U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:59 PM

23 posts, read 40,050 times

Advertisements

Hello! This is my first post here - thank you for reading!

My husband and I would like to move from the east coast to northern California - preferably to the Arcata area (or surrounding - we're not super picky) within the next five years. We're working on a plan to save enough money to live on for 6 months while we find work. My husband is an electrician, and I currently work in a library, though I have a BA and have worked in customer service, office administration, etc. My husband's income is currently our main income. We are sort of desperate to get off the east coast because we are pretty much as far left as they come, and a good friend of mine who I trust lives out near Arcata and says we would basically be in paradise if we moved there. She is ecstatically happy there, and I think she knows us well enough to know how we'd like it (we do plan to visit a couple times before fully committing - we aren't total flakes...lol )

My question is about the job scene in northern California. I know unemployment overall out there is higher than average, but is it better/worse/otherwise different in the Northern areas? Would it be difficult for a journeyman (or he may be a master by this point) electrician to find a decent job within a few months? He's a great worker and will have great references.

Thank you for reading!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 04:36 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,282,305 times
I think that, from what i've heard and if i'm remembering correctly, the employment scene up there is quite bleak these days.
In 5 years though, who knows?
I think you both need to come out soon and really see and feel the most northern part of California.
It may be paradise for you or it may not be.
It's definitely a special area but it's not the California that many people dream of .... it's cooler, rainier in the winter and relatively isolated.
p.s. if you get grief for referring to California as "cali" don't take it personally but realize that many Californian's can't stand that nickname.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:20 PM

9,513 posts, read 12,593,347 times
Concur. When you get closer to moving your husband can contact the IBEW . We used to have an IBEW office in Eureka but it was closed due to lack of construction activity.They are probably in Santa. Rosa. Overall 12% unemployment so glad you're not in a hurry to move. The other day FOUR Eureka businesses closed on the same day, including the best restaurant in town. Arcata smaller but same situation. Hopefully things will pick up. You are to be congratulated for thinking about these things ahead of time. Amazing how many people just show up and think everything will work out.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:51 PM

23 posts, read 40,050 times
Thank you for the info - it doesn't sound too good. My friend who lives out there basically lives with her boyfriend and kids on a farm, helping the owner with a medical marijuana operation. So they aren't paying bills, and I think she's kind of "out of it" when it comes to the "real world" with a "real job," bills, etc. Here's hoping it gets better!

I've been reading a lot this week, and thinking we might want to look somewhere with a little more sun (Hawaii? Lol). I know the reason my friend thinks we would love it there is more because of the social vibe. We are in Pennsylvania right now and are somewhat miserable because it's hard to meet like-minded people where we are. PA is a really "old" state and most areas are conservative. I've lived here most of my life, and don't remember ever fitting in well. We lived in Madison, WI for a little while and I loved loved LOOOVVVVEED the social scene there, but the weather was outrageously cold. Wish there was somewhere affordable like Madison with good weather. Hmph. Ah well...

Old 01-01-2012, 11:55 AM

2,890 posts, read 4,224,296 times
What about Santa Rosa? It's like 4 or 5 hours south of Arcata, 1 hour north of San Francisco, and it has a lot more infrastructure while still having that cool NorCal small-town vibe. It's way, way sunnier than Arcata (since it's inland) -- for example, it may be pushing 70 degrees today on New Year's Day under beautiful sunshine -- and it's close enough to more jobs and population. Hawaii can be VERY expensive in the urban islands like Oahu, but it can be affordable on more rural islands like the Big Island, but then you've got the same job issues again... Santa Rosa may be a good compromise.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:04 PM

114 posts, read 201,378 times
what about living in philadelphia? Very liberal stay in center city, near south street can't hubby get an electrician job there?

Old 01-01-2012, 12:37 PM

7,150 posts, read 9,368,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypresstosocal View Post
what about living in philadelphia? Very liberal stay in center city, near south street can't hubby get an electrician job there?
What? Philadelphia? (*head spinning around*) ... did some one -- particularly the OP -- say anything about Philly being an option? I thought the post was about wanting to leave the east coast. I think Philly is east still, isn't it? At least it was when I grew up there. And the only place east I can't imagine wanting to escape from would be Maine (ok, and N.H. and Vermont maybe).

Philly , huh.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:40 PM

7,376 posts, read 14,254,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
What? Philadelphia? (*head spinning around*) ... did some one -- particularly the OP -- say anything about Philly being an option? I thought the post was about wanting to leave the east coast. I think Philly is east still, isn't it? At least it was when I grew up there. And the only place east I can't imagine wanting to escape from would be Maine (ok, and N.H. and Vermont maybe).

Philly , huh.
Cream cheese....at the source.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:25 PM

7,150 posts, read 9,368,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Cream cheese....at the source.
Male voice: Suzy?
Female voice: Yes?
Male voice: Suzy Creamcheese?
Female voice: Yes?
Male voice: This is the voice of your conscience baby ... uh, I just want to check one thing out with you ... you don't mind, do ya?
Female voice: What?
Male voice: Suzy Creamcheese, honey, what's got into ya?

http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.18/common/images/magnify-clip.png (broken link)
The Freak Out! back cover. The small text reads: "These Mothers are crazy. You can tell by their clothes. One guy wears beads and they all smell bad. We were gonna get them for a dance after the basketball game but my best pal warned me you can never tell how many will show up...sometimes the guy in the fur coat doesn't show up and sometimes he does show up only he brings a big bunch of crazy people with him and they dance all over the place. None of the kids at my school like these Mothers... specially since my teacher told us what the words to their songs meant.
Sincerely forever,
Suzy Creamcheese

Frank Zappa mothers suzy creamcheese (1967) - Vidéo Dailymotion

Old 01-01-2012, 02:30 PM

1,614 posts, read 3,355,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post

Philly , huh.

I think the suggestion was "since you're in PA now, moving to Philly would be much easier than a blind move across country with no job and social support group around you."

For the record, though, electricians in Philly are unionized up the yingyang. Without the right contacts it'd probably be easier to find a job in California than to break into the Philly market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California