Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:11 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

There is no real national test. We dont know who was sampled, where they did the sampling, the socio-economic background of participants. Oddly but perhaps maybe deliberately it seems they only distinguished students by RACE which reaks of a conservative slant.

This notion that Californians do worst is absurd considering standardized scores we do know such as SATs and California is nowhere near the bottom there. And as far as drop out rates, many states are worse than CA.

So I dont know who is truly behind this? NeoCons who want to gut spending, or Liberals who want to increase it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 12:53 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,043 times
mission accomplished, prop 13

Old 11-02-2011, 01:11 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Bilingual education (any language) and a lack of parental emphasis on education are making themselves known. I know a Mexican-American couple in Merced (neighbors from across the street when I lived there). They speak only English at home and were very upset with their son's neighborhood elementary school. The teacher spent the bulk her time with the limited English speaking students and instruction in Spanish to the detriment of the native English speaking students. They eventually got their son transfered to a school that was overwhelmingly English speaking just to avoid the Bilingual millstone that is around the necks of teachers and administrators in some schools. Basically, the class is at the mercy of the slowest student in such situations. English immersion has worked for generations of students and successive waves of immigration. The mess you see now is partly from tampering with that.
The Teachers that I know as friends and the ones at our kid's schools are doing back flips now that they've stopped busing in the kids from S of the 8. The situation you described above was such an albatross for the entire class. I do feel sorry for the Teachers in the local schools that had to absorb the ESL kids. For now though it's no longer our problem.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:13 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
mission accomplished, prop 13
Mission accomplished.. allowing the illegal flooding of non-educated individuals across the border. No money in the world can fix stupid, but I am sure there are a bunch of stupid people who think it can... and well, that's just known as California.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=7626054
OS ANGELES (KABC) -- With a price tag of $578 million, the new Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools complex opening in Los Angeles has the distinction of being the most expensive school facility in the U.S.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The Teachers that I know as friends and the ones at our kid's schools are doing back flips now that they've stopped busing in the kids from S of the 8. The situation you described above was such an albatross for the entire class. I do feel sorry for the Teachers in the local schools that had to absorb the ESL kids. For now though it's no longer our problem.
One of the reasons my parents tore the principal of the public schools a new one until they put me in honors/gifted classes. Regular classes tend to be like day-care in most public schools.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:35 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Mission accomplished.. allowing the illegal flooding of non-educated individuals across the border. No money in the world can fix stupid, but I am sure there are a bunch of stupid people who think it can... and well, that's just known as California.

L.A. to open most expensive school in U.S. | abc7.com
OS ANGELES (KABC) -- With a price tag of $578 million, the new Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools complex opening in Los Angeles has the distinction of being the most expensive school facility in the U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
One of the reasons my parents tore the principal of the public schools a new one until they put me in honors/gifted classes. Regular classes tend to be like day-care in most public schools.
Well, anyone reading your posts would have to wonder why they put you in honors/gifted classes and skipped the good manners and citizenship classes.

You speak often of the lessons your father taught you ... but didn't he also teach you how to be fair and balanced and respectful? He sounds like a good man. How did you miss the lessons of graciousness? You remind of a person who, upon being invited to a neighbor's dinner party, shows up to eat the food and all the while shoot off rude remark after rude remark about the host's house -- how he/she must have paid too much instead of investing in ------- (insert your stock buy of the week here), and what fools they are for having bought in the neighborhood they are in (even though you also live there - but of course only temporarily until you can get back to Florida) ... I can envision you calling the hosts and other neighbors "idiots" for having their kids in the local schools ... for paying taxes instead of finding sheltered ways to screw the state out of revenue .....

This is what you do here, post after post after post ... inform everyone that, in your vast experience of 28 years -- four or so years out of college -- that California sucks and everyone here is an idiot even bigger than the idiocy of the United States of America, yadda yadda yadda ...

Never seems to occur to you where you are from or how to respect those around you. How come you didn't learn any of that in your honors / gifted classes?

Last edited by nullgeo; 11-02-2011 at 02:17 PM..

Old 11-02-2011, 02:09 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Schools, for the most part, don't fail. Parents and kids fail.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Well, anyone reading your posts would have to wonder why they put you in honors/gifted classes and skipped the good manners and citizenship classes.
I took the 'success' 'brain' courses .. in them, i was taught you can derive manners/citizenship as it pertains to the 'situation' for which you are in ..
That being said, I find speaking raw/truthfully is about as respectful and caring as you can get.

Quote:
You speak often of the lessons your father taught you ... but didn't he also teach you how to be fair and balanced and respectful?
He taught me to be fair .. which I am .. fair to the truth/reality of the world.
Balanced .. balanced to the scales of the world ...
Respectful only in-so-much as someone is respectful to you....

Hard to respect someone who doesn't respect themselves.
Hard to be fair to someone who isn't fair to the reality of of the world.
Hard to be personally 'balanced' when the 'balance' of the world is tilted.

Quote:
He sounds like a good man. How did you miss the lessons of graciousness?
You seem to miss the lessons about being to soft.. Spare the rod, spoil the child... My dad told me to be clear and don't filter my observations about the world.. It restricts the flow and transfer of knowledge.

Quote:
You remind of a person who, upon being invited to a neighbor's dinner party, show up to eat the food and all the while shoot off rude remark after rude remark about the host's house --
LOL, i carry myself quite well at the dinner table.. and besides appropriate outlets could give two sh*ts about the topics currently being discussed. I cut this out years ago as I found people generally do wtf they want even knowing of consequences/risk.. Thus where i decided to bet on their mistakes in markets and enrich my life instead.

Quote:
how he/she must have paid too much instead of investing in ------- (insert your stock buy of the week here), and what fools they are for having bought in the neighborhood they are in (even though you also live there - but of course only temporarily until you can get back to Florida) ...
LOL .. ? you have a beautiful creative mind.. Most people don't even know i trade.. i like to keep it that way since everyone seems to be on witch hunts these days.

Quote:
I can envision you calling the hosts and other neighbors "idiots" for having their kids in the local schools ... for paying taxes instead of finding sheltered ways to screw the state out of revenue .....

This is what you do here, post after post after post ... inform everyone that, in your vast experience of 28 years -- four or so years out of college -- that California sucks and everyone here is an idiot even bigger than the idiocy of the United States of America, yadda yadda yadda ...

Never seems to occur to you where you are from or how to respect those around you. How come you didn't learn any of that in your honors / gifted classes?
Well dang i mean.. LOL. If it were true i'd feel super small and but hurt right now.. it isn't so I just think your creative response is entertaining.
Love you too ! :-*

Old 11-02-2011, 02:49 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,999 times
You need help

Old 11-02-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
You need help
The world needs help .. I'm sadly not one of those people who cares to give it anymore .. As you were.. As I have told you, i am perfectly happy w/ my life and the world .. as screwed up as I might mention it is .. i actually enjoy/like it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California