Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:01 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times

Advertisements

So, I'm an avid watcher of the housing market in southern California. I plan on purchasing my first home there in the future. But I'm so confused about one issue that has been bothering me.

What I wanted to know was - based off how many illegal immigrants reside in southern California compared to your average legal Californian - how do they afford homes? I don't understand it. Illegal immigrants typically have the lowest paid jobs. How do they afford to pay the mortgage of a house? I have heard some illegals live in very nice houses that are worth 400-500k in different subdivisions. Then with the HOA fees, electricity, gas, etc. Where in the world are they getting this money? Why is it that the average Californian lower to middle class family (with jobs that pay much higher than an illegal immigrant) could never dream of having such a nice and expensive home but these illegal immigrants could easily buy them out and live comfortably amidst the initial cost of the house and the extra fees they have?

EDIT NOTE: I am NOT equating hispanic people with illegal immigrants. What I meant to say was how illegal immigrants own expensive homes in southern California. I thought the hispanic population in So.CAL was majority illegal. It was my mistake and ignorance and I apologize to all hispanic people for my offensive comments.

EDIT NOTE: I edited the entire question because I was severely misunderstood and snipped off the offensive comments. Thank the Lord for C-D's editing timing.

Last edited by allenk893; 11-30-2011 at 10:08 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 09:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
You don't know that any of those homes were owned by illegals. But, if they were, most likely there were a dozen or more people living there.
If 10 of them had minimum wage jobs, that's a monthly income of about $11,000.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:17 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,021,053 times
Countrywide loans.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:21 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times
Firstly you are equating being Hispanic with being illegal.....but the vast majority of Hispanics in California are US citizens. But ignoring that:

1.) Home prices were more affordable 10+ years ago, today's prices weren't yesterdays.
2.) Hispanics often live in larger households than others which allows them to pool their resources together.

But there are plenty of Hispanic families in California that can afford a $500k home...

Last edited by user_id; 11-30-2011 at 09:32 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 09:28 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,933,076 times
I had to read your post about 5 times to fully grasp what you're trying to say. It's apparent you don't live in Southern California. As user_id stated, you're making the assumption that Latino = illegal. If you lived and worked here you'd understand how ignorant (not intended as a personal insult) that statement is.

Obviously is someone is living in a half a million dollar home they're not working the fields picking avocados and getting paid $50/day under the table.

I am white, yet probably half the people I work with are Hispanic/Latino in my job (a quite "white collar" job, mind you). Many have very solid incomes. Many live in Chula Vista. But you don't know this because it's apparent you're not familiar with the demographics of Southern California.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 12-01-2011 at 05:59 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 09:43 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I had to read your post about 5 times to fully grasp what you're trying to say. It's apparent you don't live in Southern California. As user_id stated, you're making the assumption that Latino = illegal. If you lived and worked here you'd understand how ignorant (not intended as a personal insult) that statement is.
I'm not equating hispanic with illegal!! I was under the impression that of the many hispanics that reside in California, more of them were illegal immigrants. I wasn't sure! I am sorry to all the hispanic people I have offended. I truly didn't mean to say such a thing. That's what I thought the situation was. I know there are plenty of legal working class hispanics that own those homes. I simply thought more of the so.Cal population was illegal so I wondered to myself how they afford those expensive homes with low paid jobs. I truly apologize. It was my mistake and ignorance.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:02 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,082,250 times
Either:

a) they bought the place a long time ago when houses weren't as expensive (and probably aren't illegal)

b) they don't own it and are renting it

This goes for literally any ethnic group in coastal California, most people are renters and people who own houses who aren't really rich usually bought them 20+ years ago.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:20 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,234,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You don't know that any of those homes were owned by illegals. But, if they were, most likely there were a dozen or more people living there.
If 10 of them had minimum wage jobs, that's a monthly income of about $11,000.
This.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:27 AM

880 posts, read 1,800,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
So, I'm an avid watcher of the housing market in southern California. I plan on purchasing my first home there in the future. But I'm so confused about one issue that has been bothering me.

What I wanted to know was - based off how many illegal immigrants reside in southern California compared to your average legal Californian - how do they afford homes? I don't understand it. Illegal immigrants typically have the lowest paid jobs. How do they afford to pay the mortgage of a house? I have heard some illegals live in very nice houses that are worth 400-500k in different subdivisions. Then with the HOA fees, electricity, gas, etc. Where in the world are they getting this money? Why is it that the average Californian lower to middle class family (with jobs that pay much higher than an illegal immigrant) could never dream of having such a nice and expensive home but these illegal immigrants could easily buy them out and live comfortably amidst the initial cost of the house and the extra fees they have?

EDIT NOTE: I am NOT equating hispanic people with illegal immigrants. What I meant to say was how illegal immigrants own expensive homes in southern California. I thought the hispanic population in So.CAL was majority illegal. It was my mistake and ignorance and I apologize to all hispanic people for my offensive comments.

EDIT NOTE: I edited the entire question because I was severely misunderstood and snipped off the offensive comments. Thank the Lord for C-D's editing timing.
Some illegals actually do make pretty good money running their own business.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:37 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,467,791 times
No Doc/Stated Income/ Ninja Loans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California