Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:01 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY1986 View Post
Thanks. I just really need help now because whatever I do in the next few months will lay the fabric of my life whether it be a success or not.
We'll continue to advice and guide but first you have to prove to us that you're not a troll.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:08 PM

52 posts, read 62,012 times
I messaged "NewToCA" asking him for some specific advice so I know he for sure knows I'm legit. Bedically right now here's my issue and I wanna thank you guys do much right now. I'm praying hard for the best idea for my life.. Anyhow here goes:

Getting a roommate thing going should ensure me having a successful move long term, but in essence, I could go to Jacksonville and pay out of state tuition for just a year which will be covered by loans and grants anyway.. But regardless of where I go I'm going to have to work anyway, you know? Basically I'm afraid of potentially failing in California and having no FL opportunity, going back here and dealing with this Northeast BS again.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I messaged "NewToCA" asking him for some specific advice so I know he for sure knows I'm legit. Bedically right now here's my issue and I wanna thank you guys do much right now. I'm praying hard for the best idea for my life.. Anyhow here goes:

Getting a roommate thing going should ensure me having a successful move long term, but in essence, I could go to Jacksonville and pay out of state tuition for just a year which will be covered by loans and grants anyway.. But regardless of where I go I'm going to have to work anyway, you know? Basically I'm afraid of potentially failing in California and having no FL opportunity, going back here and dealing with this Northeast BS again.
There's going to be a lag time between the time you arrive in California and between the time you find a room mate situation not to mention a job.
I feel that's there's a good chance that you can find both but how long that will take is the question and so you need to be prepared for the chance that things won't happen as quickly as you want them to or as it seems you're assuming they will.
A hotel room for a few nights is one thing but as i said in a previous post, a month in a hotel (a cheap one for like $60 a night - do you mind living with tweekers around and other fun stuff?) is going to cost you almost 2K.
No one can tell you what to do which it seems you're asking for.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:17 PM

Basically I am, right now I'm basically petrified of making the worse decision and getting screwed over, but I feel like I'll most certainly be successful in LA or SD

Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Basically I am, right now I'm basically petrified of making the worse decision and getting screwed over, but I feel like I'll most certainly be successful in LA or SD
Oh geez dude ... just do it or don't.
You're getting boring.
If you feel like you'll "most certainly be successful in LA or SD" then why in the world are you so petrified?
I'm still not convinced that you're not trolling but, either way, i've given what i've got and i'm done.
Good luck.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,116 times
Quote:
This thread is about a real person with real problems. Irrelevant Taoism is not needed here. I'm asking you guys because I don't want to blow through 5000 bucks and practically waste it.
You will and when you are standing on the freeway off ramp with your cardboard sign you will wish you had listened.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 PM

LOl.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:37 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
The idea that I just stated; is that a reasonable idea or..?
With $5000 saved, you could get a cheap room in a house or apartment with other students, and work a coffee shop job while going to community college. Yeah, it will be tough the first year or two but in the end it will be worth it as long as you have specific goals and follow through with them. You might even work the first year while establishing residency to make classes dirt cheap.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:49 PM

Yup. The only issue I had was the idea of potentially being homeless with no money. But in retrospect, if I don't find work in that time alotted, I do not deserve to even live.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:11 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Yup. The only issue I had was the idea of potentially being homeless with no money. But in retrospect, if I don't find work in that time alotted, I do not deserve to even live.
Years ago i attended classes at Monterey Peninsula College for two years. At first i was working at a gas station/garage doing oil changes, lubes, pumping gas, etc. Then i got a job driving a school bus. The bus yard was right on campus. It worked out real well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California