Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 06:04 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,858,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Official national language : English. Just like Canada mandates that one shows proficiency in (a) national language before one is granted citizenship. Courses are to be taught in English. Language courses should exist to bring awareness/understanding of other languages and the buck should stop there.

Why in such a long time hasn't a national language been established? because this country is ran by idiots....

Oh but the constitution.. Yeah, the constitution that is sh*t on 50 ways to Sunday when it fits a politician's agenda .. but when it doesn't .. omg .. can't break the rules of the constitution ...

You're right malamute .. the reason for the 'bilingual' education is to suit some politician's agenda.
Oh I love the way you love and respect your country and countrymen, ytg ... a shining example for all to follow. A pleasure to have worn the uniform to get it all set up for you to trash, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 06:18 PM

26,644 posts, read 26,586,585 times
Quote:
They are, and like many other places that serve anyone who comes.. there are vary degrees of potential of the individuals.
And when a survey is taken of 1% of those students, such as the one you mentioned in the original post (which did not state how that sample was chosen; probably not randomly), it's probably going to reflect the average student.

Quote:
Sorry that you think everyone gets the same grade in a class even though in reality they don't.
I don't recall ever stating that.

Quote:
Sorry that you think there isn't a reason why they have varying degrees of 'placement' for kids of varying aptitudes.
Where do you come up with this stuff...and what does it have to do with this thread? (Oh, wait; it fits in with your "I hate California" view.)

Old 11-02-2011, 06:47 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,494,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
And when a survey is taken of 1% of those students, such as the one you mentioned in the original post (which did not state how that sample was chosen; probably not randomly), it's probably going to reflect the average student.

I don't recall ever stating that.

Where do you come up with this stuff...and what does it have to do with this thread? (Oh, wait; it fits in with your "I hate California" view.)
You make a comment. I reply in kind.. Cheers bro..
Join up w/ your boy 'null' .. I know, after a long attack, you could use some :

to quench your thirst. Back on topic after this commercial break

Old 11-02-2011, 06:59 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,166,328 times
Quote:
National test puts California students on bottom - San Jose Mercury News
So much for all that tax revenue yielding results...

"In reading, California performed worse than all other states and only outscored Washington, D.C"
^ Wonder why that is ... Can't read.. you are pretty much doomed to be able to learn.
Nowhere in the article does it mention the responsibility of the parents, they're just blaming it on the same things, money money money.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:07 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,494,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
Nowhere in the article does it mention the responsibility of the parents, they're just blaming it on the same things, money money money.
Pretty much Gem .. that gobble gobble gobble !

Old 11-02-2011, 07:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,519,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Why are you so sure that smaller school districts would change this? LAUSD has clearly wasted some heroic amounts of money in recent history. But if it were broken up in two or three parts, I think you would see some portions improve, while others looked terrible. And it would all be a result of data segregation, not actual improvements.
The massive level of bureaucracy at Beaudry (LAUSD headquarters) which sucks up much of LAUSD's budget and is incredibly corrupt, would be eliminated. The teacher's union which wants the status quo and which shares a great deal to blame for the district's troubles would be much weaker. There would be less standardization/one-size-fits-all mentality which drags down the entire district. There would be also more room to experiment with new educational models.

Smaller districts would be more responsive to the needs of students and also would be more connected to the communities they serve.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:39 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,813,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Although I don't doubt the quality of the school you mentioned - aren't the students self-selected for that school? The demographics of the student body include more than socio-economic or ethnic status. It includes their outlook and desire for education. So even if these students at first glance look like they might not be good students - they and their parents wanted a great education. So they chose the Agassi school.
I don't know the specifics, but I suspect you are right. I'm pretty sure you have to *want* to go there. I do know there is a lottery - demand exceeds supply.

Clearly, this approach wouldn't work for all -- but it does work for some.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 AM

50,134 posts, read 46,754,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I respectfully could not disagree more...

Prop 13 is a by-product of the Serrano v. Priest Decision which forever changed school funding in California.

Serrano v. Priest and not Prop 13 is the root of what ails California Public Schools. My father taught at a Public High and was lifetime credentialed... he was very unhappy with Serrano v. Priest because it gave the State power over much of what had been previously left to the local districts allocate.

Previous to Serrano v. Priest local property taxes went directly to the local school system.

It is much easier to support taxes when the money is spent locally and quite another when it all goes into the general fund for education in a State as large as California.

Even today... there are top performing public school districts as well as individual schools in districts that are poorly rated... Oakland would be an example having both ends of the spectrum.

Prop 13 is the one last stabilizing force property tax payers have...

Prop 13 also provides for additional assessments with voter approval... I live in Oakland and the Statewide 1% tax rate is less than half the 2% I pay on my home which is assessed at current market value...

I was too young to have voted for Proposition 13 at the time of it's enactment... I am forever thankful that those that came before me had the foresight to do so...
Rather than any real reform(like condensing some schools) the push for yet another increase.

SD Unified considers another tax increase pitch | SignOnSanDiego.com

Old 11-03-2011, 11:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,536,408 times
Quote:
Official national language : English. Just like Canada mandates that one shows proficiency in (a) national language before one is granted citizenship. Courses are to be taught in English. Language courses should exist to bring awareness/understanding of other languages and the buck should stop there.

Why in such a long time hasn't a national language been established? because this country is ran by idiots....

Oh but the constitution.. Yeah, the constitution that is sh*t on 50 ways to Sunday when it fits a politician's agenda .. but when it doesn't .. omg .. can't break the rules of the constitution ...

You're right malamute .. the reason for the 'bilingual' education is to suit some politician's agenda.
Parents are very much to blame. Schools need to get the parents motivated -- since so many of these parents see school as nothing but glorified and free babysitting service with free meals that saves them their food stamps and WIC, maybe it's time to "encourage" the parents take some role.

Children should be prepared for school before being enrolled. They should know their numbers at least to 10, they should know their name, some of the alphabet, all the primary colors -- in English or they wait another year to start.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:44 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,495,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Parents are very much to blame. Schools need to get the parents motivated -- since so many of these parents see school as nothing but glorified and free babysitting service with free meals that saves them their food stamps and WIC, maybe it's time to "encourage" the parents take some role.

Children should be prepared for school before being enrolled. They should know their numbers at least to 10, they should know their name, some of the alphabet, all the primary colors -- in English or they wait another year to start.
No doubt the influence of parents and grandparents is a huge factor...

I have seen families where no one speaks English and the children end up as Doctors and Engineers... these are also families where the parents put a high value on education...

On the other side... it is the rare child that does well when the parent(s) put little value on education...

I actually spoke with one mom who was berating her child for doing well in school... she said to me that he's starting to think she knows everything just because she has her teachers fooled...

The Mom was afraid her child would outshine her... the same Mom had another child that was good in football... she kept pushing him so someday he will be able to buy her a house when he plays pro-ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California