Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 12:01 AM

141 posts, read 284,923 times

Advertisements

If this post is serious then I'm so sick of upper middle-class American lifestyle. $11K a month and you can't cover everything after mortgage and student loan?! This is such white people's baby-crying. My Hispanic neighbor from years ago got up at 5AM everyday doing hard labor to raise a whole family in El Monte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 12:38 AM

507 posts, read 917,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
We've considered southern california especially from the standpoint of access to chelation therapy ( my oh my are they abundant in the los angeles area especially ).
Is there an epidemic of lead poisoning in LA? I didn't realize it was that polluted......

Anyway. The medical school curriculum doesn't include any personal finance classes, as far as I'm aware. 200k doesn't go that far to have a "lifestyle experience" in a high cost area like central SF. That's about the budget I'll be working with... and looks like just enough to afford a nice 2 bedroom place without having to skimp on the fun reasons for living in California.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:12 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losangelesdowntownchick View Post
If this post is serious then I'm so sick of upper middle-class American lifestyle. $11K a month and you can't cover everything after mortgage and student loan?! This is such white people's baby-crying. My Hispanic neighbor from years ago got up at 5AM everyday doing hard labor to raise a whole family in El Monte.
It took 49 pages but we finally got a racist comment.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:49 AM

667 posts, read 516,244 times
Quote:
Nothing like playing the race card when race is not part of the issue.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
Nothing like playing the race card when race is not part of the issue.
What nonsense. If you understand the economic setup of this country you know race is partially the issue.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It took 49 pages but we finally got a racist comment.
Learn what "racist" mean. A comment addressing a lifestyle that is almost exclusively white in California, which almost all Californians know what it's referred to, is not racist. It's only about race. Don't throw that "racist" card at a comment without properly knowing what it means. It's all too easy. Doesn't work anymore!

Old 08-16-2012, 05:40 PM

5 posts, read 13,208 times
Quote:
Learn what "racist" mean. A comment addressing a lifestyle that is almost exclusively white in California, which almost all Californians know what it's referred to, is not racist. It's only about race. Don't throw that "racist" card at a comment without properly knowing what it means. It's all too easy. Doesn't work anymore!

socioeconomic conditions can and do indeed vary by race, but it isn't always the determining factor...and i did not find the comment racist, but about race.
there are people of all walks of life who bust their ass and make it even though many fall short of the barometers of success we have here(esp in cali).

being born and rasied on the westside, with friends from many a hood from brentwood to inglewood and every in between from the bay-yo to the ****....i must honestly agree with the general sentiment of california's relative unaffordability. however, $200-300 is 10x what some make here in the city and they survive.

to buy a seado or not?
to buy a yacht and slip or not?
to eat out $80 meal 3/wk or not?
to lease another 1yr CLK AMG or not?
to buy another vacation condo/cabin or not?
to assume more debt than income(the american way) or not?

budgets can always meet or exceed the income, at any income level.

Aaron

Old 09-15-2012, 09:08 PM

341 posts, read 708,640 times
If you are willing, able and frugal/smart, you can live anywhere your little heart desires.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:53 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
You've gotta be kidding me, right? My friends and cousins lived on $40k a year for some time, and some had a kid or two already!

The answer is simple. Find the cheapest rent, cheapest food bargains for savings, and get on FAFSA (for those in college). It helps that we have welfare (no offense to anybody, but I do know people use that, though I'm not a member). Also, with Sam's Club and Costco around, who's complaining?

Some people I know got here from towns with under 10,000 people just on scholarships or driving trucks alone. They then used roommates and got around fine. I agree that with tuition, insurance, children, and buying clothes a couple times a year you will be strapped. No one in my area actually buys new houses or cars unless that chance comes once every few decades. To live comfortably, move to rural Texas or Nevada.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:36 PM

359 posts, read 320,398 times
It's only getting more expensive - at least in LA/OC. How are kids coming out of college with massive loans supposed to be able to get out on their own, buy a home, etc? Especially if they have a career that doesn't pay six figures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California