Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 02:39 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Just so we can get this out of the way, I don't care that you pretended to "serve" your country in the past by joining the US war machine. Furthermore, my life would not be improved by participating in the US military industrial complex, nor would it be improved by killing people in the mid-east for oil. There is no honor in the military, it is a waste created out of humans inability to create a more sane, a more rational....equilibrium.

I joked about dropping out of Jr High...and you think you're community college comments are going to hurt my feelings? But I actually did start at a community college, indeed, I'm rather grateful for the system....without it I may have ended up like....you guys.

So back to the protestors, the numerous tuition hikes are rather unfortunate for California....but the protestors are barking up the wrong tree. For that they are suckers....
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Don't kind yourself, you guys are too young to have been involved in any conflict that had anything to do with my rights as a US citizen. Furthermore, as I've said before, I don't take part in this neanderthal nationalism.... You're only going to get a reaction from this sort of thing with those that buy into nationalism....us nomadic sorts..simply don't care.

Regardless, I'm not the one that brought this into the discussion, you oldsters seem to inject your short military background into just about everything though...

So, as I was saying, the protestors have something to be angry with....but they are barking up the wrong tree and their efforts are pointless. Protests like this change nothing...... As far as I'm concerned using the fire dept would be a position development, maybe they would start a serious protest as a result.... You know...give them something to legitimately call the fire dept about....

Just imagine how effective the Boston Tea party would have been if a bunch of slackers sat on the ground in front of the ship yards....
All righty then ... I note that user_id has been consciously tossing in comments relevant to the topic here and there in an apparent attempt to keep the thread from closing. This is because of his/her love of noodge debate ... but, whatever ... I too would like to see this thread continue a bit more for two reasons:
1. the subject is actually pretty interesting in its own, California related, right
2. it's also quite entertaining
I only have a few minutes a day to indulge in checking emails and C D insanities in between getting this boat ready to indulge in real life ... so I hope you all will find ways to return to the topic from time to time so I have something fun to read over lunch breaks.

user_id, you are hilarious ... and a curious character ... eminently offensive, as well. Quite the pernicious noodge. I would point out that, while the military-industrial complex is a real fraud, as you note, and that no war since WWII had any real defensive call, the fraud that we all live in the midst of, has become, nonetheless, a reality ... escape out of which and into any sanity is not simply possible by mere superior vision and refusal to play. Every aspect of our world has become so interdependent that stopping the fraud would result in total, disastrously destructive chaos -- except by some brilliant master-planning to be executed over a long transition time frame. Which is not likely to ever happen.

Thus, to continue the very infrastructure in which you thrive, even stupid military sacrifice of knuckleheads like me and Curmudgeon and highnlite insures your existence. And only protests, including the one of topic here, have any ameliorative effect -- however small and temporary ... they do serve to keep us from total capsize as we bail like mad to stay afloat. The greater evil is to accept the neo-feudal fascists as inevitable. You won't restore any sanity by overthrowing them outright ... but to not oppose them is equally disastrous.

Meanwhile, people like you who can't appreciate what people like me and Chief and high do classifies you as among the very smallest of minds and hearts. And neither would you ever have the toughness or realistic intellect to answer any call. You have repeatedly represented yourself as arrogantly aloof from the community that supports you. In truly tough times, as on a battlefield, folks like you just don't last long. So enjoy your little self-indulgent selfish scam of living off those of us who actually put in the sweat, however much it is part of the fraudulent pageant created by sociopathic monsters -- and pray you never have to face any actual challenge that requires courage.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:04 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,939 times
Well, I must admit, I seldom make a point designed simply to get a rise out of someone, but this time I did, and it did. Too funny.

Now one can say what one will about the military, but, it does provide a crucible that turns boys into men. My wife says that she can tell fairly quickly whether a man has been in the military or not, because he is a man, not peter pan.

This nation sadly is full of peter pans, and they often are quite successful, because of sacrifices made by others that they are darn well not ever going to make.

I talked with my nephew on T day, he is deploying to Afghanistan as a Marine infantryman in March. Now, I did not support his joining, and I would prefer that he stay away from Afghanistan, I would like him to be one of the pogues he laughs at, but, he made his decisions, and those decisions are his destiny.

The one thing I can say, is, He is a man, and will do a man's job, and that is more than some punk kid who snidely denigrates the very people that give him the freedom to snidely denigrate them.

MOD CUT

Null, I will wave as we wing in over your head on Thursday, a quick stop at the Honolulu airport then a puddle jumper to Kauai for two weeks. Lord knows what I am going to do there, a little Scuba and a lot of hiking I guess (I have been certified as a diver for 40 years, but, have not found it a very exciting hobby, a dive a decade, that's my motto.)

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-28-2011 at 10:11 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 05:19 PM

267 posts, read 175,506 times
I would say an 84 year should have better sense then put herself in this position. Just goes to show, you can't change the 'liberal gene'.
When protestor's DONT' LISTEN to police, even AFTER being told several times to disperse and not block the way, they locked arms, yelled at the police obsenity's, and would not listen. She got what she deserved. If you put yourself out there, EXPECT a problem, because YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW, once you don't listen to the police instruction. No sympathy.
Grandma should be home, crocheting hats for our military in muslim countrys.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:51 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Maybe this is the wrong thread for this question, but would anyone mind explaining what the occupy protesters want?

I tried asking some of them and they do not know. They are just angry.

But if you win, what happens?

What is it that they want?

Old 11-28-2011, 06:57 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumntimetwo View Post
I would say an 84 year should have better sense then put herself in this position. Just goes to show, you can't change the 'liberal gene'.
When protestor's DONT' LISTEN to police, even AFTER being told several times to disperse and not block the way, they locked arms, yelled at the police obsenity's, and would not listen. She got what she deserved. If you put yourself out there, EXPECT a problem, because YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW, once you don't listen to the police instruction. No sympathy.
Grandma should be home, crocheting hats for our military in muslim countrys.
And those black people marching for civil rights in the South deserved to have german shepherds attack them.

Those darned Boston Terrorists throwing Tea into the Harbor should have been flogged by the police.

And the citizens of Boston massacred by the British soldiers for protesting conditions deserved all they got.

We can spread it out a little, the nerve of the Jews to protest the lawful orders of the German police to get into the cattle cars.

The hundreds of dead Indians at Amritsar deserved to die for ignoring the commands of the lawful authorities..

Old 11-28-2011, 07:18 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Maybe this is the wrong thread for this question, but would anyone mind explaining what the occupy protesters want?

I tried asking some of them and they do not know. They are just angry.

But if you win, what happens?

What is it that they want?
Is it that difficult to comprehend?

1. Protect democracy against corporate power
2. Reduce wealth concentration and income inequality
3. Increase government spending on jobs and education

Old 11-28-2011, 07:59 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Every aspect of our world has become so interdependent that stopping the fraud would result in total, disastrously destructive chaos -- except by some brilliant master-planning to be executed over a long transition time frame. Which is not likely to ever happen.
Funny....so you think military expansion in a nuclear age is not "disastrously destructive chaos"....but putting an end to the military industrial complex is?! I don't know....seems like you got it backwards.

It wouldn't require a "brilliant master planning", in fact its real simple. Just replace the important economic aspects of the military complex with alternate programs. Now...is it politically realistic? Probably not....but the shift in itself is rather simple.

Quote:
And only protests, including the one of topic here, have any ameliorative effect -- however small and temporary ... they do serve to keep us from total capsize as we bail like mad to stay afloat.
Obviously I disagree with this, the protests will achieve nothing and will in fact be twisted into something that supports some established interest...

Quote:
In truly tough times, as on a battlefield, folks like you just don't last long.
So enjoy your little self-indulgent selfish scam of living off those of us who actually put in the sweat...
I think you're missing the part where "folks like me" wouldn't be on the battlefield to began with....I have no allegiance to any nation...so why would I fight for one? And yes, I will enjoy matters....I think its a bit funny that you oldsters think your nationalistic nonsense is going to have any meaning for someone like me....obviously.....something isn't computing. Further, in terms of those that "put in the sweat", the natural state of is free. The coyote wakes up in the morning and does as he wishes, what gets in the way of man, well, guys as yourself.

Lastly, in terms of being "offensive", contrary to what you believe I don't go onto these forums with the intention to offend anyone. Indeed, this is a topic I largely avoid because I know it draws out emotional, and hence irrational, responses.... But you oldsters just can't stop yourself from bringing it up in any disagreement...and still my comments are mild compared to what I really think.

Last edited by user_id; 11-28-2011 at 08:18 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 08:45 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

Now one can say what one will about the military, but, it does provide a crucible that turns boys into men. My wife says that she can tell fairly quickly whether a man has been in the military or not, because he is a man, not peter pan.
There are plenty of "men" that have never seen the inside of a armed forces building.

There are also plenty of soldiers full of self righteousness, arrogance, false bravado, and the "do you know what I did for you" attitude. Sounds familiar......

Old 11-28-2011, 10:14 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
Man, you go away for a few days on Thanksgiving weekend...

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California