Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:51 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear that. Cracker Barrel stock has made me a nice profit over the years. Not in dividends...in buying and selling the stock. And Cracker Barrel always did better when Evins was in charge.
Think I'll sell that stock now.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:27 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Lots of really negative comments about this and other "down home" restos. So, that's great if all you ever want to eat is "slow food" or ethnic cuisines. I like these sorts of things as well, but do not limit myself to them. I also like "good old American" food too. It's a sign of the exiting Middle Class native born that we see restos like Cracker Barrel going by the bye.

And I think that's sad. True diversity includes pioneer descended GRINGOS too! (I do not write this sarcastically, I truly believe it).

Old 01-20-2012, 09:57 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,885 times
Default Here is the real reason!

I love Cracker Barrel and always eat there when I am not in California. I talked to the manager at the restaurant in Prescott, Arizona asking why don't we have any in CA? He said the menu is priced the same all over the nation. They did studies and our labor costs in CA are higher, our land leasing costs in CA are higher, and our fees (taxes, regulations) in CA are higher, so they calculated they would only lose money in CA so Cracker Barrel will never open a Restaurant/Country store in CA because they would lose money, because they won't raise their menu prices. So that is the story.

There is a Cracker Barrel very close to the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville. (across the street) Guess who eats breakfast there several times a week when she is in Nashville? Miss Dolly Parton. She shows up by herself with a book and has a nice quiet breakfast. What is cool about Nashville they are so used to seeing all the stars everone leaves them alone. Dolly has a very modest home in Nashville which I have also seen. Guess I am a true Redneck living in Southern CA.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:14 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Lots of really negative comments about this and other "down home" restos. So, that's great if all you ever want to eat is "slow food" or ethnic cuisines. I like these sorts of things as well, but do not limit myself to them. I also like "good old American" food too. It's a sign of the exiting Middle Class native born that we see restos like Cracker Barrel going by the bye.

And I think that's sad. True diversity includes pioneer descended GRINGOS too! (I do not write this sarcastically, I truly believe it).
What is "Slow Food."

Old 01-20-2012, 10:20 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
I love Cracker Barrel and always eat there when I am not in California. I talked to the manager at the restaurant in Prescott, Arizona asking why don't we have any in CA? He said the menu is priced the same all over the nation. They did studies and our labor costs in CA are higher, our land leasing costs in CA are higher, and our fees (taxes, regulations) in CA are higher, so they calculated they would only lose money in CA so Cracker Barrel will never open a Restaurant/Country store in CA because they would lose money, because they won't raise their menu prices. So that is the story.
Nailed it. That's exactly why California doesn't have them. And you guys are really missing out on it, too.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:24 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
It's not like we don't already have thousands of other "down home" type restaurants that offer the same kind of food. Personally, I can only take so much of that "down home" stuff. 2 or 3 times a year is enough for me.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:37 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
What is "Slow Food."
Simplistically, food that's made to order and hasn't been sitting under a heat lamp like most "fast food," In-N-Out being a rare exception.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:49 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,209 times
I remember growing up in the San Joaquin Valley and looking forward to visiting friends in Orange County and looking forward to going to PF Chang's. Now I bike by a PF Chang's every time; never been there or really wanted to. I'm sure the food is fine there and at Crack Barrel, but I just can't get fired up not having a certain chain restaurant. Last I looked, there were plenty of those is every anonymous suburb I've traveled through.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:35 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Simplistically, food that's made to order and hasn't been sitting under a heat lamp like most "fast food," In-N-Out being a rare exception.
There is also an implication, with "slow food," that all ingredients were sourced from within a 100 mile radius. This is all the rage right now in the coastal urban areas of CA.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:15 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ahhhh, Mahalo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California