U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 08:16 PM

21 posts, read 40,697 times

Advertisements

We live in Colorado and for our Spring break (1st week in April) - we are thinking of planning a trip maybe starting in Santa Barbara, driving down the coast and ending in ....maybe Dana Point area or possibly a little further South...

Not sure where to fly in yet...and would like to hear from some SO CA folks...where are some good places to stop and maybe stay at an Inn...

We would like to see some cool beaches, we like artsy towns...fun towns to hangout with good nightlife - clean and nice Inns or hotels....

Off the cuff, I'd like to have 4 "stay over" spots in the 8-9 days we will be there... (Santa Barbara, Malibu, Santa Monica and....Laguna Beach....)???

We clearly have no idea, there seem to be so many great places when looking at a map -

We are a very casual couple, gay couple - not that that matters in CA compared to Colorado Springs....really just want to relax, find romantic spots and walk around some cool towns.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 08:25 PM

11,715 posts, read 37,440,269 times
Most of that route is very urban. You may as well go drive around Denver on surface streets for a week. The nice, relaxing parts of the coast start north of Santa Barbara.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:28 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,272,865 times
No Big Sur?
Big Sur California Chamber of Commerce, Lodging, Accommodations, Camping
I know you want to visit SoCal (i don't know it well enough to recommend a thing) but, for what it's worth, if you haven't been to Big Sur you may want to consider it .... like fly into Monterey (a nice regional airport) and then go south from there.
It is (or can be if you want it to be) very romantic and there are some places to stay that are quite expensive but worth it.
There may still be some rain in April however ... never know these days.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:30 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,744,039 times
Santa Barbara is pretty relaxing. I would also suggest Ojai (not too far from Santa Barbara). A very laid back, artsy town.

Laguna Beach is in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Orange County but still pretty laid back.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Most of that route is very urban. You may as well go drive around Denver on surface streets for a week. The nice, relaxing parts of the coast start north of Santa Barbara.
That's two votes for staying farther to the north Pammy.
Have you been to the coast of CA?
If you haven't and unless you're stuck on SoCal, i'd recommend starting in Santa Barbara (is there an airport there? i dunno) and then going north on Coastal 1.
I think that you will, like EscapeCalifornia said, find it more relaxing and much of it is very beautiful and it's just much less impacted and insane.
You could go From like Santa Barbara up to San Francisco although i recommend doing it in May or early June ... before things get more touristy / before school lets out but late enough so that you can be fairly certain that the rain is done and actually, even if it does rain, it won't be anything "serious" ... just an oddity that won't last that late in the season.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:46 PM

7,376 posts, read 14,228,082 times
Go north, young Pamster! Go north!
Or fly into SFO and head south to Santa Barbara. Take Hwy 1, of course.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:04 AM

8,262 posts, read 17,025,753 times
If it's romance you are looking for, GO NORTH!! Santa Barbara. Morro Bay/San Luis Obispo. Cambria.San Simeon/Hearst Castle. Big Sur and Monterey! You can fly into Santa Barbara. Have fun ladies!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:38 PM

459 posts, read 641,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Go north, young Pamster! Go north!
Or fly into SFO and head south to Santa Barbara. Take Hwy 1, of course.
That's not fair! If they want to go South, let them!
Suppose you start at Big Sur and head SOUTH...you can stop at many places at the Pacific Coast Highway and enjoy deserted beaches all the way. It's very peaceful.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post
That's not fair! If they want to go South, let them!
Suppose you start at Big Sur and head SOUTH...you can stop at many places at the Pacific Coast Highway and enjoy deserted beaches all the way. It's very peaceful.
We're (i'll be so bold as to speak for others) just wanting to optimize their coastal experience.
No one on city-data-forum has the power to not "let them".
If they don't know the coast of California some information has been provided that may be helpful to them.
Although since Pammy hasn't returned, perhaps we did offend.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:14 AM

10,566 posts, read 14,477,200 times
The Socal coast is really nice, too, especially if you don't live in the area - think about it, coming from Colorado during the winter and seeing the Socal coast...? Sounds like a pleasant break to me!

I'd suggest maybe driving a bit further South, down towards San Diego. Really beautiful coastline down by San Clemente beach (only a very short drive further South from Dana Point) and beyond, and development drops off for a stretch down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California