Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 09:45 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I lived in Truckee for 40 years, where abouts are you? Roughly, you don't need to give particulars.
Kinda partway between South Lake and Yosemite at 4000' elevation.

Why did you leave Truckee?

Old 02-14-2012, 10:07 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Somewheres along 49 I should imagine..

Good country, though a bit warm in the Summer.

We left for a congregation of reasons. I could take early retirement, as did my wife. My aged mother back on the home farm needed us, and, I got tired, finally of plowing snow. Kid were growing up, only one left at home.

So we are on the coast, in the land of never hot never cold on the farm I swore I would never return to.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:16 AM

653 posts, read 945,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I love how people say this as if these are trivial expenses. Housing is one's biggest expense by far.
...The inland areas have cheaper real estate than the coast, but it's typically still more expensive than the U.S. average.
mysticaltyger, agreed. I often wonder where the people who say CA isn't more expensive than another state actually live. Aside from a few states, that simply isn't a true statement.

Numbers don't lie. Either sales tax is higher or it's not. Either home cost for an equal home is higher or it's not. Either income tax is higher or it's not. Either gas is higher or it's not. Either electricity (and therefore, nearly everything you buy at a local store) is higher or it's not.

I think we should hang up our hats, and let them learn on their own. They'll learn when they look at their mortgage bill, electric bill, gas receipt, income statement, etc. Or maybe they won't. Depends on whether they actually read those little pesky pieces of paper or not.

I'm not CA bashing, by any means. CA is the love of my life, second only to my pups. However, I have a deep-rooted obsession with numbers (don't ask). Some say I abuse spreadsheets to the point that I should be paying my Excel docs at least minimum wage because I put them to work so much. Numbers (not statistics - that's an entire other beast) simply do not lie. Period. People who refuse to acknowledge the numbers, well, that's an entire other thing and a huge reason I'm happy to not be an auditor.

As to the OP, great question! I've often asked myself where my Plan B would be, should I not be able to feed myself in CA. I'm still deciding, but I love the responses on here.

Last edited by dclamb3; 02-14-2012 at 10:34 AM..

Old 02-14-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Somewheres along 49 I should imagine..

Good country, though a bit warm in the Summer.

We left for a congregation of reasons. I could take early retirement, as did my wife. My aged mother back on the home farm needed us, and, I got tired, finally of plowing snow. Kid were growing up, only one left at home.

So we are on the coast, in the land of never hot never cold on the farm I swore I would never return to.
We're actually 10 miles east of 49. Summers are mild-use the AC maybe 10 days a year. I can understand the snow thing. We had 14 feet of it last season (usually get four or five). Good thing we like the snow.

The central coast is nice.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:02 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
14 feet was pretty normal for us, I had 3/4 mile to plow to get to the county road. Then commute 50 miles to Reno.

the Central Coast is actually my second choice, we are here primarily to care for my mother. We have land in several places in Nevada, My first choice is near Austin Nevada, lots of empty land to wander around in.

We are happy here though. Those who complain about California seem to be urban dwellers on the lower end of the economic scale.

The landscape of CA cannot be beat, we can be in the Sierra High Country in 4 or 5 hours, and in our local wilderness lands within the hour. Deserts to high mountains, this state has it all.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:27 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
... I often wonder where the people who say CA isn't more expensive than another state actually live. ...
A shot from my [entirely affordable] open doorway:

Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by Marka; 10-26-2013 at 12:36 AM..

Old 02-14-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
We are happy here though. Those who complain about California seem to be urban dwellers on the lower end of the economic scale.
I am tempted to start a thread...give me an hour.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
A shot from my [entirely affordable] open doorway:
Gorgeous! And agreed. It is entirely affordable, but that doesn't change the fact that it costs more than living many other places (which was the point I believe mysticaltyger was trying to make). I'd pay the current CA cost of living and then some, just to be on the CA coast. But that doesn't mean it's less expensive than many other places I choose to pass up. It just is what it is.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
14 feet was pretty normal for us, I had 3/4 mile to plow to get to the county road. Then commute 50 miles to Reno.
That sounds like my idea of torture. Sn*w is a 4-letter word in my house.

I have friends that love it. We think the other is equally nuts, so I suppose it goes both ways.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:13 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The overall taxes is as well as insurence rates are what too few consider. Most everyone just looks at income taxes, not thinking of property taxes, cost of property, sales tax, car registration, etc. You understand this, I do, but many do not.

Most definitely. Yes overall cost of housing and property taxes take a huge bite out of one's budget. As in Calif. However there are other taxes to consider. A high sales tax also takes a huge bite out of people's budgets, and it seems many don't realize that. Consider a state that also has state income tax. High vehicle auto registration and vehicle property taxes. High car insurance rates. People need to look at the overall burden and some low tax states really are not all that cheap.

I think many of the southern states have a very high and broad tax base/burden. The sales taxes consist of state, city and county in many of those states. Even groceries are taxed in many areas. That really adds up yet many think living in the south is cheap. The housing might be abit cheaper, but sales taxes could overwhelm a lower income person.

California is a very high COL state, but I'm not always sure its total tax burden is worse than many others. At least outside the big Metro's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California