Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:59 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,022,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we have drifted far far away from learning to read and write k12 has become fair game for any and all special interest groups. time for voucher system. shut it down. ACLU and too many lawyers has caused this.
I'm gay and I agree with this statement completely.

I'm all for not allowing kids to be bullied (as many gay/suspected gay kids are) and on clamping down on anti-gay slurs in the school yard and the classroom...but this gay history stuff is about promoting an agenda, not education.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:43 PM

50,478 posts, read 47,209,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

I'm all for not allowing kids to be bullied (as many gay/suspected gay kids are) and on clamping down on anti-gay slurs in the school yard and the classroom...but this gay history stuff is about promoting an agenda, not education.
I agree with you 100%. Make sure the learning environment is safe.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:02 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,641,681 times
One only needs to see this video to see the result of children that have came out of the California public school system.

I don't have anything against gays, but the last thing these kids need is to be taught gay history.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:05 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,225,896 times
Yet another nail in the coffin of American society.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:41 AM

268 posts, read 818,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
One only needs to see this video to see the result of children that have came out of the California public school system.

I don't have anything against gays, but the last thing these kids need is to be taught gay history.
Haha, I knew the answers to all his questions and I'm a product of California's public school system.

...of course I'm weird.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:11 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,702,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
actually yes.
teaching literacy in a k12 is not restriction, esp if they fail at that, which they have. its fundamentals. no need to go further if you dont have the fundamentals of learning. literacy is the issue. not the curiousity level of the students. that's a parental issue.
Here is how literacy is taught under the constraints of NCLB. Because literacy is tested the students are taught how to be successful in taking a multiple choice test in literacy, not, how to read. Big difference.

Students are handed a anthology, fragments of chapters in novels or non fiction, they are taught to read and answer multiple choice questions. The mind numbing boring-ness of this work destroys the students interest in reading. It is as if they are taught everything about reading, except why anyone would ever want to read a book.

The curiosity of the student is not solely a parental issue. Many parents, particularly at low socio economic levels are too busy surviving to enrich their children. You, should know that an interesting lesson will be remembered far longer than drudgery in a work book, that ain't rocket science.
Yet, NCLB dictates what and how subjects are taught, and it is all lower level thinking skills.

Below is Blooms taxonomy, multiple choice tests, upon which all schools are rated, and punished (never rewarded, that is not in NCLB) tests only 1 and 2, the lowest levels of learning;
Quote:
Bloom's Taxonomy of Educational Objectives

Cognitive Domain

1. Knowledge (Remembering previously learned material)

2. Comprehension (Grasping the meaning of material)

3. Application (Using information in concrete situations)

4. Analysis (Breaking down material into parts)

English / Language Arts: Given a poem, identify the specific poetic strategies employed in it.

5. Synthesis (Putting parts together into a whole)

English / Language Arts: Write an essay or a poem.

6. Evaluation (Judging the value of a product for a given purpose, using definite criteria)

Old 12-29-2011, 10:43 AM

3,484 posts, read 5,281,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

Since I'm not at all familiar with the curriculum to be covered, what aspect of it do you feel is promoting an agenda, what is the agenda, whose agenda is it, and is such an agenda good or bad? I'd love to see some real information about this issue. Thank you!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,573,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Since I'm not at all familiar with the curriculum to be covered, what aspect of it do you feel is promoting an agenda, what is the agenda, whose agenda is it, and is such an agenda good or bad? I'd love to see some real information about this issue. Thank you!
From the enacted bill:

SB 48, Leno. Pupil instruction: prohibition of discriminatory
content.

Existing law requires instruction in social sciences to include a
study of the role and contributions of both men and women and
specified categories of persons to the development of California and
the United States.

This bill would update references to certain categories of persons
and additionally would require instruction in social sciences to
include a study of the role and contributions of lesbian, gay,
bisexual, and transgender Americans, persons with disabilities, and
members of other cultural groups, to the development of California
and the United States.

Existing law prohibits instruction or school sponsored activities
that promote a discriminatory bias because of race, sex, color,
creed, handicap, national origin, or ancestry. Existing law prohibits
the State Board of Education and the governing board of any school
district from adopting textbooks or other instructional materials
that contain any matter that reflects adversely upon persons because
of their race, sex, color, creed, handicap, national origin, or
ancestry.

This bill would revise the list of characteristics included in
these provisions by referring to race or ethnicity, gender, religion,
disability, nationality, and sexual orientation, or other
characteristic listed as specified.

Existing law prohibits a governing board of a school district from
adopting instructional materials that contain any matter reflecting
adversely upon persons because of their race, color, creed, national
origin, ancestry, sex, handicap, or occupation, or that contain any
sectarian or denominational doctrine or propaganda contrary to law.

This bill would revise the list of characteristics included in
this provision to include race or ethnicity, gender, religion,
disability, nationality, sexual orientation, and occupation, or other
characteristic listed as specified.

Existing law requires that when adopting instructional materials
for use in the schools, governing boards of school districts shall
include materials that accurately portray the role and contributions
of culturally and racially diverse groups including Native Americans,
African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, European
Americans, and members of other ethnic and cultural groups to the
total development of California and the United States.

This bill would revise the list of culturally and racially diverse
groups to also include Pacific Islanders, lesbian, gay, bisexual,
and transgender Americans, and persons with disabilities.

Existing law provides that there shall be no discrimination on the
basis of specified characteristics in any operation of alternative
schools or charter schools.

This bill would state the intent of the Legislature that
alternative and charter schools take notice of the provisions of this
bill in light of provisions of existing law that prohibit
discrimination in any aspect of their operation.

Full text here:
SB 48 Senate Bill - CHAPTERED

Local school boards will be able to decide how to implement the mandate and at what grade level the instruction will begin once the law goes into effect.

In sum, its a tremendous excuse for conservatives to torque their panties even tighter.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:56 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,702,656 times
It is a funny thing, even the Conservatives that are gay, are anti gay.. That would make my head explode.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:18 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,922,272 times
I can see the new Hisptroy books:

"George Washington, an apparent hetrosexual at at least fomr appearances since he was married to Martha, purportedy female, although George may have had some homosexual tendencies since he ran around the battlefield with a large group of ment who all sept together in opaque tents and often rolled around in the mud together while training, led the rag tag AMerican army to victory at . . . . "

Abraham Lincoln, who may have been homosexual becuase he was known to share a bed with other men while traveling, and while this was the norm of the day, Lincol was taller than most men of his time and therefore would have had to curl up against anyone who was in the bed with him and therefore was udoubtedly at least partially homosexual, issued the emanipation proclaimation on. . . . .

"Dwight D. Eisenhower, while a dispicable hetrosexual, was still a reasonably good general who . . . .

Bill Clinton, who may have been hmoosexual because he had an affiar with an intern who kind of looked like a guy, passed the first bill that. . . .

Of course they will nopw have to find history books that describe the sexual orientation of every historical figure addressed in the book. Maybe they can include a table and put it on the exams.

Homsexual historical Figrues:

Hetrosexual Historical figures:

Bi-sexual historicla figures:

Asexual historical figures:

Pedophile historical figures:

Historical persons of significance who were into beastiality:

Historical figures of unknown sexual preferences:

Maybe this iwll be on the ACT. It is certinaly somehting that everystudent should have knowlege of and memorize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California