Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:02 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,195 times

Advertisements

I have read in other places that surfers will keep folks who are not local off public beaches. Is this a big problem? Do they keep just other surfers off,or all people they feel are not local? The old info found here mentioned that local police knew it was happening, but did nothing.

Is this a problem on all beaches that are public, or just certain ones?

I was raised on the shore in the Northeast. In our state, the beaches of the town were for the locals only while the state beaches were for everyone. Well, make that anyone who had the rather high admission fee. All that is lousy, I know, but I understand that some beaches are maybe town beaches. Is that the case in CA?

This is a concern for me, because if we do relocate to CA one thing I enjoy doing is beachcombing, and sometimes hanging out at the beach. I also like to clean the junk off the beach, too. It's just something I have to do. I am not a surfer, or much of a swimmer, either.

I am concerned a bunch of young surfer dudes will end up chasing us off the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 04:30 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Just don't gank my break and you'll be fine.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:39 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times

Surf Punks - Locals Only *[RARE]* - YouTube

Old 03-02-2012, 04:52 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Some try, but there's nothing backing them up. Keyword is public.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:11 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
Where did you get that idea?
I've never anything like that kind of problem in Santa Cruz county and S.C. surfers are known to be rather .... ummmm, gnarly / proprietary.
It would probably be a different here if you were a novice surfer in the water.
Then you'd get some attitude.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:17 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Where did you get that idea?
I've never anything like that kind of problem in Santa Cruz county and S.C. surfers are known to be rather .... ummmm, gnarly / proprietary.
It would probably be a different here if you were a novice surfer in the water.
Then you'd get some attitude.
I grew up in SoCal and remember the "Locals Only" graffiti. I think I saw it an Rincon, right about where Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties come together, while driving on 101. I agree with the bold part. I don't think they care if you are beachcombing or using the beach to get some sun. I think they care if you are an unknown surfer to them. It's a culture I never understood and don't miss. Instead of making films that make fun of it, like "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," a film providing an insight into the culture would be beneficial. And, I'm talking about people whose mere existence is to surf.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:46 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
80s flashback: Locals only d___!

Old 03-02-2012, 06:46 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I grew up in SoCal and remember the "Locals Only" graffiti. I think I saw it an Rincon, right about where Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties come together, while driving on 101. I agree with the bold part. I don't think they care if you are beachcombing or using the beach to get some sun. I think they care if you are an unknown surfer to them. It's a culture I never understood and don't miss. Instead of making films that make fun of it, like "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," a film providing an insight into the culture would be beneficial. And, I'm talking about people whose mere existence is to surf.
I don't surf (next life ... i'm coming back to surf big waves ) but i actually love the culture albeit from a distance.
I don't love the nasty punk attitude however.

Kem Nunn has a few novels that give insight into the culture.
"Tijuana Straits" was, imo, the best.
"Tapping the Source" was his first surf novel and most of it takes place in SoCal ... Hunington Beach.
"Dogs of Winter" was lots of fun.
There's also a novel called "Surf Dot Com" by Fred Reiss .... not the best work of fiction but a fun, interesting and insightful look into the Santa Cruz surf scene and the dot commers infiltration of it.
There's also some excellent surf documentaries with both incredible footage and in depth and really interesting / inspiring history of the world / culture of surfing which is, essentially, rather pure imo.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:47 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
You have a good memory.

There was another classic in that area, someone put graffiti on a sound wall in between Ventura and Camarillo: "Nuke LA!" ...

Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
All beaches in CA are public! ALL.
Even in Malibu, those pristine white stretches of sand with private estates on them...public. Folks there tried to make the passage ways 'private property'-er, to say it was private property keep out-if you are in the know, however, you know to ignore those signs, as it's just a strategy for privacy, but not a legal one.

Regarding surfing-I can only speak to san diego, but la jolla shores and del mar as big tourist surf spots; lots of surf schools set up, lots of kids summer camps [same in parts of carlsbad and oceanside]....These beaches in my mind are quite mellow; veteran surfers are not hostile towards newcomers.... I have heard, howver, that OB and PB, some of the old-school spots, can be unwelcoming, to say the least.

I am not sure if the OP is talking about using the beaches, or surfing? If you are talking about beachcoming, walking, running/excercising, etc, then no, you will never be 'run off by hoodlums'.

You'll find beaches have different vibes-party beaches, family beaches, more 'nature walk 'beaches [esp in central and nor cal], and 'windy as h*ll beaches that I never want to walk on again'....lol

Every beach that's surfable has surf zone and swim zone during the busy seasons [in so cal, anyway]. The lifeguards enforce it. The beaches belong to everyone, except the dogs, unless it's a dog beach.(:

I was also raised in the northeast [mass.], but inland slightly. It's a completely different coastal culture in CA.
Also, I've almost never found 'junk' on san diego or sonoma/marin beaches (except for children's toys or an off flip-flop left behind)....they are very clean. As is Santa Barbara. At least the beaches I frequent are supremely clean. Crews regularly maintain them, with special forces after major summer holidays! Then again, I don't go to Mission Beach or Venice beach very often....
Also, keep in mind that CA's coastline is MUCH longer than the NE's. And much more accessible. You have more options, and don't need to share them all with surfers of a certain attitude, anyway.

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-02-2012 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California