Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 12:17 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times

Advertisements

[quote=nmnita;28030571]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

yep, that is what you get from watching too much TV. Some dreamers do have a little sense, and a little knowledge, but many have neither....
As long as we are sharing some music I shall share some Supertramp.

Roger Hodgson (Supertramp) - Dreamer - Royal Albert Hall - YouTube

I think ol Roger probably started with a dream to be a rock star, and made it come through somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 12:35 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
[quote=Curmudgeon;28027587]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Good luck, you obviously didn't notice the posting date of the Ops entre: it has been well over a year ago. I certainly am guessing she has made a decision by now and I would guess she didn't go to Califorina, If she did she would most likely have either returned to Iowa or is living on the street.

Sometimes I wonder why these old threads pop back up and sometimes I answer them without even noticing the original date...I do wish when people start a post, they would come back and let us know how things worked out...[/QUOTE]

That would be helpful, wouldn't it? One theme that seems to run through so many of these "California Dreaming" type posts is that the person appears to be more moving away FROM something than they are moving TO something. It could be family drama, a lousy job, a failed relationship, lost opportunities at home, increasing crime, repressive government, you name it. I think that's a recipe for disaster because wherever you move, you take yourself and your issues along and there you are. Add sketchy finances, if any at all, and you're just jumping from the frying pan into the fire. A major move like so many seem to want to make should be a joyful experience and grand adventure, not a tenuous, uncertain and somewhat scary "maybe."
I do agree with you there. I guess I am one of those people moving across the country to California, but I do understand that you take your problems with you.

But I am really moving to improve my life. But you definitely need enough money to last you. Certainly not a good choice to move to CA on a whim.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:06 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I do agree with you there. I guess I am one of those people moving across the country to California, but I do understand that you take your problems with you.

But I am really moving to improve my life. But you definitely need enough money to last you. Certainly not a good choice to move to CA on a whim.
If you really plan and finance it right it's a grand place for adventure and opportunity.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 01-31-2013 at 02:15 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 01:27 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If you really plan and finance it right it's a gand place for adventure and opportunity.
Yup, I have enough saved to last me for a good while. I could have been in California a year ago, but I wanted to do it right. Less than 3 weeks to go and I am there.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogomez66 View Post
i am a single mother with 2 boys and i want to move to california i now live in iowa theres nothing to do here im stuck with drama i was born n raised here just want to move with my taxes i shld be gettn arnd 8g's with that money i want to put down on a apt in california but dont know where is a good place to start, my son also has asthma... i have 1 friend over in desert hot springs not sure if that would be a good place to go or if someone can guide me to a safe place ? i now work with insurance (agent ) so ill be looking for work something like that if possible ...im paying now close to $1000.oo a mth for bills now and shelter so i just dont know where to start im googling places n apts
Well shoot. Guess I can address OP.

How bad is sons asthma and does he also have any allergies?

Do you wish to live near the coast, and if so S CA, SF or central coast or hippieville ()? or what are your preferences besides "relatively cheap"? " relatively cheap" I can do in central valley, but your son might not breathe so well. So I gotta know how bad off your son is.

Are you licensed in your state as an agent? What type insurance ya selling?

Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,973 times
Quote:
Good luck, you obviously didn't notice the posting date of the Ops entre: it has been well over a year ago. I certainly am guessing she has made a decision by now and I would guess she didn't go to Califorina, If she did she would most likely have either returned to Iowa or is living on the street.

Sometimes I wonder why these old threads pop back up and sometimes I answer them without even noticing the original date...I do wish when people start a post, they would come back and let us know how things worked out...
Quote:

Sometimes I wonder why these old threads pop back up and sometimes I answer them without even noticing the original date...I do wish when people start a post, they would come back and let us know how things worked out...
I did notice nmnita, that's why I said "is/was" and "had". I agree with the idea that it would be very intersting if OP's would touch base now and then and let us know how things went or are going. Someday somebody will figure out how to make that option attractive and people will do it.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,137 times
commiefornia is not the answer to everyones problems. not being rude but i'll lay it out like this. you say you have problems well who don't have problems we all do. now what happens when you get drunk to get over your problems sure there gone for a while but what happens when the buzz wears off all your problems are right back in front of you. you really need to do some research google is a persons best friend. i would suggest that you visit first and feel things out before just up rooting you and your kids and per say that your money runs out and you and your kids are homeless as i would hate to see you in that situation. id'e suggest that you visit first weather it be with friends or a motel try to land a job and an apt before just picking up and leaving and getting the bomb dropped on you. a 2 bedroom apt in the ghetto will run you about 1300 a month your car insurance will probily go up and you will have to smog that car as well and if it don't pass then you'll need to fix it. not to mention your utilites your eletric bill will be murder in summer from running the ac when its 110 out. not to mention theres people out here with college degrees flipping burgers for minimum wage!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
commiefornia is not the answer to everyones problems. not being rude but i'll lay it out like this. you say you have problems well who don't have problems we all do. now what happens when you get drunk to get over your problems sure there gone for a while but what happens when the buzz wears off all your problems are right back in front of you. you really need to do some research google is a persons best friend. i would suggest that you visit first and feel things out before just up rooting you and your kids and per say that your money runs out and you and your kids are homeless as i would hate to see you in that situation. id'e suggest that you visit first weather it be with friends or a motel try to land a job and an apt before just picking up and leaving and getting the bomb dropped on you. a 2 bedroom apt in the ghetto will run you about 1300 a month your car insurance will probily go up and you will have to smog that car as well and if it don't pass then you'll need to fix it. not to mention your utilites your eletric bill will be murder in summer from running the ac when its 110 out. not to mention theres people out here with college degrees flipping burgers for minimum wage!
Grammar is handy too.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Grammar is handy too.
As are capitalization and punctuation.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
Someone not like California much? You paint a very inaccurate picture of the state. And What does getting drunk to avoid your problems have to do with it?
$1300 a month rent will get you other things besides an apartment in the ghetto. I pay that for a 3 bedroom house on the outskirts of town. It's a big house and a nice house. We also do not have an AC. Most of California does not get to 110 day after day through the whole summer. LA will have it's hot spells (as does several locations in CA), temps average about 105 during a heatwave. But it's never over 100 through the whole summer. There is a town in CA that the yearly temp- all year long, is 64 degrees. Also- tell me a state that does not have college grads flipping burgers, especially in these times.- And some fastfood places offer more than minimum wage. Apparently, one must have a high school diploma to work at McDonalds.
* You got the car part right- it's better sometimes to sell an out of state car and buy one in CA than to go through the hoops to register in CA. However, if one is coming from a state that also requires smog inspection, the car could pass. Without needing to repair, the cost to transfer registration in CA is considered expensive for some. That's something to look into if moving here from out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California