Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which California region(s) should have sub-forum(s)?
Oakland/East Bay (including Solano, Contra Costa, Alameda Counties) 7 24.14%
Fresno, Clovis (Fresno County) 5 17.24%
Bakersfield (Kern County) 4 13.79%
Stockton, Tracy, Lodi (San Joaquin County) 3 10.34%
Central Valley COMBINED (incl. Bakersfield, Visalia, Porterville, Fresno, Stockton) 11 37.93%
Santa Barbara, Santa Maria (Santa Barbara County) 3 10.34%
San Luis Obispo (San Luis Obispo County) 1 3.45%
Monterey, Salinas (Monterey County) 1 3.45%
Central Coast COMBINED (SB, SLO and Monterey Counties) 6 20.69%
Other region (please indicate) 2 6.90%
We have friggin' enough, already! 7 24.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 01:23 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times

Advertisements

The ones we currently have are: L.A., Orange Co., San Diego, Inland Empire, Ventura County, San Francisco, San Jose, and, last but not least, Sacramento.

My thoughts: (1) Separate Oakland/East Bay from San Francisco. Create new forums for (2) Fresno and (3) Bakersfield b/c they are medium-sized metro regions in their own right and, let's face it, if VC and SJ can have their own forums, then there's NO reason these two cities shouldn't.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 01:30 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times
· Sacramento
· San Francisco
· Los Angeles
· San Diego
· California Suburbs
» » Stockton · Fresno · Bakersfield · San Jose · Modesto

Old 12-22-2011, 01:37 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
· Sacramento
· San Francisco
· Los Angeles
· San Diego
· California Suburbs
» » Stockton · Fresno · Bakersfield · San Jose · Modesto
I understand your case for the very latter. The only reason I advocated one each for Fresno and Bak. is b/c there have been enough questions on the fora about those cities. Besides, have you seen the SJ and VC forums lately? Deader than doorknobs.

What do you mean by "California Suburbs?"

Old 12-22-2011, 02:29 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,110 times
I've always felt that there should be one for Oakland/East Bay. It's a very different place than San Francisco and the peninsula, and has it's own identity/lifestyle.

Perhaps Fresno needs one as well. Maybe you can split one between all the central valley cities like Stockton/Fresno/Modesto/Bakersfield. Just make it one big Central Valley forum.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:30 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
We can do all of the polling we want, but it all depends on whether the number of posts and threads in the database meet the Administrator's threshold, and whether the continuing activity would make it worthwhile. These super-secret criteria are known only to the Administrator, however, I think there needs to be about 200 threads already existing.

Regarding an Oakland/East Bay forum. The argument has always been should there be 3 San Francisco Bay Area forums (SF, SJ, OAK), or just one, all encompassing SF forum. The Administrator conducted a poll on the topic about 2 years ago, and the results were so evenly divided between 1 and 3 he decided to do nothing, and we have 2.

As for Bakersfield, Fresno, and Stockton forums, using the search function, there doesn't seem to be sufficient volume to justify them. Though if they were in their separate forums, I wonder if they would generate more activity.

Personally, I kind of like the idea of doing a Central Valley, or San Joaquin Valley forum in preparation for later dividing it up into its component parts when the volume justifies it. But remember, forums are created not based on the number of people that live in a metro area, but on the number of posters who write about it.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:57 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times
What kettlepot said.

The Ventura County forum was formed when I started coming to this site, the inquiry was made on how to have its own forum, by the number of threads about that area/region. Anyway, I forget who but I saw the California forum pretty much being spammed by one member of things related to the county, which by the way were ridiculous; just one CD member ... spamming.

Central Valley and Central Coast should be added for now and then if any other regions become more popular.

San Jose should be taken out and added to the SF Bay Area. Ventura County should be taken out. I thought O.C. forum was slow but those two are even more so.

Florida has 14 sub-forums? Anyone familiar with Florida who can attest to those areas being popular? I somehow doubt it.

Last edited by BVitamin; 12-22-2011 at 09:06 AM..

Old 12-22-2011, 10:36 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Please DON'T balkanize the Bay Area more than it already is.

San Jose Forum - what a bad idea. One of the deadest forums we have. We don't need no stinkin' East Bay forum!

Old 12-22-2011, 10:37 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
I've always felt that there should be one for Oakland/East Bay. It's a very different place than San Francisco and the peninsula, and has it's own identity/lifestyle.
Brooklyn has identity and lifestyle differences with Manhattan as well.

This balkanization is stupid,.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:30 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Please DON'T balkanize the Bay Area more than it already is.

San Jose Forum - what a bad idea. One of the deadest forums we have. We don't need no stinkin' East Bay forum!
We could consolidate San Jose and central valley towns in the Suburbs forum.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:50 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Right off the bat I note you have ignored Arvin -- again

I would also nominate Crescent City -- because they are very lonely and that's not nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California