Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 03:13 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,406,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Well nothing personal, bubba, but I am guessing you haven't lived in wheat and snow. (Yep, I sure have ... I include Minnesota, Michigan, and Maine in my past -- among other states.) You are welcome to it, of course.

The "juicy" parts of California haven't changed much over the years ... and will remain. What changed was: an inflated housing market crashed, nationally, and hit California hard -- as it did many other places. As this correction stabilizes, California will reassert its place as the most remarkably desirable 163,696 sq mi on the planet, with people knocking themselves out trying to figure out how to be among the lucky who live here.

California didn't become what it was for no reason ... and all those reasons are still in place -- with a lot of empty (and silly) houses now to fill back up.
The way I see it, all of America is screwed if we don't start manufacturing again. So are Japan, Taiwan, and Korea. They're all offshoring manufacturing to China to save a few cents just like we are. I remember the good old days when electronics were "Made in Japan" and "Made in Taiwan". Cubicle farms full of nerds "engineering" things is good, but that's a very limited number of jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 03:16 AM

BTW, this is relevant:

AMERICA - Ventura Highway - YouTube

Tell me, how long you gonna stay here Joe?
Some people say this town don't look
Good in snow

Old 12-26-2011, 06:50 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,210,231 times
California has a bright future ahead, it's location is directory opposite of Asia (where all the growth is happening), it's desirable, people actually want to live here, good climate, very multi-cultural, it has vast space and good housing..

Look at companies recentley moving their operations here; Toyota moving global operations to California, Lexus also doing same thing.. USA is the worlds largest consumer market and many corporations from Asia and Europe (specifically Japan, Germany, China, S.Korea) will be moving their global operations into California since from here they will have a better control of the largest market (U.S) and the global market..

It's a trend that will take place, trust me..

Old 12-26-2011, 05:51 PM

1,994 posts, read 4,845,829 times
I'm very optimistic too about California's Future,but their are always gonna be others that even if California were laying Golden Eggs every day,they will try to find some flaw with those Golden Eggs.

In my opinion some people just truly hate California to the point where they will find nothing positive about the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
California has a bright future ahead, it's location is directory opposite of Asia (where all the growth is happening), it's desirable, people actually want to live here, good climate, very multi-cultural, it has vast space and good housing..

Look at companies recentley moving their operations here; Toyota moving global operations to California, Lexus also doing same thing.. USA is the worlds largest consumer market and many corporations from Asia and Europe (specifically Japan, Germany, China, S.Korea) will be moving their global operations into California since from here they will have a better control of the largest market (U.S) and the global market..

It's a trend that will take place, trust me..

Old 12-27-2011, 12:15 AM

31 posts, read 55,720 times
Default Deversified California

[quote=Fargobound;22267983]I think you need to look at the bigger picture of what you’ve listed. If anything what you’ve listed could by called corporate monoculture.

I have! Here is the scoop:

It is common knowledge that 21st century is going to be lot different than the 20th. We are already on our way to a paradigm shift in many areas of our lives and the environment, due to the impact of revolutionary advanced new technologies. Only the countries that are in the dominant roles in these emerging technologies will become or retain their Economic and military Supremacy. That's where it is going. China knows it, and is putting all their chips in that direction. Among these technologies are 1) Robotics/AI, 2) Alternate Energy/CleanTech, 3)Nano Technology, 4)Space related tech, 5)Biotech, 6) IT and other technologies that are in the budding stage now.

California is by far a leader in most of these technologies, not just in the USA, but in some cases in the world. California already dominates in the Agri. business, couple that with the above, and imagine it's economic future in the 21st century.

Yes, these areas will require new education/training and will be different than what most people are used to, but that will all change over time. Most of the high value manufacturing are still done in the USA, only in some cases they are done near their markets. Most of the above mentioned technology products, other than IT and maybe solar, are categorized as high value manufacturing.

I encourage you to read a book by Ray Kurzweil called 'Singularity is near',
if you haven't already, I promise it will blow your mind away. It's mind bogling what is coming in the next 20-30 years. California will be the epicenter of all those technology revolutions.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:55 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,841,672 times
[quote=technocrat;22279217]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I think you need to look at the bigger picture of what you’ve listed. If anything what you’ve listed could by called corporate monoculture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by technocrat View Post
I have! Here is the scoop:

It is common knowledge that 21st century is going to be lot different than the 20th. We are already on our way to a paradigm shift in many areas of our lives and the environment, due to the impact of revolutionary advanced new technologies. Only the countries that are in the dominant roles in these emerging technologies will become or retain their Economic and military Supremacy. That's where it is going. China knows it, and is putting all their chips in that direction. Among these technologies are 1) Robotics/AI, 2) Alternate Energy/CleanTech, 3)Nano Technology, 4)Space related tech, 5)Biotech, 6) IT and other technologies that are in the budding stage now.

California is by far a leader in most of these technologies, not just in the USA, but in some cases in the world. California already dominates in the Agri. business, couple that with the above, and imagine it's economic future in the 21st century.

Yes, these areas will require new education/training and will be different than what most people are used to, but that will all change over time. Most of the high value manufacturing are still done in the USA, only in some cases they are done near their markets. Most of the above mentioned technology products, other than IT and maybe solar, are categorized as high value manufacturing.

I encourage you to read a book by Ray Kurzweil called 'Singularity is near',
if you haven't already, I promise it will blow your mind away. It's mind bogling what is coming in the next 20-30 years. California will be the epicenter of all those technology revolutions.
There is substantial possibility what you write will come into focus ... it is not a bit clear whether the Singularity is the future, however. It may be. And we could have a really long discussion about it, but I don't care to. All I will say is: I certainly hope not. I find it sad indeed that the imperfect nature of human beings is obsessed with attaining an undefined perfection -- based on "more" ... more stuff, more energy, more leisure, more pleasure, more knowledge, -- rather than deeper wisdom. Mankind desires to control the stars when he can't even control his simplest, daily, oft times self-destructive cravings. Mankind hasn't a clue what to do with the Singularity, how to control it, or why it would be better than the present -- if it could be.

Just totally mad with desire are we. Like cancer cells.
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell" -- Edward Abbey
If you have not experienced loved ones dying in your arms from cancer, you likely cannot appreciate the horrors and sadness of mad growth.

Last edited by nullgeo; 12-27-2011 at 01:04 AM..

Old 12-27-2011, 12:59 AM

30,856 posts, read 36,760,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
, it has vast space and good housing..
Despite many who scream about overpopulation, it's generally true that California has a lot of space. However, the desireable coastal areas really don't have that much space. And the people on the coast generally have an anti-growth attitude. That means people of average, and even above average means are priced out of the housing market. This significantly reduces both population and economic growth. As the recent 2010 census indicates, California isn't a fast growing state any more. It grows at about the same rate as the US as a whole.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:10 AM

Texas cities are very pro growth except Austin.

Ever notice how every Texas city except Austin sucks? Ever heard of a Californian WANTING to move to Dallas or Houston?

Old 12-27-2011, 02:25 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,084,975 times
Has anyone noticed when people launch into a personal public relations campaign about California everything that is vital is left out?
Nobody wants to talk about the state budget, credit rating, dysfunctional school systems, excessive regulation, or an unstable tax base. I often wonder what the quality of life looks like in California in the coming decades because something has got to give. it should be an interesting election next year in this state.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:37 AM

30,856 posts, read 36,760,641 times
[quote=nullgeo;22279428]
Quote:
Originally Posted by technocrat View Post
All I will say is: I certainly hope not. I find it sad indeed that the imperfect nature of human beings is obsessed with attaining an undefined perfection -- based on "more" ... more stuff, more energy, more leisure, more pleasure, more knowledge, -- rather than deeper wisdom. Mankind desires to control the stars when he can't even control his simplest, daily, oft times self-destructive cravings. Mankind hasn't a clue what to do with the Singularity, how to control it, or why it would be better than the present -- if it could be.
Excellent point. The Buddhists say the same thing about the human obsession with more, more, more. They even use the same words as you. They talk a lot about the need to tame our 'craving'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California