Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 11:50 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times

Advertisements

The victims.

Seal Beach shooting victims: List of victims slain in the Seal Beach attack - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-seal-beach-shooting-victims,0,1936697.htmlstory?track=lat-pick - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 01:56 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not everyone was getting a shampoo. It might not stop the first shooting, but it should limit how many get shot. It's wrong to have the innocent law abiding types kept defenseless and criminals can just come and shoot as many people as they please.
You aren't getting it. Nobody is ready to take out a shooter while they are working with their hands in a salon or having their hair done. I know some people like to fantasize about being the hero and taking out the bad guy but when something like this happens but it's highly unlikely. Even if the was someone did have a gun it would probably have been in a handbag or drawer and you can't get to that when you are ducking for cover and running from the scene.

Only under the best of circumstances, when there is some time to react, can the "hero scenario" play out. Maybe someone from next door could have shot him as he ran outside but most people wouldn't risk it because they might not know if he was the shooter or someone running from the shooter since they weren't there. And if they missed then there might have been a shootout...you get the point.

I'm not anti gun, I'm anti fantasy. There was no other way this could have played out, and it's a damn shame you can't stop crazy.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:12 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You aren't getting it. Nobody is ready to take out a shooter while they are working with their hands in a salon or having their hair done. I know some people like to fantasize about being the hero and taking out the bad guy but when something like this happens but it's highly unlikely. Even if the was someone did have a gun it would probably have been in a handbag or drawer and you can't get to that when you are ducking for cover and running from the scene.

Only under the best of circumstances, when there is some time to react, can the "hero scenario" play out. Maybe someone from next door could have shot him as he ran outside but most people wouldn't risk it because they might not know if he was the shooter or someone running from the shooter since they weren't there. And if they missed then there might have been a shootout...you get the point.

I'm not anti gun, I'm anti fantasy. There was no other way this could have played out, and it's a damn shame you can't stop crazy.
You would be surprised what people can do when their life is threatened.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:55 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You would be surprised what people can do when their life is threatened.
And you know all about this because? ... Because of all the life-threatening attack situations you have been in?

Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

Maybe if I saw him loading his car with guns and ammo ... wearing a BP jacket ... I could have anticipated a mass killing was going to take place ... and I could have shot him before he left the neighborhood ...

Old 10-17-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Maybe if I saw him loading his car with guns and ammo ... wearing a BP jacket ... I could have anticipated a mass killing was going to take place ... and I could have shot him before he left the neighborhood ...
Or, if you saw such a scene, you could call authorities to head him off at the pass? ... thus avoiding any possible misinterpretation, such as "he" being a member of law enforcement himself (undercover perhaps), or a drama teacher or stunt-man on way to a production.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Or, if you saw such a scene, you could call authorities to head him off at the pass? ... thus avoiding any possible misinterpretation, such as "he" being a member of law enforcement himself (undercover perhaps), or a drama teacher or stunt-man on way to a production.
I could have made that searing eye contact where I would know exactly what he was up to ... and with no time to call the police ... knowing the HB police are a little slow ... I would have had no choice ...

Old 10-17-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I could have made that searing eye contact where I would know exactly what he was up to ... and with no time to call the police ... knowing the HB police are a little slow ... I would have had no choice ...
Fire at will then ... and live with the consequences, good -- or bad.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Fire at will then ... and live with the consequences, good -- or bad.
It's too late

Old 10-17-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
It's too late
Well sir, if you go around armed looking for opportunity to be Dudley Do Right, you'll have a good chance at seeing something you can shoot at through creative assumption and justification. Courage of convictions will lead to a bloodbath at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California