Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 03:18 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allieoops View Post
So what is the update living in Palm Desert now all year round ?
One word: WATER. You'd better bring your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 04:18 PM

24 posts, read 71,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsoonvermont View Post
Aside from learning of all the druggies in Palm Springs recently, I also learned from my recent visit there that homelessness is rampant. I use the public library and while I was there I actually saw the same crowd of homeless addicts who I saw on the street corner by my new apartment complex -we have rented a studio apartment while we organize our move to PS-they were quite enjoying the air conditioning of the library. While I can't blame them, it was around 115 degrees while I was there, it caused me to wonder about how Palm Springs is dealing with what seems to be an obvious problem.

At the library I mistakenly and unthinkingly made eye contact with one very wired young woman, and then as I sat at the desk on my laptop, her friend, obviously homeless also, walked by me, looked me right in the eye and said 'how are you doing?'.

So what is my problem? Fear. I was incredibly uncomfortable as I looked around and noticed that everyone else knew not to make eye contact with these folks. I come from Vermont and I appreciate friendliness but I did not just fall off a turnip truck and these folks look like they are dangerous addicts constantly in search for their next gig (stealing), so they can buy more drugs. While I am a very friendly person I am not naive.

I looked around for notices of shelters or of a food pantry and saw nothing indicating that there are any support services.

I am curious, is there a plan for this obvious issue in Palm Springs?

I also am slowly realizing that there is a gang issue, but to my mind, I can only absorb so much information on what is effecting the quality of life for most Palm Springs residents to a certain extent. I also have my hands full just looking for a place to live; somehow, my partner and I now have three dogs! And we are renters! Imagine that. I have been working as a volunteer in a dog rescue shelter and it is a miracle I don't have more dogs.

So, basically I guess I am asking about the compassionate side of Palm Springs here, because as I see it, coming from Vermont, it is a terrible social lesson in what happens when you do not help stabilize people who fall upon terrible situations and then, plummet down between the cracks. For all of the high California taxes where are your homeless shelters, halfway houses and reintegration programs? Is this what society looks like when as a society of individualists, we only look after number one, while trying to ignore the chaff around oneself? Then when our lifestyle is so extremely ramshackle from the lack of addressing our problems we try and sell our homes so we can move elsewhere?
I do notice that most of the folks who post about moving from Palm Springs, chose to move to more notable progressive areas of the country. IE: Portland and Seattle.

For me the library scene was thought provoking, and yes, worrisome. Sitting in the library, an extremely nice one at that, and seeing all these drug addled homeless people seeking relief from the heat--only to pull up to my complex and find them on my street corner when I returned home. Also, later when I was walking my dog in a nearby park, I noticed a young woman behind the bushes, I actually stopped and stared, wondering what she was doing. It was a cute little park, just off the main intersection of two downtown streets. She was peeing. Well, I thought, it happens, sometimes you just have to go I guess. However, after finishing her business she walked over to a spot in the park I had not noticed, a small group of scraggly people with sleeping bags had set up camp there. I saw loads of police cars, do they not have a place to send these folks so they just make allowances? I mean you can probably banish people so far but at some point you realize you can't make homeless people just evaporate. Is this the sort of social compromise that goes on here?

I hope I am only experiencing a twinge of disgust from a mood swing or hormonal waves of some sort, that really there is a kinder, gentler Palm Springs that will emerge for me. I plan on living there for ten years! My partner has the job of her life, and we are embracing as much of the cultural and artistic side of Palm Springs as we can. There is so much art! When I first stumbled upon the huge full color statute of Marilyn Monroe I thought to myself, wow, what kind of a community erects such a statue? This is crazy! As in a crazy kind of wonderful, I mean obviously this is a town with flair!

And I also love the way people at the Ruth Hardy Park were so quick to speak with me about so many different aspects of living in Palm Springs while we walked our dogs. Maybe this sounds silly but I think some of Palm Springs finest people can be found in the wee morning hours at the park walking their delightfully mixed mutts and pure bred dogs together. In fact, the dog walking crew gave me hope that I would indeed find a niche for myself in this most interesting town.

Also note, everyone I met at the park expressed loving their lifestyle in Palm Springs. I am now fifty years old and i have lived internationally for much of my adult life. There is no nirvana, all places have their issues, but I must say, from what I am seeing from my nine days per month in Palm Springs, there had better be a plan to deal with these issues. To let such a situation fester, hoping it sorts itself out-oh dear.
You were scared by somebody asking how you were doing?

Old 08-07-2017, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 621 times
I don't live in Palm Desert but visit family there.

What's up with the discrimination in town? I really find it appalling and more needs to be spoken of it I believe.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:38 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDesi View Post

What's up with the discrimination in town? I really find it appalling and more needs to be spoken of it I believe.
General backlash to the progressive agenda. If you find it appalling and in need of vocalization, you may be contributing to the issue.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:40 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDesi View Post

Lol, what's up with the discrimination in Hindu culture?

Old 08-07-2017, 05:23 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allieoops View Post
Can anyone tell me what Palm Desert is like, in way of making friends, weather, shopping, cultural. We are in our 50's and my husband is a physician. We are moving from Fl because we do not like the humidity, nothing to do if you don't fish, love the beach, or play golf. I know Palm Desert is a big golfing community. Fla does have wonderful gated communities in which it can be easy to make friends if you choose the correct fit of a community. How hot does Palm Desert get and how close is the nearest airport. What are the pro's and con's ?
Thank-you to everyone for a gracious reply !!
Move to Palm Springs and be prepared to be in a furnace when summer comes.

EDIT - just realized this is an old thread. What's the update on OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California