Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:36 PM

307 posts, read 976,453 times

Advertisements

Greetings. I am originally from the Sacto area of California, currently in Colorado, and I am considering a move back but have some questions about the Chico and Redding areas.

I wanted to know if there is a strong Country culture in the Chico and Redding areas. And particularly which is more this way than the other: For instance, Cattle and Farming/Ag industry, Rodeos, rural country living with that personal philosophy/ideaology and venues that support Live Country Music on a regular basis such as Honky-Tonks etc.? I am an active Traditional country musician and need that in the area. It is also important to be close to the Sierras like Chico and Redding are.

If I move to the area, I would prefer to live in Chico or nearby, based on my current understandings, however, if someone thinks the Redding area is better suited please say so. We need to be near the city, but want to eventually own some land, or live in a smaller town nearby. Wanted to know which area is more like my description, if either at all. I have never made it up to either place when living in CA except for Gridley.
Please ask any questions, and thank you for your detailed assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 09:04 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,829,076 times
"close to the Sierra" (no "s") .... just sayin.
no offense intended.
sorry, i don't know the area well .... the forums are very quiet lately due to the holidays.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:21 PM

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://e...NK7__IrfD4gzTQ

Thanks for the relpy. It is with an "S".

Old 12-27-2011, 09:31 PM

I was born in Truckee.
I'm quite familiar with the Sierra / the Sierra Nevada.
But say it your way if you please.
Here ... for your edification.
Sierra or Sierras?

Old 12-27-2011, 09:34 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,627,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
Greetings. I am originally from the Sacto area of California, currently in Colorado, and I am considering a move back but have some questions about the Chico and Redding areas.

I wanted to know if there is a strong Country culture in the Chico and Redding areas. And particularly which is more this way than the other: For instance, Cattle and Farming/Ag industry, Rodeos, rural country living with that personal philosophy/ideaology and venues that support Live Country Music on a regular basis such as Honky-Tonks etc.? I am an active Traditional country musician and need that in the area. It is also important to be close to the Sierras like Chico and Redding are.

If I move to the area, I would prefer to live in Chico or nearby, based on my current understandings, however, if someone thinks the Redding area is better suited please say so. We need to be near the city, but want to eventually own some land, or live in a smaller town nearby. Wanted to know which area is more like my description, if either at all. I have never made it up to either place when living in CA except for Gridley.
Still pretty country up that way, I know I will be in Red Bluff in a while for a slice of old American horse culture. Country Music is pretty bad these days, but, it seems to be what people like. Traditional Country should be a big hit, but, I could not answer that for certain.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:55 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,080,547 times
I moved to Redding over a decade ago. I was kind of surprised when I moved here that Redding does not really have a country bar or scene. There is a country bar in Cottonwood about 14 miles south down I-5. I see a lot of young folks with their pants around their knees if that gives you idea how country Redding is. You might also look into Palo Cedro or Millville, which is outside of Redding.

I also lived in Chico for a few years. The music scene is a lot better in Chico, but I don’t recall hearing much country played in any downtown venues. In my opinion Chico is the nicer place to live and I would choose it hands down over Redding. It’s worth noting that the Chico area seems a lot more agriculture driven.

I know some might laugh, but I thought Oroville was nice, but I don’t know much about Oroville’s music scene. I’m not sure if you need work. The job market in all these areas is downright awful.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:57 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,938,384 times
Quote:

Get an old trailer up the Skyway or in Berry Creek... sit in front of it and honky tonk on your banjo all you want, here's your country music. But if you want the real country... go to West Point they make boys from Deliverance look like city slickers

Old 12-28-2011, 02:43 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,263,750 times
You will find rural places throughout the Sacramento Valley. Plenty of agriculture around Chico. Less so around Redding. Both Chico and redding are very urban as far as culture goes. There are a few towns approaching what you are looking for between Sacramento and Chico, but most of them are really made up of people from Sacramento and other cities who think they are living a country lifestyle because they purchased a house with some land on the fringes of Yuba City or Sutter.

You will find more of what you are looking for along I-5. Willow, Corning, and that area.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I was born in Truckee.
I'm quite familiar with the Sierra / the Sierra Nevada.
But say it your way if you please.
Here ... for your edification.
Sierra or Sierras?
I understand the logic behind the arguement well. I am probably one of the few people who does not say P.I.N. Number, as in Personal Identification Number Number. I misunderstood the meaning of your original post to be of something else, not the actual point you were making reagarding the pluralisation of the word or phraseological title for our beloved Mountain Range.

I was born and raised in Northern California from a multigenerational familiy of Californians and members of the Sierra. I too, am extremely familiar with the Sierra Nevada and through my travels I can happily and proudly say that there is not a more beautiful Mountain Range and forrested topography than the Sierra Nevada, in my observation. A passion of mine and focus is the Conservation/Preservation/Protection of our natural wonders; the Mountains/Forrests/Wildlife of our great Nation.

The term, "Sierras" is a colloquial term used by Native Californians for the most part. It is a nickname like "Sacto". I have heard it used my whole life by amateurs and professionals alike. From Scientists to Forrest/Park Rangers to Workers. I agree with you, and the article indeed for a literal and CORRECT usage. I have all my life understood and practiced the correct saying, prenunciation, and phrasing of words as a lover of linguistics and studier of such. My only explanation for this error is that I have been living in Colorado for a while and have been accustomed to saying "Rockies". Ergo, the accidental pluralisation of the Sierra Nevada into the "Sierras". As the colloquial idiom states it was a "slip of the tongue". Thank you, for pointing it out. Good Day.

Last edited by countryway; 12-28-2011 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: Adding info

Old 12-28-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I understand the logic behind the arguement well. I am probably one of the few people who does not say P.I.N. Number, as in Personal Identification Number Number. I misunderstood the meaning of your original post to be of something else, not the actual point you were making reagarding the pluralisation of the word or phraseological title for our beloved Mountain Range.

I was born and raised in Northern California from a multigenerational familiy of Californians and members of the Sierra. I too, am extremely familiar with the Sierra Nevada and through my travels I can happily and proudly say that there is not a more beautiful Mountain Range and forrested topography than the Sierra Nevada, in my observation. A passion of mine and focus is the Conservation/Preservation/Protection of our natural wonders; the Mountains/Forrests/Wildlife of our great Nation.

The term, "Sierras" is a colloquial term used by Native Californians for the most part. It is a nickname like "Sacto". I have heard it used my whole life by amateurs and professionals alike. From Scientists to Forrest/Park Rangers to Workers. I agree with you, and the article indeed for a literal and CORRECT usage. I have all my life understood and practiced the correct saying, prenunciation, and phrasing of words as a lover of linguistics and studier of such. My only explanation for this error is that I have been living in Colorado for a while and have been accustomed to saying "Rockies". Ergo, the accidental pluralisation of the Sierra Nevada into the "Sierras". As the colloquial idiom states it was a "slip of the tongue". Thank you, for pointing it out. Good Day.
Aren't they the most beautiful range of mountains?!
I've been all over the inter-mountain west and spend lots of time in the mountains of Idaho and it's all beautiful but there's something about the Sierra Nevada that is just special.
And there's a gentleness about them despite elevation, size, etc..
Yeah, my dad drilled that (Sierra with no "s") into the mind of my brother and i when we were young.
I'm a stickler about it but like that article said, "Strictly speaking, therefore, we should never say "Sierras," or "High Sierras," or "Sierra Nevadas" in referring to it. Nevertheless, these forms are so frequently found in the very best works of literature and science .... " so you're not alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California