Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:32 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
That may have been true a month ago but now the so called protests have become havens for assassins, ne'er do wells, traitors, revolutionaries and other criminals who seek to overthrow the very Founding Documents you have highlighted.
Isn't that a direct quote from Royal Governor Thomas Hutchinson of Massachusetts, December 16 1773?

Old 11-17-2011, 09:40 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
People who get hit with pepper spray do not cover their face with milk and pose for pictures.
Just for information purposes, milk is useful for neutralizing alkaline substances like pepper spray due to the lactic acid content.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:05 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Isn't that a direct quote from Royal Governor Thomas Hutchinson of Massachusetts, December 16 1773?
Um ... the only thing in the UK even remotely resembling a "Founding Document" is the Magna Carta. There is no "Declaration of Independence" or "Constitution" in a proper written format.

Our Founding Fathers were very directed and precise in their war efforts and really did not initially seek independence. They sought reform. What started as an internal UK squabble morphed into a Civil War (even though we incorrectly label it a Revolution) resulting in the Secession of certain American colonies.

Today's Occupy crazies are the furthest things from mid to late 18th Century Whig and Country Party members. Their principles are utterly inimical to our age old Founding Principles.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:19 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Doobie night for you?

If there are any "assassins, ne'er do wells, traitors, revolutionaries [or] other criminals" who seek to overthrow the gummint in that bunch, they are not serious threats nor going to get very far You can relax and stand down.

This is a very strong and growing movement that will continue for years. The change required to restore democracy to this country relatively free of undue corporate control will be a long slow process ... just as were the labor and civil rights movements.
Pure democracy leads to dictatorship and despotism.

We don't have and never had a pure Democracy. We have a Representative Republic based on the principles of Republican Democracy. I have specifically selected this verbiage.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:50 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
I am not amused ... and neither is Dorli Rainey, an 84-year-woman given a "bath" with pepper spray while exercising her right to free speech at a Seattle protest yesterday ... says Darli: "I guess I'm pretty tough ... I'll be back out here tomorrow".

I don't think she stinks. I think she is what made America great.
Actually, I believe she was sprayed when she refused to disperse, as told to by the police. Because they were obstructing the right of way.

Nothing peaceful about these protests.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:57 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Pure democracy leads to dictatorship and despotism.

We don't have and never had a pure Democracy. We have a Representative Republic based on the principles of Republican Democracy. I have specifically selected this verbiage.
A student of Lord Woodhouselee on C D California Forum? Cool! What fun! (And not entirely incorrect either)
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage.
That accounted for, you are correct, ours is a republic, not a true democracy -- which term I use loosely and knowingly (and slightly shamefully) because it is the term commonly used by the proletariat. I beg forgiveness, Lord Woodhouselee the II.

What is most fun about your bringing this to the surface is that, if we [loosely] take 1776 as a start date for our republic/democracy, and apply the average of 200 years lifespan for a great civilization, as proposed by Lord Woodhouselee, we jump to 1976 and find ourselves nearly spot on the election of Ronald Reagan, which administration ushered in the financial wolves who have, over the past 30 years, become the dictatorship you, and Woodhouselee the Ist, suggest always follows a democracy. Neat package. I like it.

Now then, moving forward. Time for a new democracy/republic. And, while the folks in the Occupy streets aren't up to snuff with you -- yet -- give 'em a bit more than 2 months to develop. Tsk. Such an age of instant gratification! Takes time to develop a new Great Civilization and get 'er launched!

Old 11-18-2011, 02:05 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Actually, I believe she was sprayed when she refused to disperse, as told to by the police. Because they were obstructing the right of way...
I believe the same: she was sprayed while practicing civil disobedience -- good for her! And how, pray, is pepper-spraying a non-violent, 84-year-old, civilly-disobedient, free, American citizen justified by the police?

Who is "obstructing the right of way" is the neo-feudal corporate lords of the manor.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:10 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Null early Christmas for ya

Old 11-18-2011, 04:25 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,960 times
Quote:
I believe the same: she was sprayed while practicing civil disobedience -- good for her! And how, pray, is pepper-spraying a non-violent, 84-year-old, civilly-disobedient, free, American citizen justified by the police?

Who is "obstructing the right of way" is the neo-feudal corporate lords of the manor.
A marvellous woman displaying some guts, and exercising her rights in a free country, good on her.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:59 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Portland pepper spray incident generates iconic Occupy photo - latimes.com

Iconic photo caption : Open wide... SKEET SKEET

Am I wrong for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California