Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 04:35 PM

11 posts, read 38,311 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I moved to Santa Cruz last year after 5 years of deliberating. I had a project in Berkeley and client work in Santa Cruz. Now I'm finishing up and am determining where to live in the state. I work in alternative medicine, am looking for a quiet, safe, clean space that isn't too outrageous for a small cottage rental and is within 1 hour of the beach/cliffs. I am thinking of staying the monterey/santa cruz area but wondered if there are any other options that might be just as nice and not as expensive. I work a lot from home so am flexible. I also want a drug-free area. Thanks! Satya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 04:49 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,169 times
Somewhere in Sonoma county perhaps?
Healdsburg?
It's less than an hour from the coast.
I imagine it's a bit less expensive than Santa Cruz and/or Monterey County.
Or you could go way north into Humboldt county if that area appeals to you.
A drug free area may be a bit much to ask for.
But given that desire it sounds like you may feel more comfortable in one of the coastal communities of Monterey county if you decide to stay around the Monterey Bay.
As you know though, finding that affordable "cottage" is a challenge.
Btw, i checked out your other post. ("satya" made me curious )
I used to live in Santa Fe, N.M..
Since you seem to be interested in or perhaps drawn to the southwest, you might want to check out Santa Fe as well as Taos (Taos is a bit isolated / removed though).
You can find some truly beautiful rentals that are surprisingly affordable.
And given that you work with alternative medicine, it may be a really good place for you.
It's more than an hour from the coast though.
http://santafe.craigslist.org/

Last edited by jaijai; 02-16-2012 at 05:11 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 04:58 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,422 times
What does 'drug free' mean to you? I doubt there's a block in all of California without some weed smokers and/or coke users around.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:00 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
What does 'drug free' mean to you? I doubt there's a block in all of California without some weed smokers and/or coke users around.
Or abusers of prescription drugs.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:36 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namasterising View Post
Hi,
I moved to Santa Cruz last year after 5 years of deliberating. I had a project in Berkeley and client work in Santa Cruz. Now I'm finishing up and am determining where to live in the state. I work in alternative medicine, am looking for a quiet, safe, clean space that isn't too outrageous for a small cottage rental and is within 1 hour of the beach/cliffs. I am thinking of staying the monterey/santa cruz area but wondered if there are any other options that might be just as nice and not as expensive. I work a lot from home so am flexible. I also want a drug-free area. Thanks! Satya
Boy you want want a lot of people want... I would say Sonoma county is just about as expensive as Santa Cruz county, maybe a bit less "congested".. Maybe San Louis Obispo county, is worth exploring for you.. Say the inland towns along 101, not to far to the coast or SLO proper, but cheaper. Especially if you have the ability to escape the heat in the peak of summer.. Either that or Mendocino/Fort Bragg area tight on the coast.. Sure Pot is a big part of the counties economy, but personally I can think of quite a few places that are more "drug/party" related... Mostly just quiet alternative thinking people up there. It is my feeling the coast does not feel "drug infested" like some of the inland areas of Mendocino county do.. Plenty of seasonal residents with the lifestyles that may be very good for your business.. No need to escape the heat...

What kind of alternative medicine do you practice?

Old 02-17-2012, 11:02 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
I would say stay in Santa Cruz. It is a progressive area that needs as much health care as they can muster. Drug Free is a bit difficult. I couldnt live with out my Rx drugs. Plus you gotta love an area that grows such large healthy stands of poison oak!

Old 02-17-2012, 11:04 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
I would say stay in Santa Cruz. It is a progressive area that needs as much health care as they can muster. Drug Free is a bit difficult. I couldnt live with out my Rx drugs. Plus you gotta love an area that grows such large healthy stands of poison oak!
There are a glut of alternative health workers in the county.
And it's extremely expensive and very difficult to find a free standing dwelling for one person that is affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California