Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:32 AM

38,859 posts, read 22,845,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
So wait ... you're going to make a life decision (CA or CO) based on what a teeny number of people say in response to a rather silly post by you ("are there houses with nice wood floors?") on an internet forum?
Is that sane?
Some people are just TOO sensitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 02:58 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,166 times
What are your thoughts on Sonoma?
I lived in the town of Sonoma and also other parts of Sonoma county.
It's a nice area. Sonoma is next to Napa and is part of 'wine country'.
Depending on what area specifically, my answers posted below may vary.
But answers are an overall general response.

How is the Traffic? Not too bad, except on 101 thru Santa Rosa during the day.

Is a lot of crime? Like Carjacking, robberies, gangs? Not near as much as there is in many other places. But overall things are quiet.

What is the weather like? Very nice. Summers are hot, winters are wet. It does not really snow in Sonoma.

What is there to do in the Fall months? Wine tasting, mushroom picking. There is a year round nightlife in the county.

Are there houses that have nice wood floors? Yes, lots of them.

Would I be looked down on if I a Marijuana Legalization Advocate? Not really. California was the first state to vote in medical use. Most people who don't use MJ don't make a stink over it.

Do christians bother people a lot? Nope. Lots of other religions and spritual paths are found here.

What are the Colleges like in Sonoma? UC Sonoma is in Cotati. Have not attended there, but I go to a community college with a UCS program. I like it.
No colleges in the town that I am aware of. Santa Rosa has a junior college and there is a culinary school near by.

What are the women like in this area? What does this question mean exactly?
We are not all tall thin tan blue eyes and blond beach bunnies.
I would figure that we are like women everywhere. We come in all shapes and sizes, some like to be more domestic but most are career oriented. There are good ones and bad ones as well.

Are women easy to get along with? Depends. I would like to think that Yes would be an accurate all encompassing answer. I think that most of us are friendly and all. I think we tend to be more carefree and easygoing than most.

Quote:
Thanks in advance for your help. I am very interested in Cali.
Native Californian here.....and I call it Cali

Old 12-05-2011, 09:32 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,051 times
I didn't waste my time reading the replies since the original post was.....I won't say. MOD CUT From my experience out here its whatever u want it to be. Personally its a big state with lots of nice hiking, mountains, the ocean, the desert, and people living in plush homes on hillsides while many live under bridges. The ones in between struggle to pay a $3000.+ a month mortgage on a tiny bungalow that isn't worth $40,000. But your paying for the land and the right to say "i live in California". 3 months here and I'm about to throw in the towel n consider It a vacation. Good luck.

Last edited by NewToCA; 12-06-2011 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 12-05-2011, 09:47 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I didn't waste my time reading the replies since the original post was.....I won't say. MOD CUT From my experience out here its whatever u want it to be. Personally its a big state with lots of nice hiking, mountains, the ocean, the desert, and people living in plush homes on hillsides while many live under bridges. The ones in between struggle to pay a $3000.+ a month mortgage on a tiny bungalow that isn't worth $40,000. But your paying for the land and the right to say "i live in California". 3 months here and I'm about to throw in the towel n consider It a vacation. Good luck.
It can be a difficult place to be for a whole lot of reasons.
But i hope that you don't become one of those people who tried to live in California and found it wasn't the "right fit" and/or had bad experiences and then hates on California forever.
The world is crazy right now and getting more so and much of CA is manifesting the insanity in a big way.
It's my impression that you are giving up too easily jc76 but who am i to say right?
But you've only been here for a relatively short time it seems.
I just wouldn't want to see you leave with regrets because you got so discouraged and gave up.
On the other hand if you know it's not the place you want to be then it's best to cut your losses and return to Indiana.
I imagine that you may be kind of lonely too?
It's difficult to enter a new culture and have no one to relate to so maybe that's part of it.
If i'm remembering correctly you were the one who had your heart set on California for a long time and you were so enthusiastic about leaving Indiana and coming out to the coast.
Just don't become a cynic about life or about California because they kicked your butt.
It's not easy to do what you've done and to do it alone is really difficult.

Last edited by NewToCA; 12-06-2011 at 07:46 AM..

Old 12-05-2011, 10:48 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Yeah, but I do and I don't even live in CA - yet. Nothing gets the ladies more excited than a true bikini man driving a hybrid while eating an avocado sandwich!
Personally, i eat bikinis and wear avocados. Does wonders for the complexion and everyone needs 25 grams of fiber a day to promote a healthy colon.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:39 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,166 times
$3,000 a month for a $40,000 home is exaggerated. Maybe in some areas and someone who was dumb enough to go with an adjustable loan.

With the right loan, $900 a month for a $110,000 home can be had.

It is a big state. I grew up in the Bay Area, lived in the LA area, the SD area, I've lived as far north as Trinidad which is about an hour from the northern boarder. I have lived in many many places around the state and they are all very different. Even cities and towns next to each other have a distinct difference.
Eureka and Arcata are a good example.

JC76, what are you looking for? What had you hoped to have found by coming here?

Old 12-20-2011, 02:12 PM

39 posts, read 86,316 times
Default wood floors?

I wouldn't base a town with house with wood floors as requisite for moving there. I think practically every town in the nation has a house or 2 with nice wood floors.
Are women easy to get along with?
What kind of a question is that?!!
It depends on how you treat us!!
And IF I were a Christian, I might bother you if kept asking questions like this.

You can find out about the weather, colleges, activities and housing on the Internet.
Good luck!

(you might want to research the economy here or wherever you go,since there are some issues now in CA and other states too)

Old 12-21-2011, 11:37 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post

3. Finally, people here are tired of answering stupid questions about this state. It seems everyone has some TV idea of what California is, without actually knowing. Its not the greatest thing since sliced bread. No, you have to work. No, not everyone wear's bikini's and eats avocado's and bean sprouts.
Indeed. To future OPs re asking the silly and childish questions, GOT GOOGLE?!?!

You know, there are these things call demographic info, economic data and other stats. More than anyone could ever read in a life time.

Thanks for listening.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:18 PM

5 posts, read 5,026 times
If you, like most people, are a cash-basis taxpayer, you can't deduct income you haven't paid taxes on. But if you spend money trying to collect it, such as paying a lawyer, you could treat the legal expense as a miscellaneous deduction. Miscellaneous deductions that exceed 2 percent of adjusted gross income are deductible.
The bigger question: Have you done enough to pursue your pay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California