Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 03:22 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times

Advertisements

County line is an old center line, the river has moved since then and the line does not follow the moves. None of our ranches are near the river, they are separate from each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 04:32 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp killer View Post
True, but I have friends that lived in a nice section of Santa Maria and they were robbed twice, burglary. In broad daylight!!! And nobody saw anything. I don't know how someone can carry a huge TV, stereo, and guns down a street in a nice section of Santa Maria and not be suspicious. And they got it over an 8 foot high block wall on a busy street!!!!! And another person I know who lives in Santa Maria hates living there and is trying to get out. She always says if it's not nailed down, they steal it. Her kids bike was stolen right off their porch in the morning, again, in a nice area near Walmart. It's little incidents like these and what you read in the news that add up, Santa Maria is a dump, best thing to do is avoid the whole place if possible. There are much nicer places on the Central Coast.
My aunt lives in a nice suburban area in OC and that happens too. I live in Templeton, and there are even robberies here in nice parts. Welcome to California!

Tell me about a place where this stuff doesnt happen. There is crime in SLO too. Instead of Hispanics commiting the crimes, it's white poor college students.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
When we planned our relocation to the Central Coast we had a choice between a ranch in Santa Barbara County and a ranch in San Luis County. We decided that if we built on our land in Santa Barbara County we would use a relatives San Luis County address and enroll our youngest at Arroyo Grande High School. Righetti is the best Santa Maria area public high school, but it too has issues we did not want to deal with.
So you commuted to drop your daughter off at AG High? That is dedication.

One of my good friends went to Righetti and liked it and is in a good college now.

I suppose since you are Agnostic you never considered putting your daughter through St. Joseph or Valley Christian and both are very fine schools IMHO.

One other option is the charter school in Los Olivos, but that's a drive.

AG I think however ranks number 3 on test scores in the county. Templeton is number 2. And Morro Bay is number one. Makes sense that Morro Bay out does alot of them since the wealthy people who work in SLO, but have more money to live near the beach put their kids at Morro Bay High School.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:49 PM

No, we did not build on the Santa Barbara County ranch.

Do not rate a school by how well the students do on multiple choice tests, life is not a multiple choice test.

Arroyo Grande does a damned good job of preparing its students. My daughter aced the national AP test, due, not to her brains alone, but to the excellent teaching she got at AG, she also got a full ride at Cal Poly, due to her scholastic achievement.

Agnostic is a label, like Christian or Athiest, people with labels have much in common with each other. They like labels.

I am neither an agnostic or an athiest or a believer in any form of religion.

I would have no problem with St Joe, or Mission, but I would not put my kid in a protestant christian school, I have a low tolerance for irrationality.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:02 PM

168 posts, read 554,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
So you commuted to drop your daughter off at AG High? That is dedication.

One of my good friends went to Righetti and liked it and is in a good college now.

I suppose since you are Agnostic you never considered putting your daughter through St. Joseph or Valley Christian and both are very fine schools IMHO.

One other option is the charter school in Los Olivos, but that's a drive.

AG I think however ranks number 3 on test scores in the county. Templeton is number 2. And Morro Bay is number one. Makes sense that Morro Bay out does alot of them since the wealthy people who work in SLO, but have more money to live near the beach put their kids at Morro Bay High School.
You missed my point, i said "public school" not private schools. FYI, Morro Bay is a part of San Luis Coastal Unified School District (MB/SLO/Avila), one of the only "self-help" districts in the state, that says enough.

And if you ever researched zillow or some other website, home values in San Luis are far more than Morro Bay. Yet again, ignorance is bliss for you.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
No, we did not build on the Santa Barbara County ranch.

Do not rate a school by how well the students do on multiple choice tests, life is not a multiple choice test.

Arroyo Grande does a damned good job of preparing its students. My daughter aced the national AP test, due, not to her brains alone, but to the excellent teaching she got at AG, she also got a full ride at Cal Poly, due to her scholastic achievement.

Agnostic is a label, like Christian or Athiest, people with labels have much in common with each other. They like labels.

I am neither an agnostic or an athiest or a believer in any form of religion.

I would have no problem with St Joe, or Mission, but I would not put my kid in a protestant christian school, I have a low tolerance for irrationality.
Test scores is one way to compare how good schools rank and number of AP courses offered, number of extra curricular activities, and safety are other factors. Templeton has 800 students, very low drug problems and fighting due to it's size, lots of AP classes, a performing arts center, an ag farm, and is working on having a swim team. It had a girls swim team for a while.

Unfortunately Templeton won't ever have wrestling as wrestling is being lobbyied against to be out of schools because of it's high cost because of the injury risks.

AG is a much larger high school, has a great performing arts center too, a nice football field too, and lots of AP classes. But it also its own drug problem and fights on campus. Mostly because it gets students from the lower-income cities of Oceano and Grover Beach and parts of bad areas of Nipomo. AG has several cops on campus. Templeton has a deputy part time.

St. Joseph is way better than all of the schools in SLO county. They are great in athletics and great at academics and many apply to get in, but only the smartest test in.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
But it also its own drug problem and fights on campus
Not really, I know of one fight on campus in the past 4 years. Nipomo has its own school, Nipomo kids go to Nipomo High, AG sometimes has a cop on campus, he rides a bicycle.

I disagree that St Joe is better than all schools in SLO county. I disagree that the outcome of a student from AG is second to any school. I mentioned my daughter who got a full ride at Cal Poly, how many kids from Templeton got a full scholarship to Cal Poly?

Remember, school is what you make it.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:23 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Quote:
Not really, I know of one fight on campus in the past 4 years. Nipomo has its own school, Nipomo kids go to Nipomo High, AG sometimes has a cop on campus, he rides a bicycle.

I disagree that St Joe is better than all schools in SLO county. I disagree that the outcome of a student from AG is second to any school. I mentioned my daughter who got a full ride at Cal Poly, how many kids from Templeton got a full scholarship to Cal Poly?

Budget cuts really suck!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:08 PM

yuk Yuk Yuk

Old 11-30-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:

For Templeton's size, there was a good number of students who get good scholarships and scholarships that were full rides and went to good schools and prestigious schools. Many students at Templeton graduated and went to better schools than Cal Poly SLO and our class president got a full ride to UCLA.
For starters, AG High is not on this list:

www2.ed.gov/programs/nclbbrs/list-2003.doc

And if that doesn't convince you, here are even more sources:

Templeton High School - Templeton, California/CA - Public School Review

Arroyo Grande High School - Arroyo Grande, California/CA - Public School Review

The student per teacher ratio is higher in Templeton.

And just because you only know of one fight at AG High, doesn't mean there weren't others. I gurantee you crap probably happened at that school.

And 26% students who attend AG High are Hispanic. Again, you get the lower income families from Grover Beach and Oceano.

The only thing Templeton does not have is more sports teams than AG High. Templeton doesn't have wrestling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California