Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 03:28 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,128,158 times

Advertisements

You might be interested to know that much of "California" portrayed in movies and on TV is really ... drumroll ... Canada! More specifically, British Columbia. Have you ever seen the old TV show "Macgyver"? (Probably not, it's a bit before your time.) Anyway, it was always implied that the location is Los Angeles, but a trained Californian eye quickly noted incongruities, like pines persistently popping up in the background, and, sometimes, even SNOW ... because the show was really filmed in Vancouver.

Movies get away with this illusion even easier. Do you recall seeing California in any of the installments of "X-Men", or any one of the "Scary Movie"s? No, you don't: all these were filmed in Canada. Producers always make sure to put California license plates on all cars, but often you can still tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 04:15 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,402,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
You might be interested to know that much of "California" portrayed in movies and on TV is really ... drumroll ... Canada! More specifically, British Columbia. Have you ever seen the old TV show "Macgyver"? (Probably not, it's a bit before your time.) Anyway, it was always implied that the location is Los Angeles, but a trained Californian eye quickly noted incongruities, like pines persistently popping up in the background, and, sometimes, even SNOW ... because the show was really filmed in Vancouver.

Movies get away with this illusion even easier. Do you recall seeing California in any of the installments of "X-Men", or any one of the "Scary Movie"s? No, you don't: all these were filmed in Canada. Producers always make sure to put California license plates on all cars, but often you can still tell.
One that bothers me is Psych. It's supposed to be Santa Barbara but the forest locations they use are moist and full of tall pines, because it's filmed in Vancouver.

I for one love semiarid climates, and I like seeing rural southern California in Rockford Files.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:12 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,682,781 times
Very little of California actually looks like what movies/TV present as 'California'.
It's still an amazing place, but 90210 is a very small part of it.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:00 PM

113 posts, read 250,912 times
csu chico comes up on my searches. I am not familiar with that school personally, but you should research it.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:42 AM

8 posts, read 12,625 times
Haha the title was a joke but thanks so much for all the input, to be honest Chico was the first school my dad suggested and it was me to suggest HSU. I will be sure to apply at both (:

Old 12-17-2011, 02:33 AM

30,852 posts, read 36,738,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy119 View Post
Haha yeah but in Eureka the winter low is 0, here it gets to -16 sometimes! (Not sure what that is in Farenheit, but there ya go) the grass is indeed always greener...having lived in the PacNW my entire life even the Eureka rains seem tropical to me. *according to wiki

EDIT: I'm looking into East Bay colleges now and hoping to work my way up from there :3
0C = 32F

Eureka typically has 5 days per year where the temperature drops below freezing.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootad View Post
Agree with the above, except the "cold" part. For a Canadian, Davis CA (and probably 90% of CA) will be positively tropical yes, even in the winter. Average highs in the mid to upper 50s in December and January. Granted it does get into the 30s at night, but compared to Canada, that's nothing. Even LA/San Diego often gets into the upper 30s at night in winter months.
Not to quibble, but the highs in Davis in Winter are more like low to mid 50s, not mid to upper 50s.

DAVIS 1 WSW, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

But I'm sure that's still good by Canadian standards.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy119 View Post
As for areas of study I'm rather interested in journalism..x
Uh-oh. Now I'm worried. They are getting rid of journalists right and left. Even before the mass layoffs, it was always a hyper-competitive low paying field. Now, even more so.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:23 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,938,886 times
The weather is awesome here in southern California, however in the rare instances that it's gray and overcast (which is sometimes is), it gets really depressing. Much more than it did back in the northeast.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:48 AM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
The weather is awesome here in southern California, however in the rare instances that it's gray and overcast (which is sometimes is), it gets really depressing. Much more than it did back in the northeast.
The last two years haven't been normal. Not at all. I remember one year the Super Bowl here was near 100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California