Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:40 PM

63 posts, read 124,004 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm currently a student in Pittsburgh that has been intrigued by California for a while. I have visited Los Angeles and thought the surrounding areas were beautiful, and I plan on visiting the Five Cities area on the central coast sometime after or during college. Before I can do that, I figured I would get a few questions answered by some of you more knowledgeable people:

1. Is the area truly that much more expensive when it comes to apartment rentals, or living cost in general? If I were to move, I would be looking for nothing special, studio to one bedroom apartments. I will not have college loans to pay off. From what I see, the going prices seem only slightly higher than a decent one bedroom apartment near the UPitt area around here, trading the proximity to the university with the proximity to a beach (which could have some effect on employment opportunities I'd presume).

2. Are there a lot of outdoors-oriented activities or opportunities around the area? Hiking and fishing would be the most interesting to me.

3. What services or skills, if any, are needed around the area?

Let me add that I'm not looking for some night-club oriented, lavish, high paced lifestyle. Cities and rural areas all have their ups and downs and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu takes up the majority of my time, and I'm not somebody that needs loads of organized activities 24/7. Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by DJJ125; 01-28-2012 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 09:21 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
A. No one refers to South SLO County as "the five cities area" , it is hard to get people to agree as to exactly which of the small towns comprise the 5 cities.

As a student you probably want to be in San Luis Obispo. Lots of fishing, lots of hiking, year round from sea level to, with a reasonable drive 14,000 foot peaks. If I were a student, or post student, I might well live in Avila Beach, nice town, nice beach.

Jobs are a bit scarce, it depends on what you can do. Lots of waiter jobs.

The area is beautiful and is a center for tourist from other areas, which indicates how beautiful it is.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:27 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
A. No one refers to South SLO County as "the five cities area"
I had no clue as to what he was referring to, and I once lived there.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 PM

I probably should have specified, I meant Pismo Beach, Oceano and maybe Arroyo Grande/Grover Beach. Either way, I will look into Avila Beach. I don't really plan on studying in California, rather I am studying here in Pittsburgh for the time being. I very well may be majoring in English Writing and perhaps doubling in something else (could be anything, and yes I know, English Writing majors don't have great job prospects anywhere).

Old 01-28-2012, 09:32 PM

A. Do not live in Oceano
B. Do not live in Grover City
C. Arroyo Grande is a fine town, more family than young person.
D. Pismo is great, especially the area known as Shell Beach.

Wineries employee young people with good communication skills in the tasting rooms, there are over 200 wineries in the area.

Arroyo Grande just opened a new Tavern, Rooster Creek, I don't know where all the young people come from, but the place has been packed every night.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
A. Do not live in Oceano
B. Do not live in Grover City
C. Arroyo Grande is a fine town, more family than young person.
D. Pismo is great, especially the area known as Shell Beach.

Wineries employee young people with good communication skills in the tasting rooms, there are over 200 wineries in the area.

Arroyo Grande just opened a new Tavern, Rooster Creek, I don't know where all the young people come from, but the place has been packed every night.
Ah, I appreciate the info. May I ask the reasons as to why Oceano and Grover City aren't a good fit?

Old 01-28-2012, 09:41 PM

Grover and Oceano are, at best, low rent, with the attendant problems of those sorts of areas.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:42 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Cayucos, CA - California beach resort town visitor information is one of my favorite places in the area. Not too far from SLO or Morro Bay and less touristy than Pismo.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Cayucos, CA - California beach resort town visitor information is one of my favorite places in the area. Not too far from SLO or Morro Bay and less touristy than Pismo.
Interesting, I'll look into the town. Any particular things about the area that would make it less desirable than other parts of California?

Old 01-29-2012, 05:41 PM

364 posts, read 611,212 times
"Low rent". That's a good one. Afraid to call it like it is. Those areas have lots of illegal immigrants from Mexico. Low rent - that's cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California