Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:38 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Beats the heck out of using them to
support welfare
support freeway construction
In fact, I think, helping out wolves is one of the highest and best uses for taxpayer dollars.
As much as I loved to hear their cries while sleeping in my tent when camping in other states. It's not a reality in this state anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 07:43 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Yes such a wonderful use of tax payer dollars.
A wildlife biologist is going to get paid whether he/she is sitting at a desk peering at a computer monitor or out in the field surveying nest density of ducks, winter fawn survival rates, bat populations, etc., all of things that their job requires. Speculation on my part as to how closely OR-7 is being studied other than his Gps movements. Most wildlife biologists are employed by government agencies, from local to federal. Were I able to go back in time and start over again, a career in this line of work would be one that would be very seriously considered.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
A wildlife biologist is going to get paid whether he/she is sitting at a desk peering at a computer monitor or out in the field surveying nest density of ducks, winter fawn survival rates, bat populations, etc., all of things that their job requires. Speculation on my part as to how closely OR-7 is being studied other than his Gps movements. Most wildlife biologists are employed by government agencies, from local to federal. Were I able to go back in time and start over again, a career in this line of work would be one that would be very seriously considered.
I am not disputing that. A wolf pack in California is an unreality. That time past probably around the time when the last grizzly was killed.

The money would be better spent, trapping the wolf and returning it to a state that supports a pack.

Wolves unlike wolverines or mountain lions are not secretive enough to survive in a state like California.

You could always become a volunteer.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:16 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Beats the heck out of using them to
support welfare
support freeway construction
In fact, I think, helping out wolves is one of the highest and best uses for taxpayer dollars.
Why? As I do not think you are actually being sarcastic here...

I could propose the following:... It is a matter of national security.. Time and time again it has been proven that imbalances in the ecosystem are the root cause of plague, famine and other such disasters... Understanding and restoring balance is our best "defense" against these threats....Hence the wolf in its native range..

Our species often thinks we are at the top of the food chain, and we can live outside the rules of nature... When in fact we are just another species that can be made extinct if conditions are right...

Know you place in the food chain... Bacteria and fungi rule this planet..Not us..

Ole Louis Pasteur got it all wrong...

This guy got it right...

"Nothing is lost, nothing is created...all is transformed. Nothing is the prey of death. All is the prey of life"---Antoine Bechamp

Old 02-14-2012, 08:37 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Why? As I do not think you are actually being sarcastic here...
I believe it was Aldo Leopold who said, "In wildness is the preservation of the world"

All the constructs of man will end some day, and only the wild will remain, that thought comforts me.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 AM

Default He's Gone.

It was fun and interesting while it lasted, but OR-7 has returned to Oregon. He crossed over the border Thursday and is in Jackson County. He may return or perhaps other wolves may migrate into California, but as of now, California is once again without a wild wolf within it's borders.
www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/03/02/BA7T1NFBS9.DTL

Old 03-04-2012, 07:49 AM

Like most rational out of staters. Only here for a Vacation. Once they see the "California True" they can't wait to GTFO.

Glad the Wolf choose to leave. Now Whitetail deer on the other hand, thats is a species introduction I can support. Bang.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:45 PM

Well, OR-7, dubbed Journey by some, is still here. He was spotted and photographed last Tuesday by DFG personnel in Modoc County. In a bit of a surprise, he was hanging out with coyotes, not usual wolf behavior. While wolves are usually deadly foes of coyotes, there has been wolf/coyote hybridization, mainly in the East. Since wolves are social animals OR-7 may have sought the company, and the question has arisen if he may have mated with a coyote.
www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/05/12/BAMM1OGAMM.DTL

Old 05-13-2012, 07:37 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Like most rational out of staters. Only here for a Vacation. Once they see the "California True" they can't wait to GTFO.

Glad the Wolf choose to leave. Now Whitetail deer on the other hand, thats is a species introduction I can support. Bang.
Sad, wrong again... darn, should been born a liberal... If you follow his posts he will often make reference to shooting little grass eating animals, this is supposed to upset the liberals and impress the guys, but, must keep in mind, he is using thousands of dollars worth of equipment to shoot little harmless grass eating animals.

He ain't bow hunting Griz;

Old 05-14-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Well, OR-7, dubbed Journey by some, is still here. He was spotted and photographed last Tuesday by DFG personnel in Modoc County. In a bit of a surprise, he was hanging out with coyotes, not usual wolf behavior. While wolves are usually deadly foes of coyotes, there has been wolf/coyote hybridization, mainly in the East. Since wolves are social animals OR-7 may have sought the company, and the question has arisen if he may have mated with a coyote.
www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/05/12/BAMM1OGAMM.DTL
Interesting. If that happens are the offspring Yotes which are legal to kill or Wolves which are not?

Figured I'd ask you instead of looking it up since you have been so diligently following this story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California