Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many Californians cannot survive without a cell phone?
Don't have a cell phone and life is still fine 10 31.25%
Couldn't make it without my cell phone even if unemployed 9 28.13%
Could give it up but would go through major withdrawals 12 37.50%
Don't have a cell phone but plan to get one soon 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:40 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

Even though I rarely use cell phones I've had one since the early 90's and feel nervous when I go out driving without one. Started with the Motorola 550 and now have an iphone 3GS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 12:58 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Its funny how some have a disdain for technology, as if its virtuous not to use it. Yet the technology lines are drawn arbitrary, people will happily use the technologies they grew up with, instead its only newer technology that is crass....

Old 11-07-2011, 04:48 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Your thread title and thread body are two very different questions. When I first read you didn't have a cell phone I couldn't believe it but when you qualified it to mean a fancy schmancy data plan smart phone then it was very believable. I think most people don't own a data plan phone. They add a lot of cost. I have a cell phone with no data plan but I also have a 3G data plan for my laptop for use in the van pool (and waiting at kids soccer practices and doctor appointments).

What really bugs me are how people who have data smart phones are SO ADDICTED to them.

Here's a TYPICAL mom on at my kid's soccer GAME (not practice) when HER OWN DAUGHTER IS PLAYING.

Top 10 Signs of Cell Phone Addiction
She is updating her Facebook status and Tweeting about her Snuggie she is wearing.

It's too late, as phones themselves came with addition issues smartphones are even worse. Not only do you have to deal with these in public places like malls, restaurants and etc but also when you drive. I now have to use my horn at stop lights more than ever because I will often get people in front of me texting, surfing the web and or etc when the light turns green and they will just sit there in there own realm.

Also not uncommon to see 12 year olds, both boys and girls with the latest and greatest smartphones walking around the mall. Or better yet seeing an entire family of 5 out at a restaurant not interacting with themselves but their smartphones, iPads and Etc.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:05 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Its funny how some have a disdain for technology, as if its virtuous not to use it. Yet the technology lines are drawn arbitrary, people will happily use the technologies they grew up with, instead its only newer technology that is crass....
While this is true, I don't find it anything but typical human resistance to change. Funny though, ain't it? Humans are the only life form on the planet that can't find satisfaction in what they are given naturally .. so they are driven to tinker and discover and invent with an obsession. Seems like everything needs to be "NEW & IMPROVED!" right down to dishwashing soap. Then half of us drag our feet and grumble about being forced to change while the other half claw their way to the front of the line to buy the latest

I really am a Luddite myself ... eschew most everything techy ... but have also accepted that life is short and the world goes round in spite of my preferences. If I want to enjoy family and friends and general mobility around them, I can't escape using technology without turning it into a mission that interferes with what short time I've got on this planet. I resisted a cell until recently. But the world is completely oriented around their use now. And with the wife being profoundly Deaf, and I partially so, texting on a cell has opened her natural isolation quite a bit. I'm happy to put up with it to see her pleasure and convenience.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:15 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,746 times
I can't live without a cell phone. But I can live without it for a day or two and not worry about it.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Oh forgot to add. We have phone serve at home through our Internet provider. We have been using VoIP since 2006. Not related to cell phones but still up the same alley. I calculated we have saved about $5000 dollars in the last 5 years since getting rid of ATT.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:01 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Guilty as charged. As a proud Luddite do not own a cell phone and have no intention of ever doing so, have no idea what a smart phone is let alone what it does, and have a landline that looks like the one in post #18 except that mine is tan. My VCR conked out about a year ago and really have little desire to get a DVD or DVR. Still play cassette tapes and only recently started buying CDs, they are real cheap now that they are going obsolete(?). The only modern tech that I have embraced is what you are now looking at. Long live Retro.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:04 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Just curious how many Californians view cell phones as a necessity of their daily lives? These seem to be such a part of most ppls lives here that I find it funny thinking how ppl would manage without them. I still don't have one. Though my wife has an android smart phone. I know kids who have no job yet nag their parents into getting them one. I also know ppl who are unemployed and on gov't assistance. Yet somehow they have to have the cell phone. And I'm not just talking a basic cell phone, but ones with data plans, etc... I wonder how folks who can barely pay for food and shelter see this as such a gotta have high priority.

Derek
I've given up trying to wonder or make sense of it .. I instead decided to become a shareholder of both Verizon/AT&T and let people do whatever makes them happy .. Makes no sense to me, but if they are going to throw tax dollars away given to them to help them survive on stupid crap like smartphones.. I'm going to go right ahead and invest in the corporations taking that money in order to get my wasted tax dollars back

Old 11-07-2011, 12:09 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
I guess I could but it's cheaper (and more convenient) than using a landline.

Although VoIP is even cheaper but you'll need internet (and there's no way I can't go without internet, not to mention costing me MORE money in the long run.)

Old 11-07-2011, 12:11 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Anyone here ever been talking to someone when they stop responding? A closer look reveals that they're texting. Or you're engaged in discourse with someone and they suddenly shift from talking to you to talking to the air?

Then you notice the Lt. Uhuru thingamajig hanging off their ear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California