Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 04:00 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
The world needs help .. I'm sadly not one of those people who cares to give it anymore .. As you were.. As I have told you, i am perfectly happy w/ my life and the world .. as screwed up as I might mention it is .. i actually enjoy/like it..
25 and all burned out already? Fortitude, young man ... buck up ... I realize that a couple of years of blathering nonsense on an internet forum has taken its toll on you ... it has been a great sacrifice of time ... blood, sweat, tears, anguish for no return, no respect ... the world is simply not listening after all your service ... pity ... to use your word: we are "doomed" ... we could have had it all if we'd only listened to the wise counsel of ytg. We could have all been the 1% ... hey, the math works!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 04:03 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
25 and all burned out already? Fortitude, young man ... buck up ... I realize that a couple of years of blathering nonsense on an internet forum has taken its toll on you ... it has been a great sacrifice of time ... blood, sweat, tears, anguish for no return, no respect ... the world is simply not listening after all your service ... pity ... to use your word: we are "doomed" ... we could have had it all if we'd only listened to the wise counsel of ytg.
All of these colorful words ... soo pretty
I love you null .. at the end of the day, know that. lol
As for your commentary about posting on public forums.. it applies to you too.
Funny in that you probably think it doesn't.

Total Mkt Chg ($|%): +1,410.98 (today)
^ that's the payment for all this sacrifice in understanding the world and how many people in it think .. Don't worry about me, i'm well compensated for my macro research

Peace be w/ you brother <3

Old 11-02-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
All of these colorful words ... soo pretty
I love you null .. at the end of the day, know that. lol
As for your commentary about posting on public forums.. it applies to you too.
Funny in that you probably think it doesn't.

Peace be w/ you brother <3
Well, my comment about posting on forums is: you have expressed many times how you have tried and tried to help and serve others ... and now (after a couple of years) you are burned out ... as far as I can tell, what you mean by all this sacrifice is posting on this forum to reveal truth and reality to the dozens here. You haven't been in the military. You aren't married. No kids. Not caring for your folks. Never mention any community service organizations or past activities. What? So this must be it. A forum to show the world the nature of reality.

You know some of my background ... and I'm still at it nearly everyday. For me to horse around on a forum after all isn't anything more than a humorous distraction, in spurts, from my ongoing work with family and veterans and disabled communities.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:56 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
mission accomplished, prop 13
I respectfully could not disagree more...

Prop 13 is a by-product of the Serrano v. Priest Decision which forever changed school funding in California.

Serrano v. Priest and not Prop 13 is the root of what ails California Public Schools. My father taught at a Public High and was lifetime credentialed... he was very unhappy with Serrano v. Priest because it gave the State power over much of what had been previously left to the local districts allocate.

Previous to Serrano v. Priest local property taxes went directly to the local school system.

It is much easier to support taxes when the money is spent locally and quite another when it all goes into the general fund for education in a State as large as California.

Even today... there are top performing public school districts as well as individual schools in districts that are poorly rated... Oakland would be an example having both ends of the spectrum.

Prop 13 is the one last stabilizing force property tax payers have...

Prop 13 also provides for additional assessments with voter approval... I live in Oakland and the Statewide 1% tax rate is less than half the 2% I pay on my home which is assessed at current market value...

I was too young to have voted for Proposition 13 at the time of it's enactment... I am forever thankful that those that came before me had the foresight to do so...

Old 11-02-2011, 05:04 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
One of the reasons my parents tore the principal of the public schools a new one until they put me in honors/gifted classes.
What does that mean?

Quote:
Regular classes tend to be like day-care in most public schools.
By definiton, public schools are public. Like churches, they serve anyone who comes. Sorry you think that you're above that.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Bilingual education (any language) and a lack of parental emphasis on education are making themselves known. I know a Mexican-American couple in Merced (neighbors from across the street when I lived there). They speak only English at home and were very upset with their son's neighborhood elementary school. The teacher spent the bulk her time with the limited English speaking students and instruction in Spanish to the detriment of the native English speaking students. They eventually got their son transfered to a school that was overwhelmingly English speaking just to avoid the Bilingual millstone that is around the necks of teachers and administrators in some schools. Basically, the class is at the mercy of the slowest student in such situations. English immersion has worked for generations of students and successive waves of immigration. The mess you see now is partly from tampering with that.
Yes but the goal of "bilingual" ed is not to have educated students but to make this country just like Mexico. It goes against all political correctness to have these kids learning English or anything about this country. Billions of dollars are being wasted trying to keep them in their own culture and language.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes but the goal of "bilingual" ed is not to have educated students but to make this country just like Mexico. It goes against all political correctness to have these kids learning English or anything about this country. Billions of dollars are being wasted trying to keep them in their own culture and language.
Yeah? Whose "goal" is that? I love to read about conspiracies ... I'll pop some corn and be right back ...

Old 11-02-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Well, my comment about posting on forums is: you have expressed many times how you have tried and tried to help and serve others ... and now (after a couple of years) you are burned out ... as far as I can tell, what you mean by all this sacrifice is posting on this forum to reveal truth and reality to the dozens here. You haven't been in the military. You aren't married. No kids. Not caring for your folks. Never mention any community service organizations or past activities. What? So this must be it. A forum to show the world the nature of reality.

You know some of my background ... and I'm still at it nearly everyday. For me to horse around on a forum after all isn't anything more than a humorous distraction, in spurts, from my ongoing work with family and veterans and disabled communities.
same applies to me.. My mind likes to multi-task .. I also like to engage people of opposing views to grow my understanding/knowledge.

I mean, you ofc feel you are the only one w/ frequents the forum in this manner.
I'd never join the military in modern day America.. It's full of b.s pursuits.. I have however worked for a stint in the industry that supplies the foot soldiers with technology/weaponry to fight the b.s pursuits...

I'm taking a hiatus in years approaching ... I donate regularly.. and already have been requested to perform numerous speeches centered on my broad an realistic views of the world anywhere from middle schools/high schools/churches and community centers for troubled youth. I figured it is best to actually give something of value and substance that can change someone's life after having spent quality in time in the world achieving/understanding vs. going in and spending precious incubation time cleaning up trash from a local empty lot so that you can tell your friends you 'helped the community'.

Drawing short on the criticisms as always and reflecting on your life's achievements/involvements as if to suggest everyone should follow that path.. what you did/do is noble.. what others do far different from it is too.

*cheers again

Old 11-02-2011, 05:49 PM

[quote=CA4Now;21549616]What does that mean?

It means, when the guidance counselor/principal decided due to several factors including my skin color not to put me in the gifted/honors classes even though I had proven capability that my caring parent (dad) made frequent in person visits to the front office and raised hell until they magically found a slot available that they previously claimed didn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
By definiton, public schools are public. Like churches, they serve anyone who comes. Sorry you think that you're above that.
They are, and like many other places that serve anyone who comes.. there are vary degrees of potential of the individuals.. Sorry that you think everyone gets the same grade in a class even though in reality they don't.

There's degrees of courses in K-12 .. remedial, regular, honors, gifted, AP.

Sorry that you think there isn't a reason why they have varying degrees of 'placement' for kids of varying aptitudes.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Official national language : English. Just like Canada mandates that one shows proficiency in (a) national language before one is granted citizenship. Courses are to be taught in English. Language courses should exist to bring awareness/understanding of other languages and the buck should stop there.

Why in such a long time hasn't a national language been established? because this country is ran by idiots....

Oh but the constitution.. Yeah, the constitution that is sh*t on 50 ways to Sunday when it fits a politician's agenda .. but when it doesn't .. omg .. can't break the rules of the constitution ...

You're right malamute .. the reason for the 'bilingual' education is to suit some politician's agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California