Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 7,842 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking a job in Irvine, CA. I currently live in Rosemead, CA and at the very moment do not wish to move. It possible I may be more open to a move in 3 months or so, but I would just like some information / opinions on this commute and other options.

Background
Originally from TX. Came out to LA for College, Graduated, & Wanted to Stay in Cali. I currently live in rosemead, CA but am considering a job in irvine. At this time, im not that interested in moving because most of my friends live in the west LA (hollywood/bev) / East LA areas, i came to cali for LA, etc etc. Anyways heres the commute listed below / google mapped.

The directions i entered in google map are below:
To : 2000 Main St. Irvine, CA (right off the 405)

Pretty much the options google map gave me are :
1) Taking the 5s > 55s > 405 (45 miles)
2) Taking the 60e > 57s > 55s > 405 (44 miles)
3) another option taking the 5s

*The google map of these 2 directions provides a better detailed map if you dont mind looking

If anyone could help me out with information / if this is worth it please let me know! Keep in mind, i dont want to move for atleast 2-3 months so i will be doing this commute for that long. In the future i may think of moving to long beach to shorten the commute. I believe the job will most likely be the normal 9-5 typish but I also have buffer time if I wish to arrive early / leave late from irvine. This is b/c i dont mind working out (LA Fitness nearby in irvine im sure) before or after work if that means i can skip traffic time. Hope you guys understand this ><.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 7,842 times
Mainly looking for information on which route to take, whether id be going with / against traffic, how long this commute would normally take, others experiences, alternative routes like metrolink, feasibility due to gas cost, etc....

A lil more information - Job is about 30k a yr salary + comission. Im new to sales so most likely for the first year 40k tops. My car is fairly old 1997 es300 lexus with 150k miles. I have already purchased a 2007 camry with much better mileage (24mpg avg). Just to put a lil extra perspective on this.

Any help or info appreciated!! And thanks for helping a recent grad stay out in LA !

Old 11-09-2011, 04:40 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times
Traffic on all the fwys you mentioned is going to be an absolute nightmare, if you are able to start work later and then work out at the gym in Irvine and hit the road after 7pm you should be fine! Between 7:30-9:30am or 4pm-7ishpm forget it...too stressful.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:36 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
I wouldn't take that commute if it paid $140k. Just think how much it'll cost you in fuel, maintenance, etc for a $40k job.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:06 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
Drive to the nearest Metrolink station and take the train. Only way to do that sanely. There is a shuttle from the Metrolink station to around Jamboree and Main every 15 minutes IIRC

Old 11-09-2011, 07:26 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Drive to the nearest Metrolink station and take the train. Only way to do that sanely. There is a shuttle from the Metrolink station to around Jamboree and Main every 15 minutes IIRC
Even then, that's A LOT of time in transit every day.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:06 PM

156 posts, read 404,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSMAN75 View Post
I am considering taking a job in Irvine, CA. I currently live in Rosemead, CA and at the very moment do not wish to move. It possible I may be more open to a move in 3 months or so, but I would just like some information / opinions on this commute and other options.

Background
Originally from TX. Came out to LA for College, Graduated, & Wanted to Stay in Cali. I currently live in rosemead, CA but am considering a job in irvine. At this time, im not that interested in moving because most of my friends live in the west LA (hollywood/bev) / East LA areas, i came to cali for LA, etc etc. Anyways heres the commute listed below / google mapped.

The directions i entered in google map are below:
To : 2000 Main St. Irvine, CA (right off the 405)

Pretty much the options google map gave me are :
1) Taking the 5s > 55s > 405 (45 miles)
2) Taking the 60e > 57s > 55s > 405 (44 miles)
3) another option taking the 5s

*The google map of these 2 directions provides a better detailed map if you dont mind looking

If anyone could help me out with information / if this is worth it please let me know! Keep in mind, i dont want to move for atleast 2-3 months so i will be doing this commute for that long. In the future i may think of moving to long beach to shorten the commute. I believe the job will most likely be the normal 9-5 typish but I also have buffer time if I wish to arrive early / leave late from irvine. This is b/c i dont mind working out (LA Fitness nearby in irvine im sure) before or after work if that means i can skip traffic time. Hope you guys understand this ><.
that drive is a nightmare,i just drove it mon and tues and its absoloutely horrible

Old 11-12-2011, 10:20 PM

298 posts, read 389,783 times
Ride a motorcycle or leave early!

Old 11-13-2011, 12:36 AM

38,886 posts, read 22,870,508 times
You mentioned possibly moving to Long Beach later to shorten your commute. I live near Long Beach and had a job in Irvine off Jamboree Blvd. back in 2005. Let me tell you--even from Long Beach, the commute to and from Irvine every day is an absolute nightmare. It didn't matter if I took the 5 South or the 405 South in the morning--it was just HORRID. I could remember one morning driving south on the 405 and a major accident near South Coast Plaza shut down the freeway. I ended up getting off the freeway in Westminster and taking surface streets all the way to Irvine from there. Amazingly enough, I arrived at work only 30 minutes late.

At this same job, I had a co-worker who lived in Baldwin Park (a 44-mile one-way trip). Fortunately for her, she had a sister who lived in nearby Costa Mesa, and during the week, she would stay with her. At least she had that option; I didn't.

I echo everyone else's sentiments here. You do not want to do the East L.A. to Irvine commute for very long if you don't want to go postal without warning one day!

Old 11-14-2011, 08:56 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
And get an iPad to pay with on the Metrolink everyday.. hey, at least it beats driving in traffic.

Another alternative is to move south to Whittier or Cerritos where you'll be closer to Irvine but not much farther away from W. LA.

Live as close to the Freeway onramp as possible.

Also, definitely get www.waze.com if you have a smartphone!!!

Last edited by ragnarkar; 11-14-2011 at 09:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California