Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 12:26 AM

89 posts, read 409,642 times

Advertisements

I visited the ER to have a cut on my finger cleaned and wrapped. All that was done to me was a tetanus shot, cleaning of the area with hydrogen peroxide, and wrapping it. Total time dedicated to my injury was 5-10 minutes (and a couple hrs waiting, including 1hr once I went in). I was told that a doctor was going to come and take a look at my finger, but he did not because he had another emergency to go to as I was told, so the cleaning and wrapping was done by a nurse.
I am being charged $1800 for the visit, and an additional $240, which is the physician's charge. Both bills are ridiculous and want to fight them. The first one being too high, and the second one that is completely unfair considering I didn't even get to see the doctor. I called about the second bill, and was told that it was a standard fee I had to pay (even though I didn't see a doctor).

Both bills are about to go to collections, and I know I should of taken care of them earlier, but I refuse to pay them and unless they charge me a more reasonable amount for the ER visit, and discard the second bill I am not paying a dime.

I also know that ER is expensive, but I was told by another clinic that I should go to the ER (because it was a deep cut) and I should expect to pay $80-100 for cleaning/wrapping (it was too late for stitches, past 24hrs). That wasn't the case.

I need some advice on how to go about dealing with this, is the hospital likely to accept a lower offer? And could I argue that I shouldn't have to pay the physician, or is it a standard fee that no matter what I have to pay? Please help, thanks!

I forgot to mention, that once I walked in I asked for an estimate for my visit. I was told they would let me know once I was discharged. Once I was discharged, at the cashier's window, I was given an estimate of $900. The actual charge is double that amount...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 12:32 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Why didn't you go to a walk-in? I had an inner ear procedure done last year, took the doctor (yes, a doctor)
20 minutes to accomplish the procedure. 110 bucks, a script for meds, and I'm out the door.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:35 AM

It was a walk-in..

Old 02-07-2012, 12:51 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas-gr View Post
It was a walk-in..
ER = Attached to a hospital. For emergencies. Very expensive. Go here if you cut your arm off, there's a bullet in your chest, or you're having a heart attack.

Walk-in = Non emergency. Not attached to a hospital. Go here for a couple of stitches or some antibiotics to get over a sinus infection. Don't go here if you're dying. Much cheaper.

Which was it?

Old 02-07-2012, 01:01 AM

I went in through a door on the rear of the hospital (but attached), next to another entrace (I think another entrance to the hospital). Once I walked in I had to fill out a form (name, ssn etc) and then I took a seat. None of the other patients had real emergencies and it wasn't the same area they would bring in real emergencies with an ambulance (that's in the front). I thought this was considered walk in, but I think there was a sign saying "emergency room" on top of that entrance. The parking garage was right across from that entrance, I would assume I went to the right place (and why didn't they send me to the "right" room if I wasn't)

Old 02-07-2012, 01:32 AM

The walk-in I went to is miles away from any hospital, and is non-affiliated. It's an industrial medical clinic. In case you need similar services again, I'd look into a place like that.

$110 vs $2040...

Old 02-07-2012, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The walk-in I went to is miles away from any hospital, and is non-affiliated. It's an industrial medical clinic. In case you need similar services again, I'd look into a place like that.
$110 vs $2040...
Ok now I know what you 're saying. I did go to an outside clinic before I went to the ER (it was called MD Stat urgent care) and I was sent to the ER from there since they wanted the payment in cash, which I didn't have. When I said I'll come back in a couple hrs one of the staff there told me "just go to the ER where you can make payments and will cost you less"

Old 02-07-2012, 02:02 AM

This is the company: metropolitan industrial occupational medical clinics, injuries drug screenings

The good part about those places is, other than the affordability aspect: They don't have true life-threatening emergencies coming through the doors that will take a doc away from working on you.

The injury doesn't have to be work-related if you're paying cash, as I did. Mine wasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California