Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:51 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,732,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Instead of a bullet train we should just remove the speed limit on freeways and upgrade them appropriately. It would be substantially cheaper and more useful to all Californians. Good luck finding a politician with the balls to propose this.
Have you seen the air quality in the San Joaquin Valley? Getting people out of their cars is crucial to making the area livable. I am dead serious, it is a cesspool. My family lives there, and it breaks my heart that they have to breath that stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 10:50 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,342,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
If California really does add another 10-20 million people in the next 20-40 years
No way. Not going to happen.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:42 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,552,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Have you seen the air quality in the San Joaquin Valley? Getting people out of their cars is crucial to making the area livable. I am dead serious, it is a cesspool. My family lives there, and it breaks my heart that they have to breath that stuff.
The vast majority of smog forming pollution (NOx and HC) comes from heavy diesel trucks, NOT modern gasoline fueled cars that are subject to regular emissions tests. Getting people to their destination quickly and conveniently (AKA in their own car) is crucial to making the area livable.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:54 PM

6,881 posts, read 8,220,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
No way. Not going to happen.
What makes you so certain? And what if it does, or more?

Old 12-06-2011, 12:56 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,802,008 times
California is supposed to grow to 50 or 60 Million by 2050 , the US will grow to 480 Million and the Northeast will grow to 75 Million.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:01 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,342,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
What makes you so certain? And what if it does, or more?
The economic and demographic facts are my guide.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:21 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,905,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
California Bullet Train Project Advances Amid Cries of Boondoggle

Nice to see the governor and legislators, which were voted in by the majority of Californians I may add, give their constituents the finger and go full steam ahead with the train to nowhere. Does not matter, the majority of Californians will vote these people back in anyways, despite the politician's utter contempt and disdain they show to these voters. I leave it to the reader as an exercise to figure out how such a complete and utter failure of democracy came about in such a grand and $100 billion dollar manner.

I think the $100 billion train will only create jobs for the lawyers for the vast quantity of California NIMBYs in the peninsula, farmers, southern CA, and various environmentalists throwing down lawsuit after lawsuit to prevent this from being built. Other jobs include the California politicians who need cushy positions after they term out.
Cost for California bullet train system rises to $77.3 billion

Note: date of my original post in 2011...

Quote:
The rail authority also said the earliest trains could operate on a partial system between San Francisco and Bakersfield would be 2029 — four years later than the previous projection. The full system would not begin operating until 2033.
Wow just wow. Tell me again how you "feel" High Speed Rail in California is going to be so much better and we'll be just like Japan and Europe again. Just close your eyes and pretend California high speed rail is just around the corner and we'll never have to drive cars again. Ignore the reality that actually exists because it doesn't fit what you perceive to be true.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:31 PM

8,284 posts, read 6,366,578 times
If your above 50 your paying for something you'll never see.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:26 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,092,461 times
I'm baffled there's so much resentment towards this project. Europe and China already have tons of high speed rails. With our challenging geography and absurdly expensive housing, this will give people the chance to spread out and get cheaper housing and work jobs in the job centers. I'm all for it.

And some of the funding was at least the last time I checked Federal.

And yes these things take time. I'd expect it to take 20 years, so what.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:47 PM

2,012 posts, read 1,714,177 times
We have train accidents almost every month in our country. A few people get killed, many more are hospitalized, a small town is evacuated as toxic fumes leak out from the overturned rail cars.
Please remember, these trains go at 50-80 miles per hour.
Do you believe that we'll be able to produce safe and secure train travel at 200 mph or faster?

Currently a one way ticket on Amtrak goes for about $ 33, from Los Angeles to San Francisco. I figure the high speed would be higher.
Paying a bit more, like $ 45, I can drive the same distance and [I]take three passengers and a dog with me. [/i] Someone with a smaller car can do it for less.
And once you arrive in San Francisco, you can walk, borrow a bicycle, take a taxi, or call uncle Joe for a ride.
California Dreaming - who is going to stop that ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California