Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 03:28 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
No better place to grow old than the Central Coast of CA, never hot, never cold.
Sigh...Monterey, SLO, and Santa Barbara Counties...probably my favorite area in California. Wish there were more jobs there, otherwise I'd live there.

Maybe when I retire. If the planet survives 2012 that is.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:30 PM

296 posts, read 614,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodneighbor1234 View Post
I'm seeing more and more out of state license plates. From where are you moving back?

Out of State license plates that I'm starting to see lots of: Arizona, Nevada, Texas, Oregon, Washington, and some Idaho.

Max exodus?
I'm moving back from Europe. With a ~2.5yrs expired CA license. Hoping I can get it renewed w/o any hassle and get into a new set of wheels...?

where I am in now it costs (required) 1200 euro for driving school just to get a license... and yea, by school, that means you do have to sit through a class .... Oh, how I love America ...

Old 11-12-2011, 04:36 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
I'm moving back from Europe. With a ~2.5yrs expired CA license. Hoping I can get it renewed w/o any hassle and get into a new set of wheels...?

where I am in now it costs (required) 1200 euro for driving school just to get a license... and yea, by school, that means you do have to sit through a class .... Oh, how I love America ...

I moved back to California after an absence of 35 years, the state gave my old license back, same numbers.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:40 PM

296 posts, read 614,129 times
SWEET!

You just rock up at the DMV and slap it down on the counter?

Last edited by scottfreez; 11-12-2011 at 05:44 PM..

Old 11-12-2011, 05:09 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
I did not have my old license, I had my other state license, I turned it in, and got a CA license, it wasn't until the permanent came in the mail that I saw it was my old number, easy to remember as it was only two digits off my military service number.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:44 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
We moved to WA in 2007, and moved back to CA in 2010. We're starting to regret moving back, though.
They say you can never go back...

A good friends wife was very unhappy in California... she actually became very depressed... they had a nice home and good jobs.

They sold most everything to move to her small home town... she had been away 12 years... left at age 19.

Anyway... they stuck it out for a year... they both took huge pay cuts and the things she remembered from her childhood had all changed... new shopping malls, friends had moved away or had different lives...

So they packed up and moved back to California... that was 7 years ago... they were in no position to afford the neighborhood or type of house they had...

They are still together and she made her husband promised not to listen to her if she every wants to move again... financially, they took a big hit.

From high in Oakland Hills to small town New Hampshire and back to the Bay Area...

Old 11-12-2011, 07:49 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

A good friends wife was very unhappy in California... she actually became very depressed... they had a nice home and good jobs.

They sold most everything to move to her small home town... she had been away 12 years... left at age 19.

Anyway... they stuck it out for a year... they both took huge pay cuts and the things she remembered from her childhood had all changed... new shopping malls, friends had moved away or had different lives...

So they packed up and moved back to California... that was 7 years ago... they were in no position to afford the neighborhood or type of house they had...

They are still together and she made her husband promised not to listen to her if she every wants to move again... financially, they took a big hit.

From high in Oakland Hills to small town New Hampshire and back to the Bay Area...
Well now ... New Hampshire is one of my handful of exceptions! ... Except for the weather once you get used to California

Old 11-12-2011, 07:53 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,223 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/12/yo...s-debated.html

In September, Senator Charles E. Schumer, Democrat of New York, said that “$250,000 makes you really rich in Mississippi, but it doesn’t make you rich at all in New York, and there ought to be some kind of scale based on the cost of living on how much you pay.”

“The federal government effectively taxes workers for living in large cities while subsidizing them to live in rural areas.”

California pays more than its fair share of federal income tax according to this article.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:51 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

That was, to an extent, how it was for me when I moved back up to WA, which is where my mom is from and where I was born. We moved back and forth between WA and New England throughout my childhood.

Although the catalyst for my move was job loss as opposed to warm fuzzies, the latter ended up being an effect of my decision to move back up North. I couldn't wait. The place that I moved back to had basically no resemblance and only a remote relation to the place I'd lived in as a kid, due in part to the age gap and also due to the realities of the interceding time.

My mom told me that the same thing had happened to her: the reason we moved from the Boston area when I was a kid back to WA was due to her homesickness; we moved back to Boston because she realized that "home" was no longer there.

Living in a major city in CA isn't cheap. You have to deal with traffic, commute times, irate drivers, large numbers of people who barely speak English, high utility and fuel costs, sales and income tax, and it all happens under sunny skies that makes it feel like you're in a music video that never ends. Moving to a place with no traffic, low commute times, benign drivers, large numbers of people who look like you and speak the same language and maybe even share the same ideology as you, has lower utility costs and either sales or income tax but not both, with changing seasons to mark the years going by can sound absolutely heavenly.

Then you get there, and it's boring. The people around you fill their extra time they save on commuting with minding other peoples' business and caring way too much about others' lifestyles or habits, with excess amounts of TV. You're spending less, but you make less. There isn't a good Chinese restaurant or taqueria anywhere close to you; even if you wanted to cook it yourself, the produce is expensive and you end up not being able to get half the ingredients. You realize that Wal-Mart is your alpha and omega for groceries, clothes, electronics, basically 90% of your purchases. You start to miss the cool things you'd get at the mom-and-pops, the availability of and exposure to all manner of different, new, and interesting things.

The fact that you have a bigger place than you did down here and your tax dollars aren't going to a dysfunctional state government no longer seem to matter so much to you as they thought they did, and you start sending your CV out to places back in CA to see what's out there. You realize that it was much, much harder to quantify the "quality of life" that you were damn-near certain California lacked until you moved somewhere that lacked many of the things you loved.

California isn't for everyone, and to those people, California isn't worth the cost of entrance. But to me, and to millions of others, some of whom are posting in this forum, it's hard to imagine life elsewhere after you've done it here.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:59 PM

608 posts, read 923,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/12/yo...s-debated.html

In September, Senator Charles E. Schumer, Democrat of New York, said that “$250,000 makes you really rich in Mississippi, but it doesn’t make you rich at all in New York, and there ought to be some kind of scale based on the cost of living on how much you pay.”

“The federal government effectively taxes workers for living in large cities while subsidizing them to live in rural areas.”

California pays more than its fair share of federal income tax according to this article.
Well, if Cali would quit putting folks like Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Boxer in office year after year, taxes would be far lower throughout the USA than they are today. (Sorry Cali. Your state is cool, your weather is awesome, your land is beautiful and diverse, but your politics are horrific.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California