Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:00 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times

Advertisements

In determining cost basis, knowing California real estate values for time of transfer is required. I know I can go to the newspaper office and look at archived papers, which may work.

Transfer upon inheritance, no sale involved.

Are there any slicker ways of doing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 09:08 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Zillow and Redfin have various levels of sale price histories both listed and non-listed properties.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:52 PM

Thank you for that, I shall check them out.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:04 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
I don't quite understand what you're saying. Do you mean you need the cost basis of a house that has been recently inherited?

If so you would get a stepped up cost basis that is the present value of the home at the person's death. No need to know any previous figures.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:36 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I don't quite understand what you're saying. Do you mean you need the cost basis of a house that has been recently inherited?

If so you would get a stepped up cost basis that is the present value of the home at the person's death. No need to know any previous figures.
This is correct. I used to work as RE Appraiser and the value of a home or property is based on current market value. The previous sales history, although interesting, is not an indicator of value today. Everything is market driven.

Derek

Old 10-14-2011, 07:47 AM

More info. The property was inherited in 1982, sold in 2010, the cost basis is required for taxes. As I understand it, that would be the gain or loss in value from the 1982 transfer to 2010.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:08 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
More info. The property was inherited in 1982, sold in 2010, the cost basis is required for taxes. As I understand it, that would be the gain or loss in value from the 1982 transfer to 2010.
Was the property assessed by the tax assessor during those times? Although not the best indicator of value it is still something which the county would consider as a legal document regarding value.

What you are asking for is the value of the properties' previous value for those two dates. That is a difficult thing to reliably establish. The reason for this is that value is based on a number of factors which change over time. Actually if the property sold in 2010 you only need to figure out the value in 1982. Unfortunately that's the harder one to establish.

Three places to start are:
1. Look at the market during those periods within 6 months to 1 years. Look at sales of similar properties during those periods. Realtors use MLS and other data sources which they pay for to obtain. I think you could also obtain this through other means. It helps if you have a realtor or know someone from a title company. Since 1982 is 30 year old data you have to really dig into the archives. It may be on microfiche or real estate transaction books somehwere. You won't find that info on common websites such as redfin or zillow, at least which I am aware of. Getting full sales history of neighboring properties is your best bet.

2. Look for any evidence of the properties condition during those periods such as photographs, etc...

3. Gather any previous sales history and accompanying documents such as appraisals and tax assessments around that time.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-14-2011 at 11:19 AM..

Old 10-14-2011, 11:49 AM

It is the 1982 value upon transfer that we need to determine. The assessed value as shown on the county records for 1982, is vastly less than the market price. Which if we went with that, we would get nailed on the gain.

I did call a local title company they are checking to see if they have records that they can easily pull. This search was supposed to be done by the accountant, but, he didn't, and taxes have to be submitted on Monday.

Thanks for your info.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:44 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
I had a similar situation and went to a realtor who was able to provide the information I needed. I don't remember the cost, but it was not substantial. Hope that helps.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I had a similar situation and went to a realtor who was able to provide the information I needed. I don't remember the cost, but it was not substantial. Hope that helps.
I have not found that realtors keep records of transactions going back 30 years. Even the title company was not able to help. So early tomorrow I make the 200 mile round trip to the County Courthouse. they will have the information on microfiche. Curious, in this day of microfiche and computer chips, America's important information is on Fiche and Chips....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California