Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:54 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,859,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
National test puts California students on bottom - San Jose Mercury News
So much for all that tax revenue yielding results...

"In reading, California performed worse than all other states and only outscored Washington, D.C"
^ Wonder why that is ... Can't read.. you are pretty much doomed to be able to learn.
I repeat: ? ... [doomed] to be able to learn ... ?

Quote:
Internet slang
That's not slang ... that's nonsense ... carry on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 07:00 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,495,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post

Back on topic ..

Old 11-01-2011, 07:31 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,377,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
There are plenty of bad districts up here in Nor Cal.

On that note, we can now proudly state we've been bested by the likes of Delaware (the worst of the East Coast school wise, due mostly to a demographic quirk - namely the overarching influence of Wilmington's hood on the state stats of that small state).
Nah! It ain't Wilmington. It's Biden!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:23 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,481,933 times
Bilingual education (any language) and a lack of parental emphasis on education are making themselves known. I know a Mexican-American couple in Merced (neighbors from across the street when I lived there). They speak only English at home and were very upset with their son's neighborhood elementary school. The teacher spent the bulk her time with the limited English speaking students and instruction in Spanish to the detriment of the native English speaking students. They eventually got their son transfered to a school that was overwhelmingly English speaking just to avoid the Bilingual millstone that is around the necks of teachers and administrators in some schools. Basically, the class is at the mercy of the slowest student in such situations. English immersion has worked for generations of students and successive waves of immigration. The mess you see now is partly from tampering with that.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Bilingual education (any language) and a lack of parental emphasis on education are making themselves known. I know a Mexican-American couple in Merced (neighbors from across the street when I lived there). They speak only English at home and were very upset with their son's neighborhood elementary school. The teacher spent the bulk her time with the limited English speaking students and instruction in Spanish to the detriment of the native English speaking students. They eventually got their son transfered to a school that was overwhelmingly English speaking just to avoid the Bilingual millstone that is around the necks of teachers and administrators in some schools. Basically, the class is at the mercy of the slowest student in such situations. English immersion has worked for generations of students and successive waves of immigration. The mess you see now is partly from tampering with that.
English should have been declared the official language long ago in this country and proficiency tests given to anyone wanting to immigrate here.. 2nd languages are cool but should not serve as a barrier for employment (as everyone should speak English) ... one of the big costs to education is this idiocy of teaching in multiple languages..

Learn d*m english and focus on the material that needs to be taught .. not on what language to teach it in.. and yes, 'regular' classes cater to the least common denominator which is why you want to get your kid the hell out of them whenever you can into honors/gifted courses.

California gives a great big open invitation to those of the quality that are deteriorating its education schools.. A problem born on itself and liberal mindset. 40% of costs go to education... dam laughable when you place near the bottom on achievements.. Love to pull out this gem when highlighting the idiocy of taxation in California :

RFK is LAUSD's most costly campus – and it needs more cash - LA Daily News
Worst scores around the nation.. Most expensive school in the nation.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:56 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,799,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post

Yeah. I'm failing to understand how posting animated gifs and demotivators turns a grammatical snafu into "netspeak..."

Old 11-01-2011, 09:02 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,522,681 times
Quote:
English should have been declared the official language long ago in this country
Unaware of something called the Tenth Amendment?
The federal government does not have the power to declare an official language. Only states can. And this isn't an issue that the Founding Fathers didn't think of ; PA and NJ had large numbers of German speakers in the early days of the US, and many of the founding generation still had not given up the belief that Quebec could eventually be brought into the US fold.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:26 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,859,442 times
Multilingualism has been proven a great advantage in children so raised.
There have been a very great many studies, virtually all of which now point to distinct cognitive and intellectual advantages.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:28 PM

123 posts, read 404,718 times
It's a shame California doesn't require testing of the homeschooled students.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah. I'm failing to understand how posting animated gifs and demotivators turns a grammatical snafu into "netspeak..."
Because grammatical snafus are a part of netspeak as one isn't trying to write perfectly ... spelling errors/gramatical snafus.. lack of punctuation... etc
I'd be happy to give you a tutorial if you'd like.. and why correct all my mistakes when there are trolls awaiting my every post to auto-correct for me?
Back on topic.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 11-01-2011 at 11:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California