Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever thought about moving out-of-state?
Yes! 46 82.14%
Nope 8 14.29%
Never gave it thought 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:03 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Considered it. Did it. Moved to where we wanted to be. No regrets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 10:05 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,687 times
Yup and I'm moving back. Seattle is a huge disappointment.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:07 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
I did move out of state once I finished college to work in Des Moines, Iowa. It was good for starting my career and also for a "And now for something completely different" moment after spending my whole life in San Francisco up to that point. Quite a radical change and I did my best to enjoy Iowa and learn about living in such a radically different environment. I was only there for 15 months, but I really settled in well during that time and wouldn't mind living there again if the opportunity arose. Des Moines is a great small city.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:11 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
I want to move where the jobs are in my field, that's California. Miami and South Florida in general have been a big disappointment for me and there is little opportunity here for growth.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:26 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Nevada, which is turning into a bedroom community of California.
Only parts of it. But, Nevada has always been an economic colony of CA, and generally follows California political trends

We own land in various parts of Nevada, and would be living there if familial duties had not brought back to the ranch.

Most Californian would have a hard time in the rural areas as services are far and few between.

But with UPS and the Schwan man, life is good.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:41 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Yes, I've thought of leaving.... know it costs a lot to live here, and that I may never own a house until I retire, but I don't mind.
Owning / living in a house is over-rated ...

Old 10-30-2011, 10:51 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Northern Idaho, Don ... Hayden Lake comes to mind particular like ...
(you're welcome ... always happy to help a friend get outta Dodge ... leaving more space for the man in the van)
Too cold and too short of a boating season in Idaho ... but thanks for the recommendation.

BTW ... I thought you weren't in California

Old 10-30-2011, 11:02 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Yes, I've thought of leaving. I even considered trying to transfer to another city, but keep the same employer. I did some research to find where they had offices (all over the U.S.), and then I narrowed it down by weather. I can't stand humidity, so I confined my search to anything west of the Rocky Mountains. Then I decided I don't like cloudy weather, so that left out the Pacific Northwest coast. I also dislike really hot weather, so Arizona and southern Nevada were crossed off the list. That left northern Nevada (but wait, my ex-husband lives in Reno! Never mind!), eastern Washington and Oregon, Idaho, and Utah. Then, I decided to write down the office locations on strips of paper and toss them into a hat, and pick one. What came up? Twin Falls, Idaho! Hmm, maybe...?

That was several years ago now, and I've since decided against moving. Why? My two children are here, my brother is here, my friends are here, I've lived here all of my life, and the weather is wonderful (80s this weekend while the northeast is coping with that bizarre snowstorm!). I know it costs a lot to live here, and that I may never own a house until I retire, but I don't mind.
Most of my family also has plans to leave.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:09 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Too cold and too short of a boating season in Idaho ... but thanks for the recommendation.

BTW ... I thought you weren't in California
Brother, I am all over the place ... except Hayden, ID ... another reason you might enjoy it there I thought ... I home-base camp / sail in Washington, (wander Oregon a bit), wander / and boat California (a lot), and camp/sail Hawaii when my feet and nose get too cold ...

Old 10-30-2011, 11:12 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
I can identify with most people's reasons for wanting to leave California. It's been 31 years since I arrived. Admittedly, I never felt part of the of the local culture; more like apart from the local culture. Things out here are over-hyped, over-inflated, or both. Most people here have sold their souls to materialism, consumerism, appearances, brand names, etc. As a result, I never considered myself a "Californian," that is, until just last year! I'm not sure what exactly happened, but it's akin to one of those religious conversions that some people experience.

I returned to my birthplace for a second vacation last year. While not one of the contiguous 48 states, it is a United States territory. Life over there is a tad bit slower. Many people are humble, down to earth, and have an appreciation for what little (or much) they have. So, there I was, immersed in the culture of my youthful past, with friends, family and new acquaintances. Then came the fourth day of my seven day visit.

I'll never forget the place or time of day. I was with my childhood friends - the closest friends I will ever have until the day I die. It was Saturday afternoon and we were having drinks and talking by the pool at the beachside condo we rented. I could not have felt more stress-free and relaxed. I stood up from my beach recliner, looked all around and appreciated everything and everyone that was there. Yet, for the first time in my life. . .I missed Southern California.

Despite its flaws, hypes, disadvantages, etc., I truly felt a void which only Southern California, and all its craziness, could fill. I missed the variations of people, and the sereneness often found within some ethnic groups. I yearned to hear someone talk in a language I could not understand. I wanted sushi, In-And-Out, and Indian food all in the same day. I wanted to see someone do tai-chi, while another kicked a soccer ball in the same park, and on, and on.

Since that moment, I could not wait to return to this wicked place; the place I now proudly refer to as. . .my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California