Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:10 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times

Advertisements

Because our system insists on placing kids into the classroom who lack either the language skills or, because of their more-transient family life, are less prepared than some of their counterparts. Due to limited funding, teachers are forced to spend an inordinate amount of time dealing with the immigrants, which detracts from the time they spend on the children of the parents who are paying the bills of the illegals. Any other questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 09:48 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Because our system insists on placing kids into the classroom who lack either the language skills or, because of their more-transient family life, are less prepared than some of their counterparts. Due to limited funding, teachers are forced to spend an inordinate amount of time dealing with the immigrants, which detracts from the time they spend on the children of the parents who are paying the bills of the illegals. Any other questions?
Not really white flight but middle class flight.
It's quite a problem. They halted busing which helped immensely and will continue to do so as long as it isn't started again. We won't send our kids to the schools in our hood because the grade averages are poor. It just so happens that the number of ESL students is still quite large even after the busing stopped. I feel for the Teachers as they cannot control who they get to teach yet have to deal with NCLB and race to the top style programs that fail by default. In my opinion, that money would be better spent improving the schools and environment in the poorer hoods vs trying to spread the poverty out over entire areas. This causes anyone who can afford to move do just that.

If you want to see middle class flight just cram some section 8 or vouchers into a middle class neighborhood.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:18 AM

622 posts, read 1,723,500 times
There's a lot of things that factor population fluctuation. I agree with 1AngryTaxPayer in that it is more likely an economic shift.

To add a personal point, my family and I have been disliked for being "too white" and "too not-white" depending on who you talk to, and where we were at the time. My skin color hasn't changed, I find it rather amusing- though admittedly in a pathetic way. There are haters of every skin color. The major difference I've noticed is that browner peoples generally seem to feel like it's OK to be anti-white because there's no social or governmental backlash, and whiter peoples seem to be expressing a growing resentment because there is a double standard.

That being said, all haters are usually in the minority, and we've never failed to find people who accept us and like us for who we are and not what we look like.
My observations are that income-class stratas are more stringent than race-based ones.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:41 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
So this (in red) is how someone repped me. I imagine it was the poster who (whom?) i responded to but i don't know that so god forbid i slander anyone.
Why he/she couldn't just express this openly is strange but whatever.
Maybe it's 'cause he/she doesn't want to be perceived as racist. Because of course it's o.k. to be a racist but certainly not to be perceived as one.

"Get over yourself and how good your'e feeling about your preference. Many people like it or tolerate it as well but it is scientific fact that wanting to be with your own is human nature across borders, nothing wrong or unnatural about that either."

First, if you're going to use science for support it's good to be able to provide studies, stats, whatever, etc..
And it's not that there's anything "wrong" with it (i was not essentially coming from a moral place) but as this country changes demographically it's going to be really important, imo, that people become more tolerant and more open and more capable of living with diversity, ie; living with each other ... you know your fellow human beings that are essentially just like you.

Last edited by jaijai; 02-18-2012 at 11:52 AM..

Old 02-19-2012, 03:16 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
The thing about life is we have alot of high paying jobs and then we have alot of low paying jobs.

And in our nature we segregate instead of unite. The families with high paying jobs stick to families that are similar.

The more middle, upper middle, and upper class move in, then the more need for services with lower end jobs. Look at who works at restaurants, laundromats, etc...

Look at who tils our fields?

Unfortunately not everyone wants an education, so people are stuck with taking lower end jobs. And then there is the push to give social services that make people complacent in where they are at.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:24 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Basically is comes down to fear... whether real or perceived.

No one group is immune...

Back in the 1930's... public schools in Oakland California were not segregated... my father was lifelong friends with kids he went to school with that included African American, White, Asian and American Indian...

Just about all parents want the best for their kids... to some it means getting them into schools with high test scores... which probably has more to due with family income then race...

I know or work with people and this is my observation... people will move from one city to another for better schools with the people in the better district moving to the best and then for some... the best district isn't good enough and they send their kids to top private schools at 30 to 40k per year...

Old 02-19-2012, 03:45 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Oh no! Black and Brown people! My heavens - we can't move HERE!

Racial hangups are silly. It would be nice if all acknowledged others as human beings instead of white, black, brown, etc...The danger comes when it becomes de jure law that people must mix - forced busing was a tragic example of busybody politicians insisting that people "integrate".

Anyways, in the scenario the OP addressed, it appears individual and families are making there own choices as to where to live, and in what communities to associate with. Someone earlier in the thread said that "there is something wrong" with individuals choosing to be with those like themselves. What is wrong? Free choice is ruling the desicion making. I choose to associate with many different races and cultures, and I am only aware of the racial differences now because I am typing this. In reality it is my buddy Frank or Jorge - not my Hispanic friend Frank or Jorge. They think of me as Michael - not that white guy.

That is me - if someone else chooses to associate with people of there own race - who are any of us to judge that decision? Then some politician will notice that a geographical area is self-segregated racially and think that they have to do something to "right" this "wrong".

Let us get past racial judgments and simply act as agents with free will and let chips fall as they may.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:54 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I grew up in a nice, middle-class, white neighborhood. I went to the grade same school with most of the kids I grew up with....we lived in the same neighborhood.

The middle and high school in my neighborhood was where I SHOULD HAVE GONE for my later schooling. But thanks to the insane, filthy, corrupt policy of FORCED INTEGRATION/BUSING....well, I had to get up an hour earlier and go catch a bus to a school that was totally alien to me..........thanks a lot INSANE DO-GOODERS.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:51 PM

412 posts, read 1,152,757 times
Here's a good example: I went to Fairview Elementary in Hayward, California. It used to be mostly whites back in the 1980's, now it's currently mostly african americans and other. I have no idea what caused that to change.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:01 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
I have no idea what caused that to change.
Churn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California