Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:47 PM

104 posts, read 310,631 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about Calabasas?

Also, what would the commute be to downtown LA, near Dodgers Stadium? Mapquest says 26 miles and 31 minutes - I know the minutes are not accurate. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 08:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen38 View Post

Also, what would the commute be to downtown LA, near Dodgers Stadium? Mapquest says 26 miles and 31 minutes - I know the minutes are not accurate. Anyone?
Actually, Mapquest is perfectly correct - if you are commuting at 2AM.

Add up to an hour one way if leaving Calabasas from 7AM through 10AM.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:03 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Does anyone have a clue how Google arrives at their "with traffic" travel times? I ran one from the Irvine Spectrum to Fountain Valley and it said up to 31 minutes with traffic. Try 60-75 minutes between 4-7pm.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:14 PM

Does that mean add an hour to the already 31 minutes to be 1 1/2 hour commute or one hour total one way?

Old 08-30-2007, 01:15 PM

Is there public transportation for those areas? Rail system? Is it safe? Would it be quicker?
Sorry so many questions.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:31 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,559 times
Quote:

Mapquest times are for a helicopter

I would say that 101 from Las Virgenes exit to 110 intersection is an hour. I don't travel north on 110 often, and Chavez Ravine is another few miles up that.
If you're just using Dodger Stadium as a reference, and you mean 110 south, exiting Olympic or somewhere about there, that's definitely an hour + 15-20 minutes give/take from Calabasas.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:53 PM

That kinda sucks.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:10 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
That kinda sucks.
Why don't you just live near Dodger Stadium?

Old 08-31-2007, 06:55 AM

Default "Peyton Place" neighborhood in LA?

I looked on a map and researched 45 cities around that area for the highest rated schools. The areas that had the most schools ranked as a 10 and had CA test scores in the 900's were Santa Monica, Calabasas, Manhattan Beach and La Canada. Also, I looked at what % of the students speak English because we have lived in two states where the school district was behind neighboring districts due to the teachers having to go slower because their were alot of students that English was their second language. Our company can transfer us at any time so we really need to make sure our kids will be at the same level or close if we are transferred and they have to be put in a new school again. It gets really tough when you are looking at such a sprawled out city like LA. Minnesota was a lot easier!

Why in your opinion would Calabasas be less expensive? Is it because of the commute or do you think it has anything to do with Countrywide Financial possible going through some big layoffs? Will my husband be like Michael Douglas in that movie ? if he does that commute daily?

What kind of lives do families live? Here, all of the kids in the neighborhood run around in the cul-de-sac playing tag, football etc.. If you drive down our street you see bikes, basketball nets, riding toys, swingsets and kids all over the place during the day in the summer or on weekends during school. We constantly have our neighbors just stopping by to swim when we are in the pool. It's not like people need to be invited, we just kind of walk in to each other's houses. We'll get together in the cul-de-sac for some wine on Friday nights and watch the kids play...Does this exist in communities around LA or are people just so busy they don't have time for the winding down and just enjoy their family and friends? This is the best place we have lived, its going to be really tough to move. I don't just want a pretty house, the community is much more important.

Ok, I've rambled enough. If anyone has any insight to help me find "Peyton Place" in LA, I'm all ears!
Thanks!

Old 08-31-2007, 07:02 AM

473 posts, read 2,754,115 times
why would you want to leave that kind of community? it's really hard to find a community like that in CA, people tend to be kinda guarded and to themselves. thats why my wife daughter and i moved out of socal, to upstate ny. with the cost of living the way of life was just working crazy hours, to pay for everything..and only having family/leisure time a couple hours a day. We wanted to have more time for each other, so we left the hustle and bustle.

It's a sad thing that you have to leave such a great sounding community..i take it you HAVE to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California