fossilized trilobite. The panoramic view of the valley from Dante's View gave me that same sense of hugeness that I got from the Grand Canyon. The hexagonal, dried out "plates" at Badwater and the spiky formations at Devil's Golf Course will make you question whether you're still on Earth.

DV is huge with long driving distances between the major sites. It's forbidding even in a modern, air-conditioned car. It really makes you appreciate the fact that pioneers crossed it in covered wagons.

I had a similar attitude to yours and was completely surprised by the place. Definitely a California gem.

p.s. I went around November (I think) so highs were only around 80 while there was some snow in the mountain passes while entering the park.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:31 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
I'd imagine that Death Valley would be especially fascinating to Europeans since it would be so different from what they'd normally experience. Deserts don't appeal to everyone, but a subset of humans are absolutely enthralled by them. I knew a Spaniard who really enjoyed experiencing the 120+ degree temps of the DV summer.

If your conception of DV is just baked nothingness, you're dead (heh) wrong. DV is vast and very diverse, with all kinds of weirdness and unexpected sites like a waterfall.

That famous rock formation at Zabriskie Point looks like a gigantic fossilized trilobite. The panoramic view of the valley from Dante's View gave me that same sense of hugeness that I got from the Grand Canyon. The hexagonal, dried out "plates" at Badwater and the spiky formations at Devil's Golf Course will make you question whether you're still on Earth.

DV is huge with long driving distances between the major sites. It's forbidding even in a modern, air-conditioned car. It really makes you appreciate the fact that pioneers crossed it in covered wagons.

I had a similar attitude to yours and was completely surprised by the place. Definitely a California gem.

p.s. I went around November (I think) so highs were only around 80 while there was some snow in the mountain passes while entering the park.
Dead right! When we went a couple of years ago there were a group of Germans also visiting, who were quite fascinated with the place.

We went when it was really hot (May) and to get around the heat problems, we went out early in the morning and finished up by noon. Hid in our motel room in the afternoon and then ventured out in the evening to swim in the pool and eat.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post

I will check it out. Promise But NEVER in summer because I am not a heat lover. Gotta be cool for me.

By the way, how do you see all the different areas? Driving through? Walking? How big is the area???

Thanks for your perspective. It's way better than checking google

Old 09-30-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I will check it out. Promise But NEVER in summer because I am not a heat lover. Gotta be cool for me.

By the way, how do you see all the different areas? Driving through? Walking? How big is the area???

Thanks for your perspective. It's way better than checking google
I have spent forty years visiting DV, I have come to know the place well.

The Park is hugh, 5262 square miles (13630 km2) 3,336,000 acres. the basic geography is horst and graben.. What that means is; on the west is a graben, a large flat valley, Panamint Valley, Then a horst, the Panamint Range, then another Graben, Death Valley, and another horst, the Funeral mountains.

Each of these areas are full of things to see and experience. What one can see by sedan type car is limited to the paved roads and some mild dirt. What one can see from a Jeep! I have spent great amounts of time over the years in DV and I have not seen everything on my list.

There are high peaks, ghost towns, jeep trails that can curl your hair, back country cabins to stay in.

Here, some photos

Scotty's Castle

An upland valley, hours up a dirt road.

Me, at the infamous Chicken Rock.

Old Compadres at one of those back country cabins, this one just happens to be Charlie Manson's old digs.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I have spent forty years visiting DV, I have come to know the place well.

The Park is hugh, 5262 square miles (13630 km2) 3,336,000 acres. the basic geography is horst and graben.. What that means is; on the west is a graben, a large flat valley, Panamint Valley, Then a horst, the Panamint Range, then another Graben, Death Valley, and another horst, the Funeral mountains.

Each of these areas are full of things to see and experience. What one can see by sedan type car is limited to the paved roads and some mild dirt. What one can see from a Jeep! I have spent great amounts of time over the years in DV and I have not seen everything on my list.

There are high peaks, ghost towns, jeep trails that can curl your hair, back country cabins to stay in.

Here, some photos

Scotty's Castle

An upland valley, hours up a dirt road.

Me, at the infamous Chicken Rock.

Old Compadres at one of those back country cabins, this one just happens to be Charlie Manson's old digs.

OMG Those photos are amazing! I had no idea how large the area is. So definitely rent a jeep for a trip there, huh?

And is that the horrible Charles Manson you're talking about? The scumbag, low life, maggot that is still alive?

See, I'm so impressed already I did a search for a link with photos. How long a drive from Bakers?

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...view=slideshow

Last edited by MsIzzy; 09-30-2011 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: Adding link

Old 10-01-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
OMG Those photos are amazing! I had no idea how large the area is. So definitely rent a jeep for a trip there, huh?

And is that the horrible Charles Manson you're talking about? The scumbag, low life, maggot that is still alive?

See, I'm so impressed already I did a search for a link with photos. How long a drive from Bakers?

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
You can rent a Jeep at Furnace Creek Inn, pay attention to what the rental people tell you about where to go, and where not to go.

People do drive out, get stuck and die.

Don't let that scare you though, the rental people will be able to tell you safe but fun places to drive to.

Ubehebe Crater and Scotty's Castle are great, the Race Track is a great place and a fun and safe drive, don't go down Lippincott.

The Inyo Mine road is fun and the Inyo Mine is great to explore.

Chloride Cliff is a bit thrilling, and you can see the lowest spot and highest spot in the 48 states Badwater and Mt Whitney from the same spot.

The West Side road is a good drive with lots of history to see.

A side trip up Trail Canyon to some cabins is a good one.

Manson is alive, but locked up. His place was very cool, but spooky, my friends staying there did so inspite of the obvious creepy feeling there. There are reputed to be a number of bodies buried in the area. Charlie would send his girls out to the road to pick up rides from guys in VW, invite them back to the ranch, where Charlie would kill them, bury them and keep the VW.

The ranch burn't a couple of years ago when some other people staying in the house tipped over their cook stove and the place went up.

The road in from Baker is scenic, take 127 to Death Valley Junction.

The usual route from the Los Angeles area is to take 14 or 395, cutting off at Johannesburg to Trona, Trona to Panamint Valley, stop for a beer and sit on the porch at Panamint Springs Resort and you may well see navy fighters at 500 knts through the valley below you... Then cross over Townes pass on Hiway 190 into Death Valley proper.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
You can rent a Jeep at Furnace Creek Inn, pay attention to what the rental people tell you about where to go, and where not to go.

People do drive out, get stuck and die.

Don't let that scare you though, the rental people will be able to tell you safe but fun places to drive to.

Ubehebe Crater and Scotty's Castle are great, the Race Track is a great place and a fun and safe drive, don't go down Lippincott.

The Inyo Mine road is fun and the Inyo Mine is great to explore.

Chloride Cliff is a bit thrilling, and you can see the lowest spot and highest spot in the 48 states Badwater and Mt Whitney from the same spot.

The West Side road is a good drive with lots of history to see.

A side trip up Trail Canyon to some cabins is a good one.

Manson is alive, but locked up. His place was very cool, but spooky, my friends staying there did so inspite of the obvious creepy feeling there. There are reputed to be a number of bodies buried in the area. Charlie would send his girls out to the road to pick up rides from guys in VW, invite them back to the ranch, where Charlie would kill them, bury them and keep the VW.

The ranch burn't a couple of years ago when some other people staying in the house tipped over their cook stove and the place went up.

The road in from Baker is scenic, take 127 to Death Valley Junction.

The usual route from the Los Angeles area is to take 14 or 395, cutting off at Johannesburg to Trona, Trona to Panamint Valley, stop for a beer and sit on the porch at Panamint Springs Resort and you may well see navy fighters at 500 knts through the valley below you... Then cross over Townes pass on Hiway 190 into Death Valley proper.

Anything to do with Manson gives me shivers.

Who knew about all these wonderful sights in that area. Just goes to show. I travel all over Europe and miss out on some amazing stuff right here in the good USA Never too late though.

DV is now on my bucket list

Thanks for the tips. Can't believe people would be so dumb to go out there, get stuck and die. I'll be super careful, GPS and the whole nine yards. I would want to research such a trip ahead of time and have a good, safe, plan so we come back from an enjoyable adventure alive!

Are there park rangers? Marked trails?

Old 10-01-2011, 01:36 PM

GPS is how one woman killed her kid and her dog. DON'T USE GPS NAVIGATION SYSTEMS, EXCEPT ON ASPHALT IN THE PARK

She was a nurse from Las Vegas, she was trying to get to Ballarat, her navigation system took her up a dirt road, the road ended but her system showed a road, she drove further following the directions, hit a hole, got stuck, her boy 10 years old and dog died of thirst a week later.

The Park Service has been trying to get Garmin and the other companies to delete roads that never existed or no longer exist, but show on the systems, they are flat dangerous.

There are rangers, the chance of seeing one out side of the developed areas is slim to none. There are two marked trails that I know of in 3,000,000 acres.

There is little distance hiking done by the average visitor, You either hike on the flats, or up canyons in the hills.

For instance, there is a canyon with a use trail, not a maintained trail, 6 miles long, climbs 6,000 feet, the first three miles you are walking in water through a very nice creek. At the end of the hike at 7,000 feet is a fine ghost town with usable cabins.

I did not identify it, the Death Valley back country is best learned slow and careful. Saves on Search and Rescue costs.

By the way are you familiar with SPOT? I never go out into the woods, Mountains or deserts without it. http://findmespot.com/en/

It saved my life, it could save yours.
Just use the AAA Map and the Park Service map. If it has been an hour since you last saw someone, you are in the wrong place, turn around and go back. And just incase take two full gallons of drinking water, plus your daily water bottle or Camelback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California