Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 02:04 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times

Advertisements

What's the general opinion on living in Ben Lomond?

Like it ... don't like it ... too much rain ... etc ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 02:35 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
It's a bit hotter in the summer than the communities in Santa Cruz county that are closer to the coast.
Many of the homes are in the redwoods so in the summer it's nice and cool and really lovely but living right in them in the winter can be a drag ... very damp and dark.
It may seem romantic (especially if it's summer) until you go through an entire winter without the sun.
If you can find a dwelling that has some open space so that some sun will reach your property in the winter, that's a big plus.
Those are tall trees so the sun "sets" pretty early.
I have a friend who lives in the redwoods and in the winter, no sun reaches his place ... at all.
It's a mountain community .... kinda funky and either you're into it or not.
I prefer to be closer to the coast but if that's not important to you and you like being up in the S.C. mountains Ben Lomond, Brookdale, Felton, Boulder Creeek .... they're cool little towns with a unique (some might say weird ) energy up there.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 04-29-2010 at 02:44 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 02:42 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
My first thought was .... "who's that?"

Old 04-29-2010, 03:54 PM

8 posts, read 23,024 times
oooh! I just moved to Capitola/ Aptos from Ben Lomond, I had a lease there for six months and it was not my favorite place in the County to live. A lot of mountain people. Places to eat get old, I did enjoy Ben Lomond market... driving anywhere became rather annoying. Summertime temptures were hot (I would drive down to SC and it would be 10 to 15 degrees cooler) and Winter months were freezing. It really stinks when there is a accident since Hwy 9, Mt Hermon and the 17 are your only options.... = )

Old 05-03-2010, 03:28 AM

11 posts, read 19,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy8425 View Post
oooh! I just moved to Capitola/ Aptos from Ben Lomond, I had a lease there for six months and it was not my favorite place in the County to live. A lot of mountain people. Places to eat get old, I did enjoy Ben Lomond market... driving anywhere became rather annoying. Summertime temptures were hot (I would drive down to SC and it would be 10 to 15 degrees cooler) and Winter months were freezing. It really stinks when there is a accident since Hwy 9, Mt Hermon and the 17 are your only options.... = )
what is the cost of living in ben lamond and other mountain communities above santa cruz?

how much less than in santa cruz per se?

Old 05-03-2010, 12:06 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest934 View Post
what is the cost of living in ben lamond and other mountain communities above santa cruz?

how much less than in santa cruz per se?
Rents tend to be just a bit less pricey but not by much.
And if you need to be driving down to S.C. often, figure in the price of gas which i'm thinking is going to top $4 again this summer.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:50 PM

21 posts, read 68,962 times
I know this is an older thread, but can anyone give me advice on rentals in the Ben Lomond/ Boulder Creek area? My wife and I are looking for a place up there because we will be working there at a business we are taking over. Our budget will be tight the first year so I'm hoping to find a lower priced rental. Is Craigslist the only place I should be looking? I'm seeing rentals from $900 for a small studio up $1500 for a small 1 or 2 bedroom. Is this about right? We eventually plan to buy something in the community, are there rent-to-own options?

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2012, 01:48 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcosner View Post
I know this is an older thread, but can anyone give me advice on rentals in the Ben Lomond/ Boulder Creek area? My wife and I are looking for a place up there because we will be working there at a business we are taking over. Our budget will be tight the first year so I'm hoping to find a lower priced rental. Is Craigslist the only place I should be looking? I'm seeing rentals from $900 for a small studio up $1500 for a small 1 or 2 bedroom. Is this about right? We eventually plan to buy something in the community, are there rent-to-own options?

Thanks!
I don't know where in the country you're coming from, but in the Bay Area Craigslist is the best place for housing information, rentals, etc. I would imagine someplace small like Ben Lomond there might be a good amount of physical "for rent" signs too. That was true of the small town we lived in a couple years ago in western Colorado.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:58 PM

21 posts, read 68,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I don't know where in the country you're coming from, but in the Bay Area Craigslist is the best place for housing information, rentals, etc. I would imagine someplace small like Ben Lomond there might be a good amount of physical "for rent" signs too. That was true of the small town we lived in a couple years ago in western Colorado.

I've been watching Craigslist and will probably spend some time cruising the area when we visit again. We are in Fresno now, just moved back to the west coast after spending 4 years in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California