Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:09 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Thanks for the good news there don.. good to see. But you aren't leaving, are you not profitable?

California is not sinking. Why just the other day I was out in the wilderness on my faithful pony, and it all looked fine to me.

The more companies and people that leave the state, the better for those of us who are happy here. The big question is how do we reclaim all that concrete and asphalt, turn it into something productive like grasslands and forests?
Actually, nature can reclaim concrete in a few hundred years and asphalt sooner. Asphalt is organic and deteriorates fairly quickly. Metals corrode fast. Wildlife will move in and reclaim the areas vacated by the exiting horde.
One example are empty military bases. The wood buildings settle back into the ground and vegetation sprouts everywhere.

There was a Series on the History Channel of what takes place after Man.
Pretty amazing how the environment reverts. Now if more pesky people would get in their hummers and leave!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 07:54 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Just go by the following rule of thumb, Curmy: I'm always right, everyone else is wrong.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:59 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Actually, nature can reclaim concrete in a few hundred years and asphalt sooner. Asphalt is organic and deteriorates fairly quickly. Metals corrode fast. Wildlife will move in and reclaim the areas vacated by the exiting horde.
One example are empty military bases. The wood buildings settle back into the ground and vegetation sprouts everywhere.

There was a Series on the History Channel of what takes place after Man.
Pretty amazing how the environment reverts. Now if more pesky people would get in their hummers and leave!
I thought of that, we just need lots of steroid like material, Maybe Potassium Permanganate .

Hummers are a great idea, with chains they are powerful enough to haul some building fragments to Arizona.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:06 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,685 times
Quote:
But they are not, it is one continuous expanse of Asphalt and Concrete from At least San Fernando to Camp Pendleton. It makes no difference what people think, geography is geography.

Remember when you could drive from Disney Land to Los Angeles and see Orange orchards along the way, there was that strange wall of Egyptian stuff along the East side of the freeway, no mas.
Oh ... Asphalt makes it so well by that thinking the who east coast is one Metro area

Old 12-26-2011, 08:22 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Oh ... Asphalt makes it so well by that thinking the who east coast is one Metro area
Well, that is a gross exaggeration, Don ... and yet, as one who grew up back on the east coast, I understand the sentiment. The "L.A." region youse guys are snarking about, however, IS much more the asphalt continuum. But large stretches of the east also qualify.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:22 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Now you are getting it!! Well not, the metro areas of the east are distinct, separated by protected farmlands and small towns.

I recently drove to San Diego, 101, we hit solid development at the top of Conejo Grade, a few scattered pieces of open land to Calabasas, then solid asphalt and concrete to well south of John Wayne Airport, there was a clear hill south of there, but not much open land, then it closed in again to San Juan Capistrano Finally at the border of Camp Pendleton, open land.

I am filled with a great sadness when I make that drive or I5 south, or the 10 east out through San Berdoo..

I just wonder, what happened to America, what happened to Americans that they can live in prison, hemmed in on all sides by concrete, asphalt, roads, freeways, people, millions upon millions of people.

That is just no way to live, and I am appalled that anyone could do so.

I admit, I am in the minority, as are America's ranchers, farmers, loggers, cowboys, those who make their living, not on the land, but of the land.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
You're an interesting guy, Don9 ... you say you are an aerospace engineer? -- yet you don't pay attention to details nor sources at all well ... nor do you think analytically ... makes me wonder about flying in aeroplanes. Look and read carefully: I didn't say the OC Register was your "favored source" for news ... I said it was your "favored source for this thread" ...hey, you're the one who posted the thread and its link to the OC Register ... I'd call that your favored source for the story it told, no? You are the messenger quoting a single -- crappy -- source.

As for being a resident: hmmm, I have a permanent, California real estate address (not a P.O. box) for years and years and years. I have lived in, I think it is, 7 different locations in the state since 1967 ... I now split my time, almost evenly, between three states (including California), true, most years. I will almost certainly retire permanently back to CA when my rambling days are done (if ever that comes to be). I even hold valid state ID and benefits ...

You "don't need a news story to tell [you] what's going on in California?" Right. You get your report from Hank at the corner tavern and relay it on to us. We'll all sell out and run for the hills because Hank told you the sky was falling -- or because you drove through an area with empty buildings. News flash: empty buildings all across America ... always have been -- always will be. The reality of businesses closing down and laying off employees does not support your contention that businesses are "fleeing" an anti-business climate in the state. There is nothing in the slightest unusual about businesses closing, moving, or laying off employees. It's been happening since the beginning of history. Show me / us some comparative data that accounts for significant losses beyond those comparable with other states in this national / international business climate.

Am I going to tell businesses don't leave CA? Uh, no. They come and they go, just as they do everywhere. You are the one posting claims to an exodus without backing up with verifiable data ... You don't want to provide good data, I'm calling you on your claims. It's not my thread or claim ... it's yours ... you want to be believed? prove with quality data / reporting.

I'm not trying to prove anything except that you haven't provided a shred of credible evidence for your thesis.
Well ... now I know you are full of it. You are actually trying to say "business as usual" in California and its been that way "since the beginning of history". You ... my friend are out of touch ... and need to take the van you live in down for a spin in California's major cities. Stop by Sacramento and speak to some of elected politicians ... California is in a death spiral .... you know it ... I know it ... and the screwed up politicians know it.

Cali to Business: Get Out!

From a liberal news source:
California demographic shift: More people leaving than moving in

The proportion of Californians who had moved here from out of state reached a 100-year low of about 20% in 2010, and the decade measured by the most recent census was the first in a century in which the majority of Californians were native-born.

The demographics of California today more closely resemble those of 1900 than of 1950: It is a mostly home-grown population, whose future depends on the children of immigrants and their children, said William Frey, a demographer and senior fellow at the Brookings Institution.

"We used to say California, here we come," said Frey. "That now has flipped."

Old 12-26-2011, 08:38 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Same here.
Cheers.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Now you are getting it!! Well not, the metro areas of the east are distinct, separated by protected farmlands and small towns.

I recently drove to San Diego, 101, we hit solid development at the top of Conejo Grade, a few scattered pieces of open land to Calabasas, then solid asphalt and concrete to well south of John Wayne Airport, there was a clear hill south of there, but not much open land, then it closed in again to San Juan Capistrano Finally at the border of Camp Pendleton, open land.

I am filled with a great sadness when I make that drive or I5 south, or the 10 east out through San Berdoo..

I just wonder, what happened to America, what happened to Americans that they can live in prison, hemmed in on all sides by concrete, asphalt, roads, freeways, people, millions upon millions of people.

That is just no way to live, and I am appalled that anyone could do so.

I admit, I am in the minority, as are America's ranchers, farmers, loggers, cowboys, those who make their living, not on the land, but of the land.
Hey ... you get no argument from me that living rural is much better than the concrete jungle. For me, the job is in the jungle but thankfully it is close to the ocean that helps keep my sanity ... one of the reason's I like boating is I can escape although temporarily ...

When I pack-up and leave California is will be for a rural environment. I'm looking for a place, a ranch, on a lake or river ... with a dock ... where I can enjoy my retirement years.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:51 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,205 times
Those who keep popping more brats into the world shouldn't whine about overpopulation and concrete. Start with yourself and stop breeding--will be less population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California