Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 03:30 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Florida has the same thing but if you just sit around in a gated community you wouldn't know it. Go somewhere like Lake Worth in PBC and you'll see families of 10 Guatemalans living in a small 2 bedroom house. Would you assume they own the place?
Actually, I've never lived in a gated community. I have lived close to Lake Worth though. I lived in Boynton Beach at one point. I never actually saw what was going on. I just knew alot of people bunked with each other and paid rent. Like this one nice Mexican lady my mother befriended. She was renting out a room in a house. My mom told me illegal Haitian and Latino immigrants do that alot. But I understand how they do it in FL because FL homes cost much less. A 500k house in southern CA cost about 200-300k in south FL. So I would see how they managed that around here. But I just didn't understand for So.Cal and the cost of living. But the other posters explained it to me already.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:35 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My cousin has a next door neighbor who is of SE Asian heritage. They have 14 people living in a 1500 square foot three bedroom house in Ontario (S. California). There are two teen agers who sleep in a POD in the back yard.

20yrsinBranson
Oh wow. Thanks for revealing that. I understand now how they make it happen. That is crazy though! No illegal immigrant would do that in FL. They would get sick from the rain and there's all kinds of critters running around at night. I guess So.Cal is the picture perfect place for that.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
When I lived in the Mission District in SF, my apartment building was next to a similar building that was full of Mexicans and Salvadoreans. From my window you could see into their rooms. I'm a gringo and I was living in a small room by myself for $600 a month, with three other roommates who had their own rooms down the hall. The Mexican/Salvadorean guys had rooms the same size but with several bunk beds, they'd have like 10 guys in a room the size of mine. They probably make like $5 to $8 an hour under the table at restaurants and send a lot of their money back home. That's how it's done.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:20 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Some yrs back a few illegal mexican families lived next door to me & across the street. They were renters & absolutely the worse. It took the landlords quite awhile to evict them due to non payment of rent & complaints from other neighbors. The hghland, ca police were of no help & didnt care. I have no problem what so ever reporting illegals if they creep into my neighborhood. When alot of illegals occupy a house its called a clown house (according to john & jen of kfi am 640, los angeles).

Old 12-01-2011, 06:08 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
So, I'm an avid watcher of the housing market in southern California.

How many homeowners in California are illegal aliens with no one on the title not being an illegal alien?

They would almost surely have to have a mortgage and would want to deduct interest and have homeowners insurance and pay property taxes, etc. How many illegal aliens would actually be able to do this even if money was not an object?

What would happen if they were caught? What happens to the house? Do they want to take that chance with a $500K home (or a $100K home for that matter)?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
So, I'm an avid watcher of the housing market in southern California. I plan on purchasing my first home there in the future. But I'm so confused about one issue that has been bothering me.

What I wanted to know was - based off how many illegal immigrants reside in southern California compared to your average legal Californian - how do they afford homes? I don't understand it. Illegal immigrants typically have the lowest paid jobs. How do they afford to pay the mortgage of a house? I have heard some illegals live in very nice houses that are worth 400-500k in different subdivisions. Then with the HOA fees, electricity, gas, etc. Where in the world are they getting this money? Why is it that the average Californian lower to middle class family (with jobs that pay much higher than an illegal immigrant) could never dream of having such a nice and expensive home but these illegal immigrants could easily buy them out and live comfortably amidst the initial cost of the house and the extra fees they have?

EDIT NOTE: I am NOT equating hispanic people with illegal immigrants. What I meant to say was how illegal immigrants own expensive homes in southern California. I thought the hispanic population in So.CAL was majority illegal. It was my mistake and ignorance and I apologize to all hispanic people for my offensive comments.

EDIT NOTE: I edited the entire question because I was severely misunderstood and snipped off the offensive comments. Thank the Lord for C-D's editing timing.
Well, some illegals have been here for decades which is long enough to establish a career or build a business and generate a large amount of money. Pay out the right amount of money and one's immigration status will be of little consequence.

[this is America!! money talks!!]

Old 12-01-2011, 08:47 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Quote:
they're not working the fields picking avocados and getting paid $50/day under the table.
I know of no labor contract paying under the table, and I know of no field workers getting paid under the table.

most all field workers have exactly the same documentation. If ICE comes to a labor contractor to check worker papers, all paper work is in order. This is a big business, far to much money is at stake to risk it by hiring workers without documentation or paying them under the table.

Field workers, illegal or legal all have the same FICA SSI Tax etc witholdings.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:43 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I know of no labor contract paying under the table, and I know of no field workers getting paid under the table.

most all field workers have exactly the same documentation. If ICE comes to a labor contractor to check worker papers, all paper work is in order. This is a big business, far to much money is at stake to risk it by hiring workers without documentation or paying them under the table.

Field workers, illegal or legal all have the same FICA SSI Tax etc witholdings.
Understood. Whether or not their getting paid with or without the IRS' knowledge wasn't my point though... they're still not making enough money to allow a mortgage on a 500k home as the OP was stating.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 12-02-2011 at 12:27 AM..

Old 12-02-2011, 12:22 AM

231 posts, read 813,960 times
Quote:
So, I'm an avid watcher of the housing market in southern California. I plan on purchasing my first home there in the future. But I'm so confused about one issue that has been bothering me.

What I wanted to know was - based off how many illegal immigrants reside in southern California compared to your average legal Californian - how do they afford homes? I don't understand it. Illegal immigrants typically have the lowest paid jobs. How do they afford to pay the mortgage of a house? I have heard some illegals live in very nice houses that are worth 400-500k in different subdivisions. Then with the HOA fees, electricity, gas, etc. Where in the world are they getting this money? Why is it that the average Californian lower to middle class family (with jobs that pay much higher than an illegal immigrant) could never dream of having such a nice and expensive home but these illegal immigrants could easily buy them out and live comfortably amidst the initial cost of the house and the extra fees they have?

EDIT NOTE: I am NOT equating hispanic people with illegal immigrants. What I meant to say was how illegal immigrants own expensive homes in southern California. I thought the hispanic population in So.CAL was majority illegal. It was my mistake and ignorance and I apologize to all hispanic people for my offensive comments.

EDIT NOTE: I edited the entire question because I was severely misunderstood and snipped off the offensive comments. Thank the Lord for C-D's editing timing.
dont let the other posters intimidate you. the LARGEST ethnicity/nationality/etc in socal illegally is hispanic/mexican/etc, lets call a spade a spade here

many houses have multiple families living in them, including uncles, aunts, cousins etc.

How do illegals even afford to live in socal on min wage jobs, while others making more struggle? its called subsidies, the US subsidises (spelling police are after me now) the cost for illegals to live in this country, us taxpayers are paying for these kid's breakfast and lunch at school, the parents only need to make enough money to feed there kid one time a day which is dinner (many times they may be receiving other public benefits), while others must make enough to feed their kids three times a day, that is just one example.

I wonder how much more money I would have if I only had to feed myself one time a day

Old 12-02-2011, 12:28 AM

231 posts, read 813,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Some yrs back a few illegal mexican families lived next door to me & across the street. They were renters & absolutely the worse. It took the landlords quite awhile to evict them due to non payment of rent & complaints from other neighbors. The hghland, ca police were of no help & didnt care. I have no problem what so ever reporting illegals if they creep into my neighborhood. When alot of illegals occupy a house its called a clown house (according to john & jen of kfi am 640, los angeles).
the worst thing about a clown house is the non-stop clown music that come from it. yes I am hispanic/mexican/etc and I am allowed to say this , so there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California