Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 04:10 PM

276 posts, read 774,192 times

Advertisements

Torrance, Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 08:01 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I've just started to do a little research on the Arroyo Grande / Grover Beach area. It seems like a nice location and the housing prices are decent for a CA beach community. It may be smaller than you'd like but it's 15 miles to San Luis Obispo and 15 miles to Santa Maria. Not super close to a major airport, though. You may also wish to consider the Monterey Bay area.
Arroyo Grande and Grover City are very different. Basically, no one who can afford to buy in Arroyo Grande would buy in Grover City. Grover is still in search of itself.

Both San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria have numerous flights out of their commercial airports.

Schools in Arroyo Grande are excellent, schools in Grover struggle, but everyone goes to Arroyo Grande High School which again, is excellent.

My advice to parents is to buy a home on 1 to 5 acres (no one ever listens to me, but) the house is not so important, a piece of land for horse, chickens, a good garden, will help your kids grow up as well grounded kids (not sure if that is a pun or not)

Old 12-16-2011, 09:33 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I've just started to do a little research on the Arroyo Grande / Grover Beach area. It seems like a nice location and the housing prices are decent for a CA beach community.
The prices are decent because its basically in the middle of no-where........actually its a wonder the prices are as high as they are...

Anyhow $400k for the coast? Not going to happen while still being close to civilization.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The prices are decent because its basically in the middle of no-where........actually its a wonder the prices are as high as they are...

Anyhow $400k for the coast? Not going to happen while still being close to civilization.
This post shows how much some people don't know. It is ironic that a denizen of the megslobopolis that is SoCal, would find a town set in the midst of some of the most beautiful land and seascapes in the country would be "in the middle of no-where".

In truth, nowhere begins at the top of the Conejo Grade, and extends clear to the Mexican border.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:39 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Imo i think you & your family may like the Monterey area.

Monterey CA - Google Search

Old 12-17-2011, 10:33 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Imo i think you & your family may like the Monterey area.

Monterey CA - Google Search
Yep, I agree with Hawk J. Monterey, Carmel and Pacific Grove communities are really nice. And its only an hour to San Jose when you a large city. You will need to go up a bit in your budget. You could look at homes in Las Palmas, Indian Springs communities off River Rd. There are some good deals there now.

I also like San Luis Obispo area. You can find better priced homes in nearby beach towns such as Los Osos.

Santa Barbara while nice is probably the most expensive. Ventura is a bit more affordable to the south and still pretty decent.

The South Bay is the best beach community (Hermosa, Manhattan, Torrance, Redondo, Palos Verdes) in LA County IMO. Torrance has the best bang for the buck in terms of housing with great schools.

For Orange County South County is really nice near Mission Viejo, Las Flores, Laguna Niguel.

In San Diego check out North County - Encinitas, Cardiff, etc...

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-17-2011 at 10:52 AM..

Old 12-17-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
It is ironic that a denizen of the megslobopolis that is SoCal, would find a town set in the midst of some of the most beautiful land and seascapes in the country would be "in the middle of no-where".
Umm....no its not... The landscape had nothing to do with my comment, you are just so narrowly focused on your own personal preferences you've apparently forgotten that others have different preferences.

Its all nice that you like to live in semi-rural areas and play Rancher, but that isn't something that interests many people. The fact that you feel the need to continuously deride anybody that lives in a city is just a demonstration of your myopia....

So, to say it again, any coastal area close to civilization (i.e., the major urban areas) is going to be much more than $400k. You only find cheaper coastal real state in semi-rural areas with few opportunities....areas like Arroyo Grande.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:39 PM

You may call miles and miles and miles of Concrete and asphalt civilization, but in truth, it is only a denial of civilization.

civ·i·li·za·tion/ˌsivələˈzāSHən/
Noun:
The most advanced stage of human social development and organization.

Since the highest level of civilization ever reached upon this planet was the Californio Ranchero Culture, anything that approximates that, is civilization, and miles and miles and miles of concrete and asphalt just don't cut it.

SoCal is much closer to "too many rats in a maze" and the attendant psychological problems than to any higher level of civilization.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
You may call miles and miles and miles of Concrete and asphalt civilization, but in truth, it is only a denial of civilization.
Umm...no, instead this is just another one of your lame attempts to deride urban areas. Where you see "miles and miles of concrete" others see value.

But its fine, I get it, you're too stuck in your own world view to see what others value about urban areas.

Your comments about Southern California are again just lame attempts at derision, Southern California is composed of urban, suburban and rural areas. Its not one big homogeneous area......Why all the derision though? Why can't you be happy with your life choices while letting others that pick urban areas be happy with theirs? Let me guess, because you've deluded yourself into think your choices are some how the "correct" ones?

So back to the point. The only coastal areas in California that are "affordable" are ones that are "in the middle of nowhere", that is, not near major metro areas. Anyhow, at least in Southern California, Venture and the beach cities in South Orange County and North San Diego county provide the best "value" in terms of costs and proximity to urban areas.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:24 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiPark View Post
I currently live in CT and my husband and I are looking to move to southern California. I am an ER physician and my husband is a pediatrician. We have a son MOD CUT who is 3, and another child on the way in late May.

What are some nice towns/cities along the beach?

Our budget would be 415,00 but if we had to we could go higher. Also for jobs, i would commute 30 min or something, but I would rather not seeing i have a small son and soon small daughter/son. My husband could also do that, but not too far away as well. Obviously the town should be semi close to a hospital.

-Good schools
-Not huge population but definitely not small
-Has good selection of restaurants and shops/downtown area
-Beach

I hope this isnt too picky
thanks
MY Daughter lives in Oxnard, and we go visit downtown Ventura when I am there, love it!! If would check out Santa Barbara area, glorious. The thing is there are so many wonderful, beautiful areas...I would rent/lease in a nice area first. I really enjoy Santa Barbara, and several areas near there. Then check out areas that you like. Do lots of research on neighborhoods, to avoid bad areas. City Data home page has great city info., crime stats, culture info, hospital, business etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California