Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:59 AM

12 posts, read 114,056 times

Advertisements

probably moved to my area in East Tn?? I have met several who have. I have thought more about the northern ca/oregon border, but jobs are probably hard to find..I am guessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 09:16 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
In thinking about your initial request, and the type of atmosphere you are seeking, I think the Chico and Arcata areas of California may work out best. Chico has a very nice downtown and park area, and a decent sized college. Arcata has a nice bohemian small downtown, plus you are within 10-12 minutes of downtown Eureka, and has a decent college nearby too.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:12 PM

28 posts, read 117,369 times
Default santa barbara county

Try Lompoc which is in Santa Barbara county.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 AM

26 posts, read 193,976 times
Bakersfield is a pit and has some of the worst air quality in the state. Plus it gets into triple digits in the summer. It's a white trash destination, if you don't mind me saying.
Can you tell me more about McKinleyville? Hospital? Population? Does it snow, or at least have 4 seasons? What is the best part about it for you? I am in San Diego, and hate the prices but more than that the unchanging, ugly weather. No seasons, and after a lifetime of living in the "paradise" of So Cal, I'd like to see some leaves in the fall and snow in the winter! Some rain!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:12 AM

26 posts, read 193,976 times
I'd love to know more about McKinleyville. And can someone tell me how to start a thread? I'm very new.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:17 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Mckinleyville and surrounding areas have 2 seasons. The rainy season and the foggy season.

Apologies to my North Coast pals

Old 09-26-2007, 03:26 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwatersunwind View Post
I'd love to know more about McKinleyville. And can someone tell me how to start a thread? I'm very new.
its pretty easy. just get to the list of threads in the los angeles sub-category. if you see where it tells you how many pages and what page you're on, then look directly to your left. you will see "New Thread". then, you must enter a title. type in what you would like to know. then, right below the text box, it says "Submit New Thread".

Old 09-26-2007, 03:44 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwatersunwind View Post
Can you tell me more about McKinleyville? Hospital? Population? Does it snow, or at least have 4 seasons? What is the best part about it for you? I am in San Diego, and hate the prices but more than that the unchanging, ugly weather. No seasons, and after a lifetime of living in the "paradise" of So Cal, I'd like to see some leaves in the fall and snow in the winter! Some rain!
anywhere on the pacific coast is not going to snow in CA. its part of the Eureka, CA metropolitan area, which has 40,000 residents. coming from SD, you won't like it there. the average high temp in july is 57 and in august it's 58. that's way too f****** cold for me in the summer. december only goes down to 49 for the high. the average year round high is 58 and the average low is 47. it gets 38 inches of rain per year.

mckinleyville has 13,500 people. McKinleyville's climate is characterized by mild, rainy winters and cool, dry summers, with an average temperature of 55 degrees

Old 09-26-2007, 07:57 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Dmencha does not know what they are taliking about. We have had a beautiful summer with temperatures in the 70's and 80s, very little fog. Our rainy season is from late November to March and it is not raining all the time either. There is a hospital five miles from here in Arcata ( the Mad River Community Hospital ) and 2 hospitals in Eureka and one in Fortuna. We got some snow flakes last winter and the winter before, but it is not common. There is Humboldt State University in Arcata and College of the Redwoods in Eureka. There is an airport here in McKinleyville with flights to L.A. , S.F. and Portland to name a few. This year we got 47 inch's of rain for McK and that was just shy of normal. Last year we got over 75 but that is not usual. All the locals that have lived here for over 40 years say that the weather used to be foggy all the time, but that has changed with global warming. The rains mean clean safe drinking water and green hills and pastures for our rural atmosphere. It is really beautiful up here and the home prices are in the upper $200,000 for a new 3 bed 2 bath home. Jobs are scarce for mainly the locals that were used to depending on lumber and fishing for their living. These people were not prepared for going out into the workforce and are thus under qualified for many high end jobs here. The local newspapers have plenty of jobs in the help wanted section. This is a great area to raise a brood of children with great schools especially in Arcata and McKinleyville.

I have been here in the county since 1992 after I lost all of my gardens in the Oakland/Berkeley hills fire. I have been in McK since 2000 when the median home price was $125,000 and under.

Pm or e-mail me if you need more information.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:15 AM

652 posts, read 2,804,161 times
I know what the best small town in CA is. I don't want to say, however, since if too many people move up there it will no longer be the best small town. Sorry...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California