Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,188 times

Advertisements

My biggest gripe with living in California is the number of negative, rude, impatient and downright ANGRY people you see on a day to day basis.

You walk around, quietly just observe people and you get the sense that Californians can barely tolerate each other and any stranger is considered an @sshole until proven different and what miserable way to go through life THAT is for all concerned! Most people look like they are wound WAAY too tight and about ready to snap or go ballistic at any moment. This place must have the highest blood pressure stats in the nation!

I try to have a good attitude and give this place the benefit of the doubt, but then I go for a walk up my street and see a car getting honked at and getting the finger because they are trying to turn at an intersection. I walk a little further and see a man and woman having a conversation outside their cars on the shoulder of the road with the door wide open with cars and busses having to maneuver over the center line to get around them while they have this arrogant look on their faces to all the world like" what are YOU gonna do about it?" You accidentally make eye contact with someone around here and nine times out of ten you get a look or response back like "what are YOU lookin' at?"

Maybe it's just me, but I travel often and have lived in many other places and have never witnessed this degree of rude/angry people concentrated in one place. Also, a cursory look around this forum shows I am not alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 04:54 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
This is true. I'm not sure if it's just a CA thing but I know what you are talking about with the "what are you going to do about it" attitude. People have no manners anymore.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:55 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSucksImLeaving View Post

Maybe it's just me
I'm sure it is. Well, buh-bye!

Old 10-29-2011, 05:02 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
A newly married couple arrive in a new town, they talk to the realtor about living there and how the people were. He asked them how the people were in the town they currently live in, they said that "they are negative, rude, impatient, angry people!"

The realtor said, "well, you will find much the same here".

The next day another newly married couple arrive in the same town, they talk to the same realtor about living there and how the people were. He asked them how the people were in the town they currently live in, they said that "they are pleasant neighborly folk, always ready to help another person!"

The realtor said, "well, you will find much the same here".

Old 10-29-2011, 05:03 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSucksImLeaving View Post
My biggest gripe with living in California is the number of negative, rude, impatient and downright ANGRY people you see on a day to day basis.
Maybe it's just me, but I travel often and have lived in many other places and have never witnessed this degree of rude/angry people concentrated in one place. Also, a cursory look around this forum shows I am not alone.
Um, California has the largest population of any state and is longer than most of the eastern seaboard at 770 miles. So it varies quite a bit depending on where you are describing it from. I have traveled the state extensively and can you you that it is definately not like that throughout the state. The Central Coast, where we reside, is quite different.

But are there jerky, rude people in CA? sure. There is a greater concentration in the concrete jungle of the LA/OC/SD metropolis. Even there it can vary quite a bit city to city. The rudest people in general terms I have come across are those in and around the West LA/Hollywood/Beverly Hills region. But even there you can find friendly people if you look. Sometimes you just have to look below the surface more. They can appear initially uptight. But sometimes that's simply the persona of the region which they wear until you get to them. Other times they are jerky.

Where are you at and how long have you been there?

Derek

Old 10-29-2011, 05:07 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Another OP 1st post, huh
Time to break out the fishing gear
(and waders)

Old 10-29-2011, 05:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
One of the best features of this state: All of those outbound lanes to funnel out the people who hate it here. I can't remember how many there are. Highnlite knows that number.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:36 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,551,757 times
What part of the state, dude?

Old 10-29-2011, 05:51 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
One of the best features of this state: All of those outbound lanes to funnel out the people who hate it here. I can't remember how many there are. Highnlite knows that number.
there are 62 paved roads that leave the state, and many more dirt roads. The whiners are cordially invited to pick one.

Heck, may I suggest a small rural town in Nevada, stop your car, walk into the Owl Club (every small Nevada town has one) Introduce your self by saying, " Hi, I am from California!"

You might then learn what rude really means.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:52 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
People everywhere seem to becoming more ignorant, rude, and obnoxious. I doubt this phenomenon is confined to California. However, don't let this stop you from leaving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California