Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:05 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomma416 View Post
Look north. Fallbrook (as mentioned by someone else) is the skinhead capital of CA.
Do you have any proof?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 01:34 PM

44 posts, read 154,933 times
I dont know much about it but I hear Susanville is a pretty small area, last I rread it was something like 4,000 people. That could have changed though, in the past couple of years. And Reno is just a hop skip and jump away.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:04 PM

42,867 posts, read 26,366,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma barker View Post
I dont know much about it but I hear Susanville is a pretty small area, last I rread it was something like 4,000 people. That could have changed though, in the past couple of years. And Reno is just a hop skip and jump away.
There are almost 18,000 people in Susanville, basically the only thing it has going for it is a state prison. If I were looking for 5 acres and thinking about going as far as Susanville I would just keep driving another hour and look in Northern Nevada.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 11,002 times
You can also get info at [URL="http://www.bvptrinity.com"]www.bvptrinity.com[/URL] on property for sale and area info on weaverville and hayfork. located in Trinity county. We love trinity!

Old 06-30-2009, 05:25 PM

433 posts, read 1,620,822 times
I second the Weaverville area. Lots of nice property in the mountains and you are right by the Trinity River, which is my favorite river.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:50 PM

363 posts, read 1,121,834 times
Default Susanville

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There are almost 18,000 people in Susanville, basically the only thing it has going for it is a state prison. If I were looking for 5 acres and thinking about going as far as Susanville I would just keep driving another hour and look in Northern Nevada.
I have family living in the Susanville area. Its about 2 hours east of my home on Highway 36. I kind of like the area myself. Some people don't though. Its right on the edge between the east sierra/cascades pine forest and and the Great Basin Desert.

Be advised the 17K population includes the inmates incarcerated at the two prisons that were annexed (added to the City limits) to make them politically "pallatable". It turns out that at least some California state tax appropriations are based on population. So, the City of Susanville gets credit for all those who sleep within its boundaries; locked up or not.

Susanville is somewhat isolated-about 85 miles north of Reno, about 120 or so east of Redding. Because of the two prisons, there is a disproportionate ratio of correctional officers. Might be some social consequences associated with that. Also, the winters can be brutal-by California standards anyway.

As a side note, demographers have to be careful with California prison communities, lest they assume a population that'll support certain commercial businesses. Turns out inmates don't shop at "The Home Depot"...

You gotta feel like a fish swimming upstream with the exodus from this state though. Good luck with your search.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:13 AM

607 posts, read 2,371,230 times
Did I say Calaveras County yet? Check out the small towns of Murphys, Angels Camp and Arnold. The other nice town would be in Amador County and it's called Sutter Creek.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:58 AM

52 posts, read 218,790 times
I grew up in clear lake. Nice country towns around the lake. The biggest which is still small is Lakeport - want smaller go with Lower lake. They are diffinately cheap and country and community.

Want a bit bigger try Ukiah. I was born there and it hasnt changed much since the 50's.
You will love the small town appeal. People walk around downtown chatting. Very quaint and near wineries. Jobs are hard to find there but low cost homes for sure. Check it out you will be surprized.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:26 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,317,085 times
Check into Paradise. I have never been there, but have been told by several people that it's lovely.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomma416 View Post
Look north. Fallbrook (as mentioned by someone else) is the skinhead capital of CA.
do you realize this thread is 2 years old? I am always amazed when they get brought back up. What do you think about the OP? Do you think he/she has found a place yet?

NIta

ps: by the way, I happen to think Fallbrook is a pretty cool town, yes some of the northern towns are great as well.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California