Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 06:28 PM

50,057 posts, read 46,562,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
The owners want it.......and most likely they will get it.

Myself personally, I do not give a rats *ss about footbaskbaseretardoball, they can all pack up and leave for all I care.

But the drums are getting beaten with increasing frequency and intensity......the politicians want to create a frenzy among sportstards......so that no matter what...........the overpriced stadiums get built.
They get built but sometimes the teams move. No way a new one gets built in SD unless some private money comes out of nowhere. It's 2/3 vote for taxes and fees so Spanos is hosed unless he gets that cobweb covered check book out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 08:47 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,785,093 times
SD citizens will never vote for a new stadium if their tax dollars will be used to pay for it, and i agree with them

Old 10-16-2011, 10:03 PM

22,565 posts, read 24,357,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They get built but sometimes the teams move. No way a new one gets built in SD unless some private money comes out of nowhere. It's 2/3 vote for taxes and fees so Spanos is hosed unless he gets that cobweb covered check book out.

I do not agree, they are going to pull out all the stops, even some shady ones...........to have another overpriced burden put in place.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by despisecaliforniapolitics View Post
because the owners grow tired of it and they threaten to move the team if a new one is not built, and if it is not built then don't complain if it leaves
The only thing wrong with the recently retrofitted Murph is that mgt had their head in the seats when it started to rain. If they had prepared for a rain it wouldn't have flooded. Like a new one won't

Old 10-17-2011, 11:35 AM

474 posts, read 901,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
was the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium built with taxpayer money, public funding?
The Cowboys stadium was built with a mix of public funding and private (Jerry Jones). $325M from the city of Arlington, and the rest ($875M from the Dallas Cowboys).

Old 10-17-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I do not agree, they are going to pull out all the stops, even some shady ones...........to have another overpriced burden put in place.
When times were good they managed to fly some real shady deals. That was before Shamus and other watch dog groups started up. Ain't gonna happen.

The latest end run of stealing redevelopment money has been thwarted. Let's pay our current bills first.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:06 PM

21,603 posts, read 24,746,556 times
Well, look at the shady in Sacramento. My understanding is that it only requires a tax payer vote if general funds are going to be used to repay the bonds the $300 million or so the Maloofs demand or they'll move their team of... well, I don't even know what they are now since they don't play basketball these days. So they're looking at all sorts of options. Hotel taxes, car rentals, parking lots, selling city buildings. Meanwhile, public safety is dependent on federal dollars to continue operating, the school system sucks, the parks are being closed, and the corrupt building department is getting its rear-end sued for illegally issuing building permits for kick backs. Anyone who questions the sense of the arena in this climate is "short sighted" and "We really shouldn't leave those decisions in the hands of people because the city leadership is smarter and does such a great job."

Old 10-17-2011, 07:47 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,125,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
This thread actually is a great example of why it is so difficult to get pro stadiums and arenas built in California.

Folks here aren't that supportive of these facilities, and can vote down any tax proposals.

This thread is actually pretty representative of the overall attitude out in California. You wouldn't see the same type of attitudes in places like Pennsylvania or Ohio.
I hear ya, Chicago is the same way.

California is more similar to Mexico in this regard. Too poor to afford top notch entertianment venues, with much of the ho-hum populace concerned about the personal bank statements of players and owners.

The funniest part is when Californians get upset when people back east point out that they are not real sports fans.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 PM

22,565 posts, read 24,357,783 times
[quote=NorCal Dude;21325982]I hear ya, Chicago is the same way.

California is more similar to Mexico in this regard. Too poor to afford top notch entertianment venues, with much of the ho-hum populace concerned about the personal bank statements of players and owners.

The funniest part is when Californians get upset when people back east point out that they are not real sports fans.[/quote]

Hahaha, you jest??? I do not give a rats a** about Footballtard or any other overpriced entertainment. People back east..........huh, could not care less what THEM PEOPLE think.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:19 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,392,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by despisecaliforniapolitics View Post
Why is California the toughest, hardest, most difficult state to build a Stadium, Sports Venue or Arena, why? how come?
We don't need them.

[the complexity of the environmental review process of the construction and operating impacts of a sports venue is another reason]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California