Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:09 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I disagree. I think Hawaii has perfect weather. Southern California on the other hand does have the most reasonable weather for people like me who hate being too hot, too cold, and humidity.

Until they visit Hawaii. Which is the perfect combination of weather, waves, and Florida-like ocean temps.
Ocean temps in Hawaii are much lower than the Gulf and southern Atlantic coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 09:14 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
I do see people wearing shorts & flip flops during the winter even when its cold. Go figure.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Yes, I agree to a point. I love Hawaii! Hawaii is a close 2nd in my book.

My parents were born and raised there, and 2 of my siblings were born and raised there. I wasn't raised there, but spent much time there in my youth with relatives perfecting my surfing skills, I haven't been back in over 2yrs.

It's a little too humid, the tropical temps, and lack of moderation keep you in that "Hawaiian Time" mode. Not saying that's bad, but Hawaiian Time doesn't jive with mainline time. The sun sets the same time more or less everyday regardless of the season. I like it when the sun sets late in the evening in the summer in higher latitudes. But, I could live there for 3mos every year.
I think you probably didn't notice the day length changes because you didn't live there year round. There's a big difference in day length between summer and winter, because we're pretty far north. Hawaii's tropical, but just barely. The northern tip of Kauai isn't even in the tropics. Hawaii is noticeably cooler in the winter too. Even where I live near the leeward coastline, it goes into the low 60s at night.

I'm from Trinidad, about 10 degrees north of the equator, and day length there really changes little, same temperatures year round too.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:09 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
There's a big difference in day length between summer and winter, because we're pretty far north.

Even where I live near the leeward coastline, it goes into the low 60s at night.

I'm from Trinidad, about 10 degrees north of the equator, and day length there really changes little, same temperatures year round too.
I specifically looked up sunset times the last 2 times I went. Once in Dec and once in June. There was very little difference.

So, low 60's is considered cool at night at the equator?

Old 12-06-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I specifically looked up sunset times the last 2 times I went. Once in Dec and once in June. There was very little difference.

So, low 60's is considered cool at night at the equator?
At the equator at sea level I doubt there's anywhere that it goes below the 70s at night.

On the summer solstice here there's 13:24 sunlight, on the winter solstice only 10:51! 2:33 is a decent difference. Comes out to the sunset varying by 1:17

Old 12-06-2011, 11:03 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,417 times
Quote:
Ocean temps in Hawaii are much lower than the Gulf and southern Atlantic coast.
Hawaii's ocean water temps are much more similar to So.Fla.'s ocean temps than to So.Calif.'s.

Hawaii's Ocean temps are more moderate than So. Fla's.

Honolulu > somewhat warmer in winter than Miami Beach (mid '70's vs. low 70's)
Honolulu < somewhat cooler in summer than Miami Beach (low 80's vs. mid-to-high '80's)

Honolulu Ocean Temps
US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

Miami Beach Ocean Temps
US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

Old 12-06-2011, 11:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I do see people wearing shorts & flip flops during the winter even when its cold. Go figure.
I also see people in hoodies and scarves when its 80 degrees. People are weird.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:08 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I also see people in hoodies and scarves when its 80 degrees. People are weird.
That is true but in So.Calif. there is always a good chance of it cooling off at night where that combination looks less ridiculous than during the middle of a pleasant sunny day!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
That is true but in So.Calif. there is always a good chance of it cooling off at night where that combination looks less ridiculous than during the middle of a pleasant sunny day!
If I'm worried about being out when it cools off, I certainly don't walk around when its hot with a hood over my head. Actually, I hardly ever take a jacket with me in the morning. I can tough it out for 10 minutes at 50 degrees until the car warms up. Then an hour later its over 60 and I don't even need it.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:49 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
At the equator at sea level I doubt there's anywhere that it goes below the 70s at night.

On the summer solstice here there's 13:24 sunlight, on the winter solstice only 10:51! 2:33 is a decent difference. Comes out to the sunset varying by 1:17
Ok, by tropical standards, I guess, 1hr 17mins is a big difference.

Summer Sunset in July: Honolulu 7:15pm, Sacramento 8:45pm, Paris 10pm

When you are used to sun setting at 9-10pm, the early summer sunset in Hawaii is quite noticeable to someone from northern latitudes.

Twilight is the amount of light still visible after sunset or before sunrise. For example, here in SAC at the summer solstice, the sun will set around 8:45pm but there is still light in the sky for another 1 1/2 hrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California