Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 AM

943 posts, read 1,321,142 times

Advertisements

There's a factor that I think has been only barely touched on in this thread. All my family and friends are in California. I am very close to them. I don't know what it would take for me to move to someplace where I didn't know anybody, but I imagine I would have to be pretty desperate.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:18 AM

124 posts, read 334,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
(1) Tennessee and California are like traffic ticket bros. Two peas in a pod. What ever you want to call them. Cops patrol the highways very heavily in both states, although I'll give Tennessee the edge on actually being bigger jerks (based on stories and family members' experiences). Naturally, a big revenue enhancer for either state.

(2) Tennessee can have a high sales tax because it absolutely makes friggin' sense! Have you been to Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga, or the Smokies? Memphis has Beale Street, Nashville has the country music history and the Ryman, Chattanooga has a massive aquarium, and the Smokies are like the Jesus Christos Bible-thumpin' gaudy country hick Vegas of the east, but with no dern tootin' gamblin'. (I only like the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, but the rest of the region is lame.) People drive from as far as Savannah, Detroit, St. Louis, and Raleigh just to spend a weekend at any one of the said locations. Nashville is also a major convention city.

Lastly, quite a few Californians seem to be moving to Nashville. Just skim the Nashville board.
I live in Nashville (a suburb) and absolutely love it. I AM moving to Irvine (or there about) and I am totally fine with the move - except I'll really miss it here. I've lived all over the world and the nation - and this has been my favorite place to live.
Nashville is NOTHING like the rest of TN - the only thing that's 'country' are the tourists. It may have been rednecky years ago - but in the past 10 years a TON of California people have been moving here and you can tell from the vibe. There are lots of churches around here except I've never seen anyone at them (I don't go though) and no one has EVER asked me what church I go to or what religion I am. It's definitely NOT the bible belt here in Nashville.
This is the most laid back place I have ever lived. And the cleanest and newest and by far the prettiest. My best friend here in Nashville is from Irvine, her husband is from Newport Beach. Even though they have family there, they are gradually getting the family members to relocate to Nashville. I think Nashville is what LA USED to be like.
You pretty much have to come here and see it to believe it. I know I thought I would hate it here but happily that's not the case.
California is a GREAT place to live if you can afford it. And my daughter is dying to get to LA so we're going even though people say I'm crazy to leave this area. But family trumps all else.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:08 PM

653 posts, read 945,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
There's a factor that I think has been only barely touched on in this thread. All my family and friends are in California. I am very close to them. I don't know what it would take for me to move to someplace where I didn't know anybody, but I imagine I would have to be pretty desperate.
Or adventurous.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:21 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
Or adventurous.
Every time I check out places like Alabama I go to that State's appropriate C-D forum and it's getting shredded.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Every time I check out places like Alabama I go to that State's appropriate C-D forum and it's getting shredded.
Hey, I never said Alabama or any other state was awesome. I said it's not necessarily desperation if someone moves to a state that they don't know anyone. It could be a sign of being adventurous or brave.

One could argue that I don't really know anyone well in CA anymore, and they'd probably be right. Am I still moving back? You bet. Am I desperate. Nope. Do I have a stable job that I'm leaving in a recession to make the move. Yes. Did I sell a perfectly good home in a great area in MD just to rent a tiny studio in CA. Uh huh. Do family and friends on the East Coast think I'm nuts and not approve. You bet. Am I still going. Yup.

BTW, seems to me, every city on C-D that I've read about is getting shredded (and for me, it's actually getting a little old). C-D seems to be the place where some people come to complain, so I'd take what you're reading for what it is. Not that there aren't happy people, I just think unhappy people typically have the louder voices.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Hey, I never said Alabama or any other state was awesome. I said it's not necessarily desperation if someone moves to a state that they don't know anyone. It could be a sign of being adventurous or brave.

One could argue that I don't really know anyone well in CA anymore, and they'd probably be right. Am I still moving back? You bet. Am I desperate. Nope. Do I have a stable job that I'm leaving in a recession to make the move. Yes. Did I sell a perfectly good home in a great area in MD just to rent a tiny studio in CA. Uh huh. Do family and friends on the East Coast think I'm nuts and not approve. You bet. Am I still going. Yup.

BTW, seems to me, every city on C-D that I've read about is getting shredded (and for me, it's actually getting a little old). C-D seems to be the place where some people come to complain, so I'd take what you're reading for what it is. Not that there aren't happy people, I just think unhappy people typically have the louder voices.
I agree with you 100%! I'm even considering Panama.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I agree with you 100%! I'm even considering Panama.
Woah! Now that's a move! I'd LOVE to move out of the country. I'd strongly considered it, did a lot of leg work to prepare, but the pet quarantines deterred me. :\

Old 02-16-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Woah! Now that's a move! I'd LOVE to move out of the country. I'd strongly considered it, did a lot of leg work to prepare, but the pet quarantines deterred me. :\
Ya, this would be after all the current critters have moved on. We can always get more critters there if we want. Great climate, cheap and lots of other ex-patriots.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:17 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
We are in the same situation Dclamb3 and I agree with your post 100%..
Leave 99% of family behind go to the 1% in CA.. With young kids in tow.. Not out of desperation... Just following dreams and desires...We are old enough to be "stable", mortgages and stuff like that are not an issue anymore at our age... Yes will we go from 80 acres of beautiful forest and a lake out the front door and out the back door, to a tiny plot of land in CA... But that is the way it is.. I would love to have the "guts" to seriously consider Costa Rica... Maybe next time, Maybe when the kids leave the house....

IMO life is too short to be tied down... Think of the sense of adventure our ancestors had when they made the trip across the Atlantic...

Old 02-16-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
We are in the same situation Dclamb3 and I agree with your post 100%..
Leave 99% of family behind go to the 1% in CA.. With young kids in tow.. Not out of desperation... Just following dreams and desires...We are old enough to be "stable", mortgages and stuff like that are not an issue anymore at our age... Yes will we go from 80 acres of beautiful forest and a lake out the front door and out the back door, to a tiny plot of land in CA... But that is the way it is.. I would love to have the "guts" to seriously consider Costa Rica... Maybe next time, Maybe when the kids leave the house....

IMO life is too short to be tied down... Think of the sense of adventure our ancestors had when they made the trip across the Atlantic...
My Aunt and Uncle lock up the house each fall and head out to where ever their hearts desire with the travel trailer. They always seem to end up out here or Az.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California