Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:20 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times

Advertisements

Took a road trip to one of the many less traveled areas in California. I've been wanting to visit this place for some time. The falls are thought of as one of the most beautiful in the state and I could see why. Its an incredible place to visit if you ever venture up to the northern part of the state.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 12:15 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Thanks for that! It's one of the places in CA, I've always wanted to visit. Seen just about everything else, except for that corner of the state.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:40 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,981 times
Man, stop disseminating all this info... Do you really want the place to become more crowded? Many CA parks are overcrowded already, just look at Yosemite, in summer it's like the middle of Manhattan.. people come for the nature and drive the RE prices even higher. I just been to some amazing places in the North Cal mountains.. and I ain't no telling where they are.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:21 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
Burney Falls is a 'full service' park with actual bath rooms with showers, and a convenience store at the entrance. Plus the town of Burney isn't too far away if you really need to stock up on food. Also there is Lake Britton for swimming with an artificial beach. Outside of the park you can make day excursions to the Lava Tubes, Mount Lassen, and the Modoc Lava beds.

And yes, the falls are beautiful. That visible triangular rock formation at the base of the falls has been there and unchanged for at least 45 years.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:02 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
We have plans to get up to the Burney Falls and Lassen Volcanic National Forest next year.

From what I understand, the area doesn't draw many tourist.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
I recommend not camping at Burney State Park or at the developed campgrounds at Lassen due to crowding and noise.
I recommend camping at Butte Creek National Forest Campground it is at the north east corner of the park north of Butte Lake, it is quiet and peaceful

Tell the kids Bigfoot stories then take them through the lava tubes....

Old 10-13-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I recommend not camping at Burney State Park or at the developed campgrounds at Lassen due to crowding and noise.
I recommend camping at Butte Creek National Forest Campground it is at the north east corner of the park north of Butte Lake, it is quiet and peaceful

Tell the kids Bigfoot stories then take them through the lava tubes....
Thanks for the tips on other campgrounds. I was checking out some surrounding campgrounds if it was too full. This time of the year its not too crowded there. But I can imagine in the Summer months when temps are warmer it gets a lot more packed. I would actually like to go back in Winter and shoot the falls with snow on the ground. I saw an amazing photograph of it covered in fresh snow at the rangers station. The roads up there are pretty easy driving compared to other roads I've driven to go snowboarding, etc...

Derek

Old 10-13-2011, 01:23 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
We were camped at Butte Creek Campground, my son who was 15 at the time went up the creek fishing. Getting close to dark he was not back yet, I grabbed a couple of headlamps and jogged up the trail. after a mile or two I could hear him hollering, as I came into view he yelled at me, "Dad I have never been so glad to see you in my life! There is a lion behind me!"

Turns out, earlier he had heard sticks cracking, he went back along his back trail and saw lion paw prints on his show prints. So he was returning to camp, shouting, running back up the trail, doing everything he could to let the lion know he knew the lion was there.

Pretty cool eh?

We returned to camp, shining our lights in the trees and singing bad rock and roll songs.

"It ain't an adventure if you know you are going to live through it!"

Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
We were camped at Butte Creek Campground, my son who was 15 at the time went up the creek fishing. Getting close to dark he was not back yet, I grabbed a couple of headlamps and jogged up the trail. after a mile or two I could hear him hollering, as I came into view he yelled at me, "Dad I have never been so glad to see you in my life! There is a lion behind me!"

Turns out, earlier he had heard sticks cracking, he went back along his back trail and saw lion paw prints on his show prints. So he was returning to camp, shouting, running back up the trail, doing everything he could to let the lion know he knew the lion was there.

Pretty cool eh?

We returned to camp, shining our lights in the trees and singing bad rock and roll songs.

"It ain't an adventure if you know you are going to live through it!"
That's pretty scary when you realize you are being stalked, especially by a lion!

Usually I think about that most when I'm out shooting in the dark. One time while shooting in Yosemite alone in the middle of the night I saw something big moving around. I happended to be shooting from a bridge with tripod and all my gear. As I turned my headlamp to investigate I saw a very large bear on the other end of the bridge checking me out as it moved closer! So I just raised my hands and spoke very loudly at him. Fortunately he turned slowly and moved on.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-13-2011 at 07:06 PM..

Old 10-13-2011, 07:25 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
I love the Burney Falls campground. Yes, there is some noise as with all campgrounds. But the camping areas are very large and it's just such a nice area. But you have to book way in advance for summer months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California