Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 7,784 times

Advertisements

I grew up most of my life in Newport Beach. I lived a number of years in Santa Cruz moved back to Southern California met my wife then we moved to Bellingham, WA for seven years and moved back. Bottom line is we love the climate and geography of this area. Although, we are definitely more of the small town, outdoorsy, socially liberal type of folks. Don't want to be completely removed from the finer things but don't like being smack dab in the middle. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 12:47 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
Anywhere within 10 miles of the Pacific and outside of Orange County.

Seriously - CA is an extremely liberal state, with people fitting that description living almost everywhere. Instead of us throwing out names of cities - what other criteria is necessary? Proximity to work? Budget? Home prices?

I don't mean to come off as rude or unhelpful, but the list of possible places is so long that its prohibitive to helping you out.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:08 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,043 times
Santa Monica? I'd suggest Santa Cruz but that is way up the coast and is a lot chillier than SoCal.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:39 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,597 times
Forget SoCal, your best bet is probably the central coast. Look towards Santa Barbara or Ventura. SoCal is too dirty and too crowded.

I know in my case, there's no way in hell I'd live south of Camarillo.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,784 times
I've actually lived in Santa Cruz, too gloomy and cold for me. Santa Barbara is a bit expensive, that's actually where I'm originally from. Just looking for a cool little area, doesn't have to be to close to the ocean, I really like the sage and the sunshine, a hacienda would be my dream.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:59 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Forget SoCal, your best bet is probably the central coast. Look towards Santa Barbara or Ventura. SoCal is too dirty and too crowded.

I know in my case, there's no way in hell I'd live south of Camarillo.
I'm mostly in agreement with zhuge which is in large part why I left SoCal. However if staying in SoCal is an absolute must, those areas that can be considered socially liberal in the sense you likely understand it are small by comparison and are often surrounded by places you'd rather not be. I'm most familiar with San Diego which really doesn't have too many places to choose from. However most of the middle parts of town are actually quite liberal such as University Heights, Hillcrest and Mission Hills. The rest of the city is moderate at best and quite conservative for the most part. Other cities in the metro area are more liberal like National City and Chula Vista. The former most people try to avoid and the latter has a bad rep too but after having lived there twice in the years I was in SD, it's much over stated. The rest of SD county is not for liberal minded people.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Laguna Beach.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:00 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,861,555 times
Try Needles, Buttonwillow, Barstow, and San Bernardino.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:01 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Try Needles, Buttonwillow, Barstow, and San Bernardino.
Liberal, not in-bred conservative bible-thumpers.
Although if I lived in Needles, I'd probably turn to God to. Gotta hold out for some hope that this isn't all life is.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Liberal, not in-bred conservative bible-thumpers.
Although if I lived in Needles, I'd probably turn to God to. Gotta hold out for some hope that this isn't all life is.
Yeah that had to be a joke. No way those areas are liberal in the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California