Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 12:17 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Hmm...from the description that certainly could be it. But I'll have to smell it at some point to confirm. But why exactly do they smell of it though? Its so strong......are they wearing it as a perfume??! Regardless, now I know, I've wondered for years but kept forgetting to ask or look it up.
Yep, as a perfume.. a little goes a long ways, and you know how young people often put to much perfume on... With Patchouli being so strong it can really be a over whelming..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 12:18 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
whereas I dislike, intensely, at all times, arrogant, effete, pseudo-intellectual fops who derive personal pleasure from ridiculing salt-of-the-earth approaches to life.
There's an ignore button for that....

Old 03-04-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Yep, as a perfume.. a little goes a long ways, and you know how young people often put to much perfume on... With Patchouli being so strong it can really be a over whelming..
That's weird as the smell is terrible to the uninitiated, must operate as some sort of social marker for them. I rarely smell it on younger people anymore, mostly 40+ and 30's here and there.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:26 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
There's an ignore button for that....
What? Recognize someone who fits the description, user?
Anyway, I never said anything about wanting to "ignore" toads ... you are just reading whatever you want into my posts.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
What? Recognize someone who fits the description, user?
No, just know that you're trying to, indirectly, poke at me. I really don't "dislike" anybody, ,but I'd imagine that when someone does dislike another they'd want to avoid them. But I guess some folks are just sadists?

Old 03-04-2012, 12:38 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,639 times
Quote:
That's weird as the smell is terrible to the uninitiated, must operate as some sort of social marker for them. I rarely smell it on younger people anymore, mostly 40+ and 30's here and there.
You have some very ignorant / limited notions and yet you have an inflated sense of your degree of knowledge and awareness. Dangerous (and all too common) combo.
Regarding patchouli ... it's a very strong and provocative scent.
People tend to either really, really like it or have an extremely strong aversion to it and it often has nothing to do with the persona of an individual or how he/she is oriented politically or socially.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:44 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
No, just know that you're trying to, indirectly, poke at me. I really don't "dislike" anybody, ,but I'd imagine that when someone does dislike another they'd want to avoid them. But I guess some folks are just sadists?
Well, as I suggested: you appear to be recognizing yourself.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:45 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Back in the sixties it was used to mask the smell of mj smoking. My dad thought patchouli WAS the smell of mj. I find it nauseating.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
You have some very ignorant / limited notions and yet you have an inflated sense of your degree of knowledge and awareness.
Oh yeah? So then you disagree, namely, you don't think the scent operates as a social marker for the subculture? Seem pretty clear cut to me, but do you have another anthropological explanation?

Oh another note, calling people "ignorant" is a popular new age meme, which is sorta ironic though interesting as a protective measure for the belief system. In Judeo-Christian systems those that disbelieve are often described as being influenced by "Satan", where as here a more secular notion is being employed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Regarding patchouli ... it's a very strong and provocative scent.
Oh yes.....I see where this is going. Let's ignore the anthropology, instead focus on emic matters. What else is it believed to do?

Old 03-04-2012, 12:59 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,639 times
Quote:
Oh yeah? So then you disagree, namely, you don't think the scent operates as a social marker for the subculture? Seem pretty clear cut to me, but do you have another anthropological explanation?

Oh yes.....I see where this is going. Let's ignore the anthropology, instead focus on emic matters. What do you mean by provocative? What else is it believed to do?
Do you think that all scent is worn as a "social marker"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California